Question: Alarm Clock

Applesseed

Reaction score
I'm a heavy sleeper and I have two alarm clocks (one acts as a back-up) near my bed. One goes off with music, the back-up comes with loud rings.

What I'm trying to find is an alarm clock with vibrator. I've never experienced and would like to hear opinions. Flashing lights won't do any good for me. It seems that here in AD, the Sonic Boom is the most popular. I think I found one that I like... which is the Sonic Boom Alarm Clock AM/FM Radio with SS12V Vibrator (SBR350ss). The LCD seems a tad bit too big as I am not blind. Are there any other clocks that has a small LCD screen, comes with AM/FM Radio and of course, a vibrator? A built-in CD player would be nice, too. Here's a link: http://www.sonicalert.com/htm/clock.htm (4th one down)

I'm in the Pasadena, California area - are there any retailers that I can walk-in and purchase instead of buying off on-line? I like to feel and harass the alarm clock before buying. Thanks!

Why have a CD player when you can't hear the alarm clock?

That's why these alarm clock are designed with only loud sound, vibrator, and lights.

I strongly recommend the last one. It's actually the same as the first original black one that I already have. The circular one that stands up looks nice, but might fall over easily when you're trying to hit "snooze". The first few are nice, but the buttons seem to be a bit small.

Well one of my current alarm clock has a CD player - which helps to make me go to sleep at night. I'm not completely deaf - just minor. I can hear and I never learned ASL. Just that I have trouble waking up.

I have music on as my alarm goes off but it's frustrating when my family sneaks into my room to shut it off and I end up waking up like...after 12pm the most.

I'm wondering... Where do people buy their alarm clock? At retail stores... or on-line?

Applesseed said:
Well one of my current alarm clock has a CD player - which helps to make me go to sleep at night. I'm not completely deaf - just minor. I can hear and I never learned ASL. Just that I have trouble waking up.

I have music on as my alarm goes off but it's frustrating when my family sneaks into my room to shut it off and I end up waking up like...after 12pm the most.

I'm wondering... Where do people buy their alarm clock? At retail stores... or on-line?
You referring to those alarm clock for the deaf? You can find those online or at stores for the deaf. Why not have two alarm clocks? One for your CD and one to wake you up? ;)

I sleep a lot on my right side of the body which covers my right ear - which is my good ear. My left ear cannot hear better than my right. Like I said earlier, I have two alarm clocks. I hate the usual beep beep sound - and this tends to annoy my whole family (I'm the only one with HoH). Current setting is the music goes off - but then sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't do well - I can sleep through the music. I've been told that if I set my alarm to ring, it takes 10-20 minutes before I realize it's off. Music goes to about an hour. And like I said earlier - my family would initially turn off the alarm without waking me up. So I'm hoping a vibrator would work.

AppleSeed, I have not heard from anyone that did not wake up from a vibrating bed. That seems to be the best option for you since you are a deep sleeper and even the box that comes with the SonicBoom claims it's for that also. Some of the equipments that are for deaf people come with large phone keypad and large LCD because some blind people need it and there are some deaf-blind people especially deaf or hoh Seniors who have less than perfect vision than us. I know how you feel, but really it's not a big deal having a large LCD. I don't see it as a huge LCD. They have white SonicBoom now. They only had black before which is what I have and I use the flashing light instead. The SonicBoom has sounds, vibration and flashing all in one. You need to buy the vibrator as extra. I don't know anything about other alarm clocks since this is my first one and I know that usually people buy this online, catalogs or deaf stores which I have never seen one.

Last edited:
Applesseed said:
I'm hoping a vibrator would work.

*snicker* One who has no inkling of assistive devices for the deaf would have a field day with this one!!!

Ahem...at any rate, I do hope you find what you're looking for. They sell vibrators (errr....ASSISTIVE vibrators) that plug into alarm clocks or are sound-sensitive.

And, I can rig ya up with an old-fashioned wind-up clock to which I can run some wire from the winding mechanism to a six inch wooden mallet on some jerry-rigged hinge and when its time, well ya get the idea. LOL!

LOL! I knew it sounded so weird and funny. I didn't know how else to say it LOL. I was told that it's like an Earthquake.

Applesseed said:
I'm in the Pasadena, California area - are there any retailers that I can walk-in and purchase instead of buying off on-line? I like to feel and harass the alarm clock before buying. Thanks!
You could try Clarity (formely known as Ameriphone) once headquartered in suburban Orange County before the company was bought out and relocated to Chattanooga, Tenn.) They have numerous of dealers around in this country - I believe they still have an office in Garden Grove.

http://www.clarityproducts.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=26

http://www.clarityproducts.com

EDIT: OOPS! I forgot to include another link:: http://www.clarityproducts.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=25

Last edited:
Back