Question, again.

dracotkk

Reaction score
Hey. I'm going to go ahead and get this question out here... What, how, would you describe 'deaf world', 'deaf culture'? Even though i'm HoH, I don't recall, but i'm totally unobservant, hanging around anybody HoH/Deaf, cause I dont know anyone, except a few people here, and this college prep thing a month ago. Any help understanding is greatly appreciated. ^_^

Well I can tell you that deaf people have a beautiful culture. They have deaf pride and they have a very strong comraderie and loyalty among themselves. They essentially have to because they have had the hearing world belittle them which is truly sad. Anyways, when you meet them they want to know where your from if you went to a residential school, if you have relatives that are deaf, who you know that maybe they know. They are a very tight group so chances are they know who you know. They like to hug each other even if they never met before due to the strong comraderie like an extended family. They want to talk for themselves not have you answer for them. They want to be included so they don't appreciate if hearing people talk during their presence without using sign to make the conversation known. How would they know whether you are talking about them or not? It's only polite to talk in their language if they are around. They love the performing arts and theater and storytelling big time. They are very comedic people. You will thoroughly enjoy them. Understand, they are not trusting of the hearing world. You must earn their trust. Be a good friend and treat them as you would anyone, respect them and listen to them. They make great friends once they know you are sincere. They want you to be their friend for them not what they may own, or just because you like to sign and find them interesting like you would tropical fish in an aquarium. If you are in a house full of deaf and many conversations are going on and you have to get by them, they don't mind if you quickly walk by, they don't want you to come from behind and tap them on the shoulder and startle them. Get in front of them and make your presence know. They can't hear you come up from behind or they may be busy in conversation and not really paying attention. Well I am sure there is alot more to their beautiful culture. And I will let the truly deaf add more indepth stuff. This is just a beginning. :)

oh and it's not decible depndant.....you don't have to have a profound or severe loss to "qualify as really Deaf.

deafdyke said:
oh and it's not decible depndant.....you don't have to have a profound or severe loss to "qualify as really Deaf.

LOL deafdyke!! :h5:

Back