Question for HoH/Hearing Aid/Amp users.

sherlokianwisdom

Reaction score
Greetings,
Recently, I was diagnosed with congenital hearing loss that might be hereditary (even though there is no known audio/hearing problems on either side of my family.) I was told it was progressive, and I will most likely need aids before I am 21 (I'm under 18, we'll leave it at that.)
I was prescribed a hearing amp for now, for use with TV, loud places, etc., etc., ad nauseum.
I received that amp today via mail, from Amazon. It is a rechargeable Symphonix. It seems to be helping, but I am noticing what seems to be some static with it. Is that normal? For example, when I walk and move about or adjust the ear-part it sounds like when you move your headphones around, only amplified. I've never worn any kind of aid device, so I'm just curious and want to make sure it's working okay.

I also have an unrelated question... Can the Deaf drive? I had a family member telling me no and someone else telling me yes, and both foreign to the Deaf Community.

Thank you in advance.
-sh

Greetings,
Recently, I was diagnosed with congenital hearing loss that might be hereditary (even though there is no known audio/hearing problems on either side of my family.) I was told it was progressive, and I will most likely need aids before I am 21 (I'm under 18, we'll leave it at that.)
I was prescribed a hearing amp for now, for use with TV, loud places, etc., etc., ad nauseum.
I received that amp today via mail, from Amazon. It is a rechargeable Symphonix. It seems to be helping, but I am noticing what seems to be some static with it. Is that normal? For example, when I walk and move about or adjust the ear-part it sounds like when you move your headphones around, only amplified. I've never worn any kind of aid device, so I'm just curious and want to make sure it's working okay.

I also have an unrelated question... Can the Deaf drive? I had a family member telling me no and someone else telling me yes, and both foreign to the Deaf Community.

Thank you in advance.
-sh
Seriously? Who prescribed an over the counter hearing amplifier from Amazon?

And driving? How do you think we get to work?

I still even remember you from when you joined... This seems unworthy of your self described high intelligence.

My doctor prescribed an amp and said to go over the internet. It was the only one we could find within our budget. I know it is probably not up to standard, but it was what we could get.

And, also, I meant no offence with my question. I argued that the Deaf did drive but wished for a second opinion from one with actual experience.
Thank you, however, for clearing up that final point for me.

What country do you live in? If you are in the USA you need to immediately have your parents request an IEP from you school district. If you are identified with a hearing loss, the school district will cover the cost of your hearing aids.

Souttpaw, thank you for that information, only I wish it were that simple. I live in NYS, USA, but am homeschooled so our local public school is not one of our biggest fans. So, while my curriculum is pretty suited to fit what I need, it just doesn't help with the cost.

Under IDEA you have legal right to services and support i used to teach Deaf ed. Just have your patent contact the director of special ed. And demand a IEP assessment.
Also IEP services cover birth to 21 years old. This is a federal law

Under IDEA you have legal right to services and support i used to teach Deaf ed. Just have your patent contact the director of special ed. And demand a IEP assessment.
Also IEP services cover birth to 21 years old. This is a federal law

Yes, but the provision of special services by school districts to homeschooled students is handled differently by each state. Some states basically say that if you decide to homeschool a child, then you give up the services provided by the school district for an IEP, and that if you want those services to be provided by the school district for your child, you must send your child to the public school to receive them.

I don't know how accurate/up-to-date the following website is, but it does illustrate that there are differences by state in what will be covered for homeschooled children. Look at the requirements for Ohio, New Hampshire and North Carolina, for example: https://www.hslda.org/strugglinglearner/sn_states.asp

WelcomE to all deaf sherlockianwisdom.
yes we drive,
Do your self a favor and begin to learn sign.
Sign will....(refer to my sig)

Yes we do drive!

I have an amp, it was $300 and my audiologist prescribed it. Lasted only a year and a half, after that it started cutting off randomly. I stopped using it for a year. Went back to it about a year and a half ago, fully charged it and........... it doesn't work. Period.

This hunk of junk died on me! $300 for an amp that only worked for 1.5 years is not, in my opinion, worthy of that price tag :roll:

Back