question for deafie hearing ad wearers or those that decided not to wear hearing aids

naturelchick

Reaction score
I've struggled with whether its better to hear with hearing aids even though its very unclear...for safety reasons or to not wear aids at all? The problem with wearing aids is ill hear people talking and it frusterates me that I can't comprehend the speech so if I didn't wear the aids I wouldn't even know people are talking therefore it wouldn't frusterate me....opinions please....

Frustrates you, you say? I am not frustrated by hearing aid. I enjoy the possiblility I may hear a car before it hits me.

I don't understand much speech either, but that is not the only purpose.

Repress your frustration and think of the positives, and compare to the negatives for yourself, and then make your decision. :)

Wear it so you can hear sounds that pleases you like music or whatever except multiple voices. Or you can discard it and not worry about it.

Me? I'd wear it 24/7 if I could.

I've struggled with whether its better to hear with hearing aids even though its very unclear...for safety reasons or to not wear aids at all? The problem with wearing aids is ill hear people talking and it frusterates me that I can't comprehend the speech so if I didn't wear the aids I wouldn't even know people are talking therefore it wouldn't frusterate me....opinions please....

Do yourself a favor - Blindfold yourself and use your hearing aids to see if you can safely meander around the town you're in...

:)

Your eyes are much more valuable than your hearing, so why be frustrated with hearing things you dont even understand.

The only time I really feel frustrated wearing a HA is when I at a party and there are a lot people talking at once! I can't understand what it being said to me. I was really upset when my HA broke down at a Dr. appointment , i would be lost without my HA.

Hardly necessary to test the hypothesis of wandering around one's city blindfolded and depending ONLY on their Hearing aids- just ask any blind person!
Is one's hearing aid suitable for their specific hearing loss? More powerful model? Cochlear Implant?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

I never could comphred speech with HA, all I got is white noise every time there is a sound. I couldn't tell the difference between the sounds. Funstrating is when people call my name and I couldn't respond, they get cross. I guess I got used to it as I had worn them for 28 years.

I wore HAs for 4 years. I discarded them because there were mostly cons for me than pros. The distortion of sounds; whistling; headaches; frequent ear-infections; chaffing; the up-keep and now the cost of purchasing the aids and the batteries.

My opinion: Better without them.

I wore HAs for 4 years. I discarded them because there were mostly cons for me than pros. The distortion of sounds; whistling; headaches; frequent ear-infections; chaffing; the up-keep and now the cost of purchasing the aids and the batteries.

My opinion: Better without them.

really I am surprised I learn it i have headache pretty loud adjust on low proper on expert to adjust to battery! how your kind of brand phonak or old?? which
I am curious!

What's your hearing loss range? Profound? Severe? Mild/Moderate? How long have you had an hearing loss? Do you have any or hardly any hearing without the HA's? If that's the case, then I suggest that you wear them. It'll probably also help you to communicate better with the aids than without.

Do yourself a favor - Blindfold yourself and use your hearing aids to see if you can safely meander around the town you're in...

:)

Your eyes are much more valuable than your hearing, so why be frustrated with hearing things you dont even understand.

I hope you feel that way about how to value your sights. I do wear my HAs whenever I feel its necessary. I still rely on my eyes for anything everything whole things and I love it. I don't know if you know ASL??

It's your personal decision to decide to wear it or not and rather it is helpful for you or not.

Hearing aids help me speechread better because It help me put puzzles together (lipreading and sounds).

Other than that, without my vision, my hearing aids, and yes even my CI, is worthless. (I still depend on lipreading and avoid mumbling people)

Some people barely benefit from hearing aids at all, they can't barely hear anything unless the sounds are loud so using it as an emergency isn't always helpful. Others hear from hearing aids but can't make out the sounds at all.. they wear it because they don't like the silence (they like keeping noises in their head) this have been the case with me at one time.
Although some wear it so they can hear car coming (I couldn't do this, btw...The car have to be next to me for me to hear it) but I did wear it so I could hear baby cry.

really I am surprised I learn it i have headache pretty loud adjust on low proper on expert to adjust to battery! how your kind of brand phonak or old?? which
I am curious!

It was many many years ago that I discarded my HAs. I think the model is outdated now. I can't remember the make or model.

Hearing aids as such are devices to assist one in dealing with your Hearing loss which for most of us, changes over time. This means one should check their aids if current with their condition.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

In wear my HAs whenever I am out in the world. When I am home, I take them off. They don't help me much with speech recognition (though they do make soft voices more audible), nor do I really care about all the environmental sounds they give me. I could care less about hearing doors close or dogs barking.

What I find HAs have really helped me with is allowing me to hear my own voice better. I speak much better when I wear my hearing aids. This is important to me because I teach using my voice everyday to a class of hearing college students.

The other thing that I like is that it allows people to see them and know that I have a hearing loss. So if I don't hear them, they won't think I'm being rude and ignoring them.

Maybe try wear aids half of day and don't wear aids half of day and see how you feel, which one you prefer.

My hearing aids that I've worn for 30+ years were good for assisting me in lipreading. I could hear sounds, but could not decipher speech.

Sounds like you have profound hearing loss, which means hearing aids are making things louder, but your cochlea can only process a few bits and pieces.

This is why I went to a CI, to get even more hearing. Some people want to hear more, others don't feel the need to hear. All a personal preference.

If I were surrounded by many deaf & ASL users, I would not feel the need to hear more.

It was many many years ago that I discarded my HAs. I think the model is outdated now. I can't remember the make or model.

really!! oh you forget it!! :giggle: you forget it! might to ask audiologicaly have record file! I think so possible!

Love my Phonak Naida, but found out tonight can't hear a bus with it. I was very startled when my daughter pulled me sharply to the left, and when I turned my head right, there was a bus right beside me.

I can't see out of my right eye so that may have been part of it.

Bad idea to walk in the bus lane. :hmm:

Back