Question - Deaf or Hard-of-Hearing?

BrnKthStcy

Reaction score
Since I grew up mainstreamed and oralized with very little Deaf influence, I have always wondered something.

Yes, I can hear on the phone, talk, read lips, listen to music, etc. But that is only with the hearing aid and even then the amount I comprehend is not always constant depending on air pressure, day, mood, etc.

My audiologist says I am practically deaf without my hearing aid.

How would I classify myself? I've been around deaf people who tell me I am hard-of-hearing and not deaf. I've always told people I'm partially deaf or deaf, but then they get confused when I can hear them. So then I say I'm hard-of-hearing.

Which one would I fit under? Deaf or Hard-of-Hearing?

I have been told the same too by the Deaf community when I first got involved with them. After years of being immersed, I found my identity and that is of a deaf person not hoh. I learned that speech or oral skills has nothing to do with the range of hearing loss one has.

Really, it all depends on how you identify yourself, not how others identify you.

Hope that helps!

Shel90, what would you say is the difference between identifying one's self as HoH or Deaf? What is the difference between the two anyways?

I guess that's where things get confusing for me since I know very little about the differences.

Shel90, what would you say is the difference between identifying one's self as HoH or Deaf? What is the difference between the two anyways?

I guess that's where things get confusing for me since I know very little about the differences.

I feel it is easier to tell people that I am deaf so they wont confuse my good speech skills with my ability to hear better than I can. I used to identify myself as "hearing-impaired" and growing up, people assumed that I couldnt be deaf because I spoke so good and they would get mad at me for not "listening" . I just find it easier to say "I am deaf" and I also identify myself as culturally Deaf as well.

I have always stated that I am deaf, but I struggle with my identity, I know I am a deaf person but I feel I do not fit in, same with the hearing world.

I feel it is easier to tell people that I am deaf so they wont confuse my good speech skills with my ability to hear better than I can. I used to identify myself as "hearing-impaired" and growing up, people assumed that I couldnt be deaf because I spoke so good and they would get mad at me for not "listening" . I just find it easier to say "I am deaf" and I also identify myself as culturally Deaf as well.

That's the way it is with me. I'm deaf but not culturally Deaf. Makes sense.

How does one immerse themselves in Deaf Culture? Especially one that is developing his/her deaf identity at a later age?

That's the way it is with me. I'm deaf but not culturally Deaf. Makes sense.

How does one immerse themselves in Deaf Culture? Especially one that is developing his/her deaf identity at a later age?

I started out by taking ASL classes at 25 years old as a foreign language requirement for my undergrad program and then as a requirement, I had to go to Deaf socials. That was so hard because I recieved a lot of criticism due to rejecting them when I was growing up thinking I was better than them by not needing ASL (which I did anyway). It was a slow progress for me but I really got fully immersed in it when I moved to DC to go to Gallaudet University as a grad student.

I would say going to Deaf socials or events would be a good start..

Makes sense. I'm taking classes online for my four-year BS in Legal Studies through a local college and so far the communication appears to be better because I don't have to worry about missing out on something. I eventually hope to receive my Master's of Paralegal Studies.

I think the local college may offer ASL courses, but I'm so tired of hearing people say ASL when all it is is either SEE or PSE, so I'm a bit leery about taking those courses.

Deaf social events may be my best place to start again. I miss being around Deaf people and I've invited my fiancee to go with me but she is too afraid they will criticize her so I may have to contact an old friend who is deaf and see if he and I can go again.

BrwnKthStcy,

my hubby same as you - no d/Deaf exposure growing up. He was raised in a small very rural community, ID's as deaf w/o HA's. Like you, Shel, he always was considered to "speak well" and was told he just wasn't listening. Comfort zone is spoken English.

I am in my 30's and grew up allegedly hearing in large metro area w/variety of cultures. Had personal difficulties w/speech and language, and "fitting in" as someone w/learning disability that went un-diagnosed for many years. I was considered to have "spoken late" and people thought I was deaf. Exposed to Deaf culture in college when I worked at a recreational program, and attended some Deaf events, Deaf theater, Deaf festivals. When I met my husband he didn't wear HA's cuz couldn't afford them; he got them later, although he had them as a young child. In college I took my first "ASL class" - but it was taught by hearing man and it was lotta PSE.

I became involved in working with people with disabilities and in dog training <still am with latter> . But I always wanted to go back to involvement in ASL. I met my tutor-turned-friend who is Deaf, who went to Gallaudet, we started doing some things together. Then a couple of years ago now I started losing my hearing and I have become more involved again, going to some Deaf socials, taking an ASL class taught by Deaf woman from a Deaf family. I know a variety of people who identify along the spectrum of d/Deaf. I guess I personally don't feel "hearing" at this point. Through a variety of experiences I identify as hoh now. While my ASL I know needs a lot of work, it feels very "natural" for me as a visual-spatial language.

For me, I think the big thing has been to have respect for the culture and continue to learn about myself; others things then fall into place.

I can understand how that's tricky. I have TMJ Syndrome so my hearing improves or gets worse depending on my TMJ condition. This, in addition to changes in environment and noise level like you said, leads to much confusion. I stay within the hard-of-hearing range but it can vary from mild to severe HOH.

BrnKthStcy, I would say it's up to you how you want to identify yourself. Being culturally Deaf has nothing to do with hearing loss, so if you want to identify as Deaf, that's your prerogative. If anyone argues with you about it, you can tell them that it is up to you to identify how you want and they can't tell you how to be.

