Question for Intrepreters

Kitten

Reaction score
Hi. :wave:

I'm currently studying ASL with the hopes of becoming an intrepreter. There is only one school in NYC to obtain the proper education to become an intrepreter, so you can guess that the competition is stiff. Could you please tell me...

1) How many years of ASL study you took prior to being accepted into the intrepreter's program?

2) How difficult was the application process? Did you have to submit a video?

3) Did the person who interviewed you take nervousness into account?

4) How many times you applied?

5) Prior to being accepted into the program, did you have some serious doubts about your skills?

6) Is it so hard that I'll end up in tears?

Thanks much!
Kitten

You're unlikely to get specific answers unless someone who actually attended that school happens across your post. At the school I'm attending, the interpreting program accepts pretty much anybody who meets the minimum requirements (a C or better in all prerequisite ASL classes among other things), but it's an extremely challenging program, and only about 15% of those who enroll make it to graduation which translates to about 10 students. If they were any more selective then it's likely they would only see two or three interpreting graduates a year.

You're unlikely to get specific answers unless someone who actually attended that school happens across your post. At the school I'm attending, the interpreting program accepts pretty much anybody who meets the minimum requirements (a C or better in all prerequisite ASL classes among other things), but it's an extremely challenging program, and only about 15% of those who enroll make it to graduation which translates to about 10 students. If they were any more selective then it's likely they would only see two or three interpreting graduates a year.

I am just curious. Why do you think there is such a poor graduation rate? Are the required skills needed to serve as a terp that difficult? Is the program itself designed to set people up for failure? Perhaps a lack of commitment from the students?

I am just curious. Why do you think there is such a poor graduation rate? Are the required skills needed to serve as a terp that difficult? Is the program itself designed to set people up for failure? Perhaps a lack of commitment from the students?

Very briefly, the program maintains very high standards and bases its curriculum on the advice of a panel made up of professional interpreters and Deaf individuals. A lot of students who make it through the ASL portion of the program think that it'll be just as "easy" to go through the interpreting program as well, and many aren't prepared for the dramatic increase in difficulty, especially those students who got lower than a B in the prerequisite classes. The classes are also partly designed to weed out those who simply aren't ready to be interpreters with instructors (who themselves are working interpreters) often deliberately pushing students outside of their comfort zone in order to prepare them for the challenges of working in the field.

Ultimately, the goal of the program is to produce interpreters who are skilled and competent and ready to begin work as soon as they receive their diplomas.

Thank you so much. I feel a little sick and scared now, but thanks. (I think I need to lay down...)

Sorry, I wasn't trying to make you feel sick. If this is something you are seriously considering as a career, perhaps you should sit down and have a chat with the head of the program at your local school (assuming it's local); or you could at least give them a call. They could give you a better idea about their specific program than you could find here.

Very briefly, the program maintains very high standards and bases its curriculum on the advice of a panel made up of professional interpreters and Deaf individuals. A lot of students who make it through the ASL portion of the program think that it'll be just as "easy" to go through the interpreting program as well, and many aren't prepared for the dramatic increase in difficulty, especially those students who got lower than a B in the prerequisite classes. The classes are also partly designed to weed out those who simply aren't ready to be interpreters with instructors (who themselves are working interpreters) often deliberately pushing students outside of their comfort zone in order to prepare them for the challenges of working in the field.

Ultimately, the goal of the program is to produce interpreters who are skilled and competent and ready to begin work as soon as they receive their diplomas.

Thanks for the information. It really defines how specialized this job is and how important it is to get it right the first time. Definately not a walk in the park. Wishing you every success.

Mountain Man, I was just kidding. The Intrepreters Program seems so difficult and so daunting, I am almost afraid to try. But, if I don't try, I'll never know. I have a year before I can even apply, so, I'm studying, practicing, talking to a few Deaf teachers/friends and volunteering at a local School for the Deaf as much as possible. It just sounds so incredibly hard; which means it's worth it. Good luck to you!

Here's what I know about the ITP program I will be applying to in a couple years (got to get thos darn Gen Ed credits out of the way!)
-They accept 30 students every fall
-There is an application (no big deal, mostly just personal info and whatnot)
-There is an interview (know nothing about this, will find out later. No sense in worrying this early!)
-The program is difficult, but it turns out skilled terps. The program has multiple accredidations that few other schools in the country have.
-As for ASL requirements before entering the programs, aside from the Gen Ed stuff, you are required to have taken (and passed with a 'C' or higher) two ASL classes.
Ummm....oh, it is currently a 2 year program (will change in 2012 when NIC requirements change)
I am super lucky to be going to school where I am. It is less expensive, has a great ITP, and is close to home.

Good luck! Don't be too scared! You will be fine!

The school I'm attending has a stellar reputation though they are not yet accredited. A favorite story among ITP students is how a gal with a PhD in psychology got a few quarters into the program and dropped out because she found it too challenging! It's essentially a four-year degree packed into two-years. I've found it physically and emotionally draining and when I graduate will consider it one of the greatest accomplishments of my life.

The school I'm attending has a stellar reputation though they are not yet accredited. A favorite story among ITP students is how a gal with a PhD in psychology got a few quarters into the program and dropped out because she found it too challenging! It's essentially a four-year degree packed into two-years. I've found it physically and emotionally draining and when I graduate will consider it one of the greatest accomplishments of my life.

It really is a 4 year in the time of a 2 year. I went to school from 8AM to 6PM M,T,Th and W, F 8AM-9PM. But I took a certification in Deaf Culture as well as interpreter prep. (Which honestly you really need to have). The classes are intense. That doesn't mean they won't pass a bad terp tho.

Immerse Emirs yourself in the Deaf community. Volunteer for events. Find events that are interpreted and watch them (go to seminars, plays, workshops, speakers, ANYthing). Chat amongst Deaf folk (that is where you will learn 90% of it).

It is hard, but interpreter is a broad thing unless you go to a specialty program (there are a few just for educational interpreters). Meaning you need to be trained to interpret at a doctors office, a court room, a school, a counseling session, a garage sale, even a symphony.

Good luck! Do the best you can and be passionate: the community that interpreters serve deserve nothing less!

Back