Question for everyone out there!! Please reply!!

jenn13

Reaction score
Hello! So I'm doing a project for my ASL 4 class and I can't find any information on the topic. I was hoping I could get some feedback from this site. My topic is "How do Deaf people feel when a hearing person approaches them in public using sign language?" I would love to hear what everyone has to say!!! Thank you!!!

If a hearing person approaches me using sign language? Just like anyone else. Depends on the individules and how they are being approached. Each person is different some are shy, friendly, or just plain outright rude. I feel it varies from people to people.. In general... strangers approaching me, always makes me uneasy at first.

Hello! So I'm doing a project for my ASL 4 class and I can't find any information on the topic. I was hoping I could get some feedback from this site. My topic is "How do Deaf people feel when a hearing person approaches them in public using sign language?" I would love to hear what everyone has to say!!! Thank you!!!

I'd advise going up to several deaf people in your area and signing to them, and see how they respond/react.

First question for the hearing person from me: "How did you know I am deaf or did you just assume I know ASL?" Here I am guessing your topic is about stranger-to-stranger. Of course, if the hearing person already knows me, then my reaction will be different. Give us a little more detial of just what you are asking us.

I am always afraid they want to convert me, or tell about their churches mission to the deaf. This has happened more than one time.

There was a hearing guy who saw me talking about penises as his first exposure to the deaf world after taking a few ASL classes.

He was shocked.

We weren't born yesterday.. Just a heads up.

There was a hearing guy who saw me talking about penises as his first exposure to the deaf world after taking a few ASL classes.

He was shocked.

You talk about penises often?

He was shocked.

Wait, really? After just a few ASL classes, he knew the signs for "penises"?

That is totally not in the first few chapters of my ASL book.

Daredevel7 said:
You talk about penises often?

Who doesn't?

Last edited:
Wow this has gone in a completely different direction then what I was expecting. lol My project is due on Monday. The direction I was going with it was just how it says. I want to know if Deaf people are open to hearing people signing to them or not so much. I understand that there are certain circumstances where no one would want to be approached and I will talk about that in my presentation. But for me, I am not the fastest signer out there and I would hate to make someone irritated with me because I can't get my point across quick enough. Thanks everyone for your feedback!!!!!

i feel, out of nature, that my body is auto filled of full of respect for this guy or her. its special. its a bit like they're our guardians. especially ones who are as fluent as deafies. cos they interpretes us throughout without gettin tired, they do get tired but they r happy 2 do it u know wot i mean. they will get offended if they hear that hearing ppl says nasty things about deaf ppl. they r determined. to tell u truth. yes these ppl i love. but there r also other side of people that just learn sign language, for money gain. i dont like them. cos its good money for interpreting sign language. i totally understand yeah but i dont like when i can feel that some of them who r at basic level or so, not fluent or highest level, approaches to me with intention of increasing knowledge of sign language cos they want good job with good pay, so i feel like being used. i dont like it. i tell them, go to sign class or pub where deafies meets up.

I always have drunk people come up to me at bars and sign the few signs they know had one girl come up sign thank you... I was confused thanks for what then she signed whore turns out they were the only signs she knew

That I find rude or when people come up to my daughter while at a restaurant and sign the abc's, she's 7 she knows her abc's and is not impressed that they felt it was necessary to interrupt our conversation to show their 'skill' they wouldn't do that to a hearing child...

So like everyone else has said it depends on time, place, situation and reason I guess, I think if it would be an inappropriate time to approach a random hearing person then the same applies.

Wait, really? After just a few ASL classes, he knew the signs for "penises"?

That is totally not in the first few chapters of my ASL book.

Who doesn't?
Yes, really, StSapphire. It would be very hard to misunderstand what I was saying. I use concepts often.

The only problem for pfh-does others "understand his use of ASL concepts "?

Curiosity: Just checked some ASL books- the word/concept" penis". Nothing in the index.
ASL the easy Way- David Stewart-Barrons1998
Signing Made Easy- R R Butterworth & M Flodin Perigee 1989
Signing How to speak with your Hands Elaine Costello Bantam Books 1988
Gallaudet Survival Guide to Signing L G Lane Gallaudet University Press 1993

Implanted AB Harmony activated Aug/07

The only problem for pfh-does others "understand his use of ASL concepts "?

Curiosity: Just checked some ASL books- the word/concept" penis". Nothing in the index.
ASL the easy Way- David Stewart-Barrons1998
Signing Made Easy- R R Butterworth & M Flodin Perigee 1989
Signing How to speak with your Hands Elaine Costello Bantam Books 1988
Gallaudet Survival Guide to Signing L G Lane Gallaudet University Press 1993

Implanted AB Harmony activated Aug/07

Couldn't figure out how to load the video. But curious people can follow this link, and it will be found in the main dictionary section.

http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi

Last edited:
Back