question for interpretors

StoryBoutAGirl

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if any of you who interpret have any hearing loss and how much it affects your work? I have a slight hearing loss and have had partial and total loss in the past (through surgeries and hearing aids I have got a lot of it back) temperarily from chronic ear infections and an accident. Some people tell me that I might not have problems interpreting if I go into that field and others tell me it will be very hard to do.

I don't have hearing loss myself, but I do know another terp who does. He has become hard of hearing, and now wears hearing aides while he works. So far, he is doing fine.

I used to date a woman who had a CI and did interpreting. Smart woman, I had a lot of respect for her.

im a pending certified Deaf interpreter , and i'm deaf and yes it is hard because of all the lingustics that are used in every field, no job comes easy no job too great to say i can't do it when you can say I CAN do it, if you want to continue your field as an interpreter you can always go back and refresh yourself and also add your certification to a CDI which helps the interps who needs a mediator ( those with less ASL Skills) and still maintain your job as an interp. this way you come in a full circle with your chosen carreer choices. good luck :)

Back