This is so similar to my post! You can see other responses I got. Only difference is that I asked which to sign. It's under the ASL/ oralism forum. I am essentially hearing only useless loud noises without my aids now, so I identify as deaf. I'm currently learning asl, but would love to learn more about Deaf culture. Most of the replies I got said only you can choose your identity, others disagreed. I do believe it's up to you in the end. :)

sounds like you may be profoundly deaf if you can't hear anything at all without hearing aids. You are just like me.

There are differences between Deaf culture and the Deaf community. The Deaf community includes d/Deaf, HOH, late-deafened, oral, mainstream, residential, CI, etc. Deaf culture is typically used to refer to core-Deaf people.

I'll see if I can find a link online that explains it all in-depth. It is definite that you are a part of the Deaf community. Being a part of Deaf culture, however, generally depends on whether you share the language, traditions, norms, values, and identity. Deaf community all share similar identity.

I don't even know where I fall in. So far I just tell Deaf people that I am hearing and hearing people that I am culturally Deaf. CODA is apparently an identity, so I just wear that. I'm still me no matter what label I wear :)

I just don't classify myself. It's too complicated :) Your are whichever you feel you are.

There are differences between Deaf culture and the Deaf community. The Deaf community includes d/Deaf, HOH, late-deafened, oral, mainstream, residential, CI, etc. Deaf culture is typically used to refer to core-Deaf people.

Never heard this distinction before. I thought Deaf just meant someone who is a part of the Deaf community, and who shares the norms and traditions of the Deaf community.

This brings me to the question: can late-deafened people be culturally Deaf? I know often times late-deafened people hold onto their hearing identity like there's no tomorrow, but if a late-deafened person were to learn ASL and be active in the Deaf community, would you consider them Deaf?

Since I grew up mainstreamed and oralized with very little Deaf influence, I have always wondered something.

Yes, I can hear on the phone, talk, read lips, listen to music, etc. But that is only with the hearing aid and even then the amount I comprehend is not always constant depending on air pressure, day, mood, etc.

My audiologist says I am practically deaf without my hearing aid.

How would I classify myself? I've been around deaf people who tell me I am hard-of-hearing and not deaf. I've always told people I'm partially deaf or deaf, but then they get confused when I can hear them. So then I say I'm hard-of-hearing.

Which one would I fit under? Deaf or Hard-of-Hearing?

I am also able to hear on the phone, talk, read lips, listen to music, etc. but still have the same difficulties with regards to comprehension. How you label yourself is up to you. I prefer to call myself hard of hearing, because I feel that I have not faced the same struggles and challenges of a profoundly deaf or completely deaf person. Therefore, I do not think that I should have the "honour" (for lack of a better word) to call myself a deaf person. I have not been around deaf culture and have not learned ASL. I was never taught that I was "deaf", but rather "hearing impaired". I just feel more comfortable with the term HOH.

Last edited:
I am also able to hear on the phone, talk, read lips, listen to music, etc.

BrnKthStcy, You can do this in the bold as a Hard of Hearing but if you are having difficulties trying to understand what people are saying then yeah you might be deaf with or without the hearing aid, even for environmental sounds. Beside, it is up to you what you want to be call. Hard of Hearing or deaf or Deaf (mean ASL user). :hmm:

Last edited:
Never heard this distinction before. I thought Deaf just meant someone who is a part of the Deaf community, and who shares the norms and traditions of the Deaf community.

This brings me to the question: can late-deafened people be culturally Deaf? I know often times late-deafened people hold onto their hearing identity like there's no tomorrow, but if a late-deafened person were to learn ASL and be active in the Deaf community, would you consider them Deaf?

Ah, sorry. I didn't write that correctly. It would be a very, very long post if I wrote all of the things that define Deaf culture.

To answer your question, yes. Late-deafened people can be culturally Deaf. Of course most people use language as a determining factor to determine if you're culturally Deaf. (That's why I feel like I lost my culture... I lost my language ASL). For many people that is enough to consider you a part of Deaf culture. Deaf culture tends to require language, traditions, norms, values, and identity. These guidelines tend to be set by the core-Deaf group. Core-Deaf are normally generational Deaf people and families who have passed down all five of the cultural attributes for generations.

Core-Deaf tend to be the Deaf who come from Deaf families, preserve purer forms of ASL, and who stand at the forefront in the battle against audism. They normally attend residential schools and marry other Deaf. However, being culturally Deaf does not require being core-Deaf. Nearly any d/Deaf can be a part of Deaf culture. Deaf tend to naturally be included in the Deaf community, but it takes a little work to be part of Deaf culture if you are not a d/Deaf person who is part of the core-Deaf group.

I'm not good at explanations sometimes :aw: There is probably a easier way to say everything I just said. I should draw a picture.

I'll use myself as an example. I grew up in a Deaf family. I am Black by race. However, I had to move away from my Deaf family and live with hearing family who are culturally Black (or African American or Moor or whatever is the right term nowadays). Even though I am Black I did not fit into Black culture at first. I had to be immersed in Black culture to understand how to speak, act, and think like people from Black culture.

Same with late-deafened people. Late-deaf can immerse themselves in Deaf culture and be accepted. The physical hearing loss makes the community just like the color of my skin tends to make my Black community. There are HOH, mainstream, late-deaf, CI deaf, oral, all types of Deaf in the community. Same with American Black culture. There are Haitians, Jamaicans, people from Belize, Dominican Republic, Barbadoes, etc. There are core-Deaf who lead tradition and culture. There are the core Black who have been in America for generations and who tend to descend from Africa. We also lead tradition and culture.

That was probably even more confusing, but that's the best I can do :aw:

Last edited:
Back