Question for those fluent!

Alisteal

Reaction score
Me and my daughter are learning together and IS there a sign for Yogurt? I was looking in my ASL book and online and can't find anything! Yogurt is one of my daughters favourite things and I really want her to learn the signs of her favourite foods and such first. Can anyone help

Ummm... Im not fluent, but why not just fingerspell, or make a home sign??

Well I have my own sign that I used to my husband, friends, etc and I don't care if they said that it is not ASL. They haven't shown me any better sign for yogurt (I have seen one but I don't like it)...

I sign with a manual "Y" and circle it on my cheek... you know the sign for "wine", "beer", etc? Do the same circular motion used for those words but with "Y"!

My husband said that the ASL sign for yogurt is having your palm outright and facing up... then you use your another hand to make a "Y" and move that "Y" with your pinkie from the palm to your mouth as if you are eating from the bowl... I think it is ridiculous.

Apparently there are many parents like you who tried to figure out the "yogurt" sign!
@ http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/pages-signs/y/yogurt.htm
Joy,
Most adult Deaf will tell you to fingerspell the concept "yogurt."
I have seen an initialized version of the sign ICE-CREAM done with a "Y" handshape instead of an "S" handshape.
Some people criticize that sign as being "Signed English." I personally have no problem with it other than it conflicts somewhat with a variation of "mistake" that means "to make repeated errors." You might even see the sign "SOUP" initialized with a "Y" handshape. Again, this is not "standard." Only time will tell if either of those signs gains a foothold in the community. Or some other sign may eventually become popular.
Bill

LOL it's nice to know I'm not alone in my quest. Gnarly dorkette I'm going to steal your way of doing it. Makes the most sence imo

I use "Y" in a circular motion on my chin, without using the left hand (palm up).

my daughter does a y hand shape on the back of her non dominant hand, and sort of rocks it back and forth a couple of times for yogurt.

My husband said that the ASL sign for yogurt is having your palm outright and facing up... then you use your another hand to make a "Y" and move that "Y" with your pinkie from the palm to your mouth as if you are eating from the bowl

Yup, that's the sign the Deaf in our area use. (Albany, NY)

:angel: My foster son and I had to come up with a sign for yogurt, because he likes his meds with yogurt.
So, I take one of my hands like I am holding a cup of yogurt, and with the other hand, the letter Y like I am spooning it out of the cup.

Back