Question for everyone out there!! Please reply!!

all the signs i know that are not in the books....were taught to me by deaf friends...you know the ones that will make you blush or get mad!!!:giggle:

The only problem for pfh-does others "understand his use of ASL concepts "?

Curiosity: Just checked some ASL books- the word/concept" penis". Nothing in the index.
ASL the easy Way- David Stewart-Barrons1998
Signing Made Easy- R R Butterworth & M Flodin Perigee 1989
Signing How to speak with your Hands Elaine Costello Bantam Books 1988
Gallaudet Survival Guide to Signing L G Lane Gallaudet University Press 1993

Implanted AB Harmony activated Aug/07

Sadly.... MANY people understand it. :)

Curiosity: Just checked some ASL books- the word/concept" penis". Nothing in the index.

You would not find it in there. The concept, or signing it, is probably too racy for ASL books. Believe me, I've seen it signed conceptually. :)

the nzsl does http://www.deafquip.com.au/concise-dictionary-of-nz-sign-language-xidp129072.html

and theres a book just for sexual signs in asl [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Signs-Sexual-Behavior-Introduction-Sex-Related/dp/0932666027]Amazon.com: Signs of Sexual Behavior: An Introduction to Some Sex-Related Vocabulary in American Sign Language (9780932666024): James Woodward: Books[/ame]

Couldn't figure out how to load the video. But curious people can follow this link, and it will be found in the main dictionary section.

http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi

The link work for me

You would not find it in there. The concept, or signing it, is probably too racy for ASL books. Believe me, I've seen it signed conceptually. :)

Couldn't figure out how to load the video. But curious people can follow this link, and it will be found in the main dictionary section.

http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi

How nice, the sign for penis is just below the sign for penetration.

The two books, "Signs of Sexual Behavior" and "Signs of Drug Abuse" and accompanying DVD's are out there and relatively cheap. Also on Youtube are quite a few people showing the "unacceptable" signs.

How nice, the sign for penis is just below the sign for penetration.

The two books, "Signs of Sexual Behavior" and "Signs of Drug Abuse" and accompanying DVD's are out there and relatively cheap. Also on Youtube are quite a few people showing the "unacceptable" signs.

:hmm: You shouldn't know these things, Berry.

Quite obviously, they do. Did you read the original post?

Try actually communicating with Deaf people. You'd be surprised what you can learn.:cool2:

First question for the hearing person from me: "How did you know I am deaf or did you just assume I know ASL?" Here I am guessing your topic is about stranger-to-stranger. Of course, if the hearing person already knows me, then my reaction will be different. Give us a little more detial of just what you are asking us.

Hearing people had sign to me assuming I know ASL , I tell the person I do not know how to sign ,it does bug me that some hearing people assume I know ASL. I am not sure if they're thinking if I am really HOH I should know ASL!

I would be very very afraid if that happened to me because I would think that hearing person would try to suck me into joining a religious cult or sell me something.

I would be very very afraid if that happened to me because I would think that hearing person would try to suck me into joining a religious cult or sell me something.

In addition to the comment, I would not be happy if they changed me to be like the hearing person. I don't know how I have struggled so hard to let the hearing people know how I felt that I want to be a Deaf person. I love to sign which is easier to understand than trying to understand by lipreading. The hearing people don't know anything about deafness, but they said they knew all about deafness. Gawd, they are not the ones going through the deafness experiences. We, Deafies and HOH are the ones that have gone into the road knowing about deafness experiences. Also I don't like hearing people force us to be like them. Sorry for the rant. :(

It would depend. For example, if I was going to pay for gas, I just want to pay for gas and go. I don't want to have a conversation with someone showing off their ASL skills.

If a person was buying a bike from me and they were excited that I knew ASL, they won't mind having a conversation with me.

Wait, really? After just a few ASL classes, he knew the signs for "penises"?

That is totally not in the first few chapters of my ASL book.

Just like to say, I'm taking an ASL 1 course in High School, and mostly everyone who is even half interested in ASL knew the "forbidden" signs a couple weeks in the class! How do we learn them? Usually one person looks it up on the internet and before you know it it has spread like wildfire! :laugh2:

Our ASL teacher is pretty cool too, though she would never let anyone get away with signing a bad word inside of class, she "looks the other way" outside of class and is just happy people are signing.

It is very interesting to read some of these comments, I would like to apologize though, as i try to have conversations with deaf to try out my "skills" as you put it, however it is merely excitement to use the language and in no mean is meant to offend although i can see why it would be frustrating. As for the "penis" signs and so forth, my ASL teacher will tell us to be careful and make sure we do not mess a sign up if it is similar to a "forbidden sign" I.E, every day/menstrual, whore/water:wine,mother/bitch so we do not accidentally make the sign incorrectly. As for the ASL assuming part, i always ask if it is ok to use ASL, IN ASL; Would this be disrespectful?

Back