Question for all deaf people (!please replie!)

muffin

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am muffin and I am an able-bodied. I am doing a school project about disabled people and I do not know any deaf or other disabled person so I want to know from you, if you visit a normal school and if yes, how you overcome the problems there (for example understanding the teacher). Please answer!!:aw:
Thank you
muffin
PS: I am a German so I am sorry if there are some mistakes.

For starters, some deaf people do have some auditory and lipreading skills with their hearing aid or cochlear implant.

Hey guys, I am muffin and I am an able-bodied. I am doing a school project about disabled people and I do not know any deaf or other disabled person so I want to know from you, if you visit a normal school and if yes, how you overcome the problems there (for example understanding the teacher). Please answer!!:aw:
Thank you
muffin

I think you'll find most deaf people here also consider themselves able-bodied and not "disabled". I'd recommend reviewing this topic: http://www.alldeaf.com/introduce-yo...iews-questions-surveys-please-read-first.html

my son went to a regular school all his life until he was in 9th grade he did some class work in deaf class and the rest with a interperter then he recieved the baha he finished 4th in his class without help he is no different from anybody else and no we had no problems in the school with the other kids it seems like adults have the problems with this not the kids. he sign talks reads lips and is quite normal he is just severe hoh

Thank you
muffin

You may think you have no disability but your mind is sure it! Normal School !!?
What the HELL are you implying that deaf and hoh people go abnormal schools and that we are not able bodies!! I am sick of ignorant people using this site to ask ignorant questions. I can see why you would have no deaf or hoh friends!

The OP is a student. Probably young and hasn't seen much of the world yet. I really recommend that the OP get off the computer and go meet some people in real life. Your teacher will be very impressed with your effort and you'll get a good grade. :wave:

Thank you
muffin

Simple: ASL interpreter.

Remember that English is most likely not the OP's first language. When it comes to sensitive topics, the translation from another language to English usually results in sensitive, non-PC words like disabled, normal, etc. The German versions may not be perceived negatively by deaf people in Germany. I wouldn't focus on his choice of words.

Wirelessly posted

Daredevel7 said:
Remember that English is most likely not the OP's first language. When it comes to sensitive topics, the translation from another language to English usually results in sensitive, non-PC words like disabled, normal, etc. The German versions may not be perceived negatively by deaf people in Germany. I wouldn't focus on his choice of words.

I agree with Daredevel. Well said. I also agreed that is tiring and annoying to get the same old ignorant questions over and over. Perhaps may I suggest to Alex to look into an automated re-direction to the questions and interviews thread...is that a possibility at all? I also agree with smithtr that educating those who are ignorant is important too. Another suggestion would be to have a sticky thread which addresses the dos and don'ts, what words that are offensive and should be refrained from using etc.(Sure wish this could apply to use of foul language too :p) What a newbie to the forum should know etc.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

Apologies - Just saw the Newbies FAQs sticky thread by KristinaMann already there in Introduce Yourself. You beat me to it by a long shot KM that's great. :D

Wirelessly posted

Deleted: double post :(

Last edited:
Back