Question about VP's

auralynn23

Reaction score
Hello,

I was hoping someone could give me a definitive answer to my question. I've looked all over the internet and I still can't seem to piece it together. It's probably a completely stupid question, but.... I met a new friend the other day who is deaf. We exchanged phone numbers and she gave me her VP number. I'm hearing and obviously don't have a video phone and I've heard the FCC has made it damn near impossible for a hearing person who can sign to get a video phone that can actually be used to contact deaf people. When I call her from my phone, do I call the number she gave me directly and will that then go to a relay service first? I guess I just want to know what to expect so I'm not stumbling through my first phone call like and idiot.. Thanks!

Hello,

I was hoping someone could give me a definitive answer to my question. I've looked all over the internet and I still can't seem to piece it together. It's probably a completely stupid question, but.... I met a new friend the other day who is deaf. We exchanged phone numbers and she gave me her VP number. I'm hearing and obviously don't have a video phone and I've heard the FCC has made it damn near impossible for a hearing person who can sign to get a video phone that can actually be used to contact deaf people. When I call her from my phone, do I call the number she gave me directly and will that then go to a relay service first? I guess I just want to know what to expect so I'm not stumbling through my first phone call like and idiot.. Thanks!

You just dial as regular number that she gave to you. When you get next open line for interpreter will ringing the other side. Once it answer and connect... talk like normal.. no pause need.. just do like what you do with hearing people on the phone ;)

Hello,

.... I'm hearing and obviously don't have a video phone and I've heard the FCC has made it damn near impossible for a hearing person who can sign to get a video phone that can actually be used to contact deaf people. When I call her from my phone, do I call the number she gave me directly and will that then go to a relay service first?...

I assume when you're saying " When I call her from my phone,..." you mean a standard voice-only phone. In such case using an interpreter is the only option. As for you getting/using a VP to talk via sign to your friend, I'm curious about your difficulties. Have you had trouble getting a VP? Can't get a number for your VP? I ask bc my hearing wife, a signer, works with deaf and may want to get a VP someday. (I'm HH going on deaf, signing more and more, will get my first VP soon.)

Back