Question for people who had their left ear implanted first.

contradica

Reaction score
I am curious for those that had their left ear implanted first how they did with speech discrimination. I want to see if I can get some comparison on how the left ear did with speech discrimination since the right side of the brain controls it. I am under the impression that the left side of the brain houses the language center.

Could anyone share? :)

My left ear is implanted. I hope to get my right ear implanted one day. You'd have to ask others who had the right ear implanted first as well in order to make a decent comparison.

I'm doing better than anyone expected but I don't recall my scores from my last mapping but I've improved slightly since my last visit. i hope to do MUCH better in Nov when I see my audi again..

I had my left ear implanted too. I have been pleased with my speech discrimination results. About 9 months after surgery, I was scoring 80-90% on sentence testing without visual cues in quiet conditions. It was 0% before surgery!

I am not sure if it's relevent though that I am left handed? I think with left handed people different sides of the brain are supposed to be more dominant?

However, I suspect that previous auditory experience is the most important factor determining outcome.

My left ear is implanted. I hope to get my right ear implanted one day. You'd have to ask others who had the right ear implanted first as well in order to make a decent comparison.

I'm doing better than anyone expected but I don't recall my scores from my last mapping but I've improved slightly since my last visit. i hope to do MUCH better in Nov when I see my audi again..

I got some crazy idea in my head at work today about the left/right brain theory and how the left side of the brain has the language center. It got me thinking how well do people do with the left ear with speech. I am getting my left ear done soon. I think I had a little too much time on my hands at work :) My blog goes more in depth of my ramblings!

I'm right handed but I also can write and draw with my left hand and most don't know the difference.

I had my left ear implanted too. I have been pleased with my speech discrimination results. About 9 months after surgery, I was scoring 80-90% on sentence testing without visual cues in quiet conditions. It was 0% before surgery!

I am not sure if it's relevent though that I am left handed? I think with left handed people different sides of the brain are supposed to be more dominant?

However, I suspect that previous auditory experience is the most important factor determining outcome.

That is pretty good results! I just noticed your signature that you are going bilateral on August 31st. Our surgeries are a couple days apart!! We can moan and groan to each other. :)

I am curious for those that had their left ear implanted first how they did with speech discrimination. I want to see if I can get some comparison on how the left ear did with speech discrimination since the right side of the brain controls it. I am under the impression that the left side of the brain houses the language center.

Could anyone share? :)

Biologically, assuning things are normal (no illness, hearing loss), there is no difference in performance with either the left or right ear since the nerve processing centers within the brain are independent from other sites, regardless of side location. Although, both hearing centers are connected with other areas of the brain for further interpretation.

Biologically, assuning things are normal (no illness, hearing loss), there is no difference in performance with either the left or right ear since the nerve processing centers within the brain are independent from other sites, regardless of side location. Although, both hearing centers are connected with other areas of the brain for further interpretation.

You're right SCBassist.

I think what is confusing is this:
the left side of the brain itself controls the speech
not
the left side ear/hearing = brain/speech.

I Had Ci On My Left Ear Done A Year And Half Ago And I Hope One Day Ill Have My Right Ear Get Done Too

You're right SCBassist.

I think what is confusing is this:
the left side of the brain itself controls the speech
not
the left side ear/hearing = brain/speech.

Yes I agree with you 110% that it is very confusing trying to relay that correctly.

That seems to be the general consensus of "normal" ears that have been implanted so far. It is just a theory why the right side is not suggested first because of the fact that the the left hemisphere of the brain is more for language.

However, when I asked a couple normal hearing person which ear do they hear speech out of better or which ear do they prefer to talk on the telephone with, I got the "right ear" answer.

The brain works in mysterious ways....

Wow I noticed alot of ppl have CI on the left ear. Mine is right. Interested.

That is pretty good results! I just noticed your signature that you are going bilateral on August 31st. Our surgeries are a couple days apart!! We can moan and groan to each other. :)

LOL! That should be good! I love a good whinge. When will your activation be? I rang up my audiologist and we made it for the 24th September, since I had already booked a remapping of the other CI on that date 6 months ago. She just extended it for me.

Wow I noticed alot of ppl have CI on the left ear. Mine is right. Interested.

I'm implanted on the right as well. It all comes down to either left-over-ear-functionality, the decision on which side the processor would look better appearance wise, or which hand you'd think is better to handle the processor.

I'm implanted on the right as well. It all comes down to either left-over-ear-functionality, the decision on which side the processor would look better appearance wise, or which hand you'd think is better to handle the processor.
As for me, my left ear hear better with my hearing aid. So I do not want to lose it!! My right ear hear nothing except static that was it. So that's why I have CI on my right.

Interesting. My audi recommended that I have my left ear implanted as it's my better ear. I was like :eek3:

Interesting. My audi recommended that I have my left ear implanted as it's my better ear. I was like :eek3:
No way!! Don't let them destroy the better ear. If they do then you won't be able to hear it again if CI isnt success!! Please don't. My audiologist told me don't let the best ear destroy, use the weak one!

LOL! That should be good! I love a good whinge. When will your activation be? I rang up my audiologist and we made it for the 24th September, since I had already booked a remapping of the other CI on that date 6 months ago. She just extended it for me.

You will be following me shortly afterwards. My activation date is set for September 17th! How are you feeling with the upcoming surgery?

That is interesting. I never took in account which hand would be able to handle the processor. It really boiled down to choosing my left ear to be the guinea pig so to speak.

Back