Question for Deaf-Blind

Daft

Reaction score
Do you have much difficulty reading text on your PCs?

In the 1990s, I worked with a Blind computer programmer. We worked on a large IBM terminal and programmed with COBOL language. He would wear some headphones and place a device on the screen which would read the lines of code to him.

He decided to leave programming when PCs started to become popular because he told me it was getting to be too difficult to keep up with all the changes going on, especially with pop-up screens and all.

I am sure technology has improved for the Blind, but am curious as to how difficult/easy it is for the Blind today given how differently modern PCs are from the good-old days of IBM mainframes.

I use a very large font set up by my daughter. It involves a lot of scrolling.

Do you have much difficulty reading text on your PCs?

In the 1990s, I worked with a Blind computer programmer. We worked on a large IBM terminal and programmed with COBOL language. He would wear some headphones and place a device on the screen which would read the lines of code to him.

He decided to leave programming when PCs started to become popular because he told me it was getting to be too difficult to keep up with all the changes going on, especially with pop-up screens and all.

I am sure technology has improved for the Blind, but am curious as to how difficult/easy it is for the Blind today given how differently modern PCs are from the good-old days of IBM mainframes.

I use Ubuntu Linux, I can change font size much easier for me and even in browser can do text size too..

What Bottesini said. When I used magnification, it required me to scroll left-right and up-down and I could only see a bit on the screen at a time.

I also used sans serif white text on black and high contrast because it was easier to see.

Do you use ZoomText?

Sorry to say I am so illiterate, I have no idea.

My daughter , who is a nursing student, used to be an IT trainer and she makes things accessible to me.

Sorry to say I am so illiterate, I have no idea.

My daughter , who is a nursing student, used to be an IT trainer and she makes things accessible to me.

That's fine, I was just wondering but it's not a huge deal. :)

Back