Question about Unix

I've used linux since 7th grade after I dumped my Windows XP box outside the door.

It is only few years ago that I decided to get iMac instead.

So, what does it do? Grummer has already answered most of your questions. I don't really have much left to say, just try it and you can see for yourself.

I knew some Russian hackers from the EFnet server. I talked to them some few months before 2008 Georgian War, probably the world's first advanced cyber-warfare ever, not sure.

So yeah, this is serious stuff... I think Micro$oft even added unix in Windows Vista or 7. Not sure, but that doesn't mean I'll go back to Windows, not ever. Micro$oft's primary goal is to control everything- Internet and on.

EDIT: Scratch that, I think it was the Windows Millennium (the one I threw out)

Microsoft has had Unix utilities in Windows for years.

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2001/6/19/05641/7357 said:
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]However, it looks like some of those Unix utilities were never rewritten. If you look at the executables, you can still see the copyright notice from the regents of the University of California (BSD is short for Berkeley Software Distrubution, Berkeley being a branch of the University of California,[/FONT]

Also Windows Update had a Squid backend, if it was inaccessible you'd see the Squid "I can't retrieve this document" screen lol.

And yes playing around with these OSes is mad fun.. but it doesn't really get anything done lol. Change the WiFi adapter and you have to spend the whole day just setting it up for WPA and stuff like that.

World has gotten too fast to spend hours playing with OSes you need to use and interact with others on a daily basis. Plus the fonts kind of suck lol.

Last edited:
What's the book title about that? I never heard or read anywhere that UNIX was created as a prank. The programmers enjoyed pranking each other, but UNIX itself was not created as a prank, as far as I know. And the Russian link with UNIX, that's news to me.

I would be interested in reading the book you found.

I hope I still have that Ebook about UNIX. It was in my blackberry that time. I did backed up memory card. Will check on that.

Seriously it was a prank at first to sell it to Russian to give their life a living hell. Remmy back in 60's, there were cold war at that time.

Interesting that they never mentioned that to you. It was about 300 pages long

Catty

Yeah, Unix and Linux are two different things under the hood, as far as how it's coded. I used both from about 2000 to 2008, and I had to switch back to a Mac after giving up on trying to do everything multimedia on a Linux box. Linux is meant to be used in server and programming environments. At best, the desktop environments have been graphic kludges designed to get basic office functions working, such as document editing, spreadsheet work, graphics creation and editing. Where it has SUCKED big time during my days with Linux is playing back video and movies. Never mind writing sheet music or laying down tracks! To get video working, you have to write/rewrite code to get the drivers working for the DVD drive or software to make video playback possible at all. This was true for Red Hat, BSD, SuSE, you name it. I tried just about everything out there. I had to run Linux for critical stuff, and another box with Windows for multimedia stuff ONLY. I hope that the geeks have come to realize that they HAVE to serve the desktop crowd if they are going to get ANYWHERE beyond the server room. I quit the Linux scene, as I was no longer interested in IT after the dot-bomb bust and needed a machine that would WORK STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX without having to rewrite a single word of code. Back to the Mac I went, and I haven't looked back since. Every once in a while, I would go into the CLI to cat a file that TextEdit won't display.

I hope I still have that Ebook about UNIX. It was in my blackberry that time. I did backed up memory card. Will check on that.

Catty, did you back it up with the Desktop Manager program? If you did, good luck recovering that book. You're going to need a parsing program that you have to pay $20 just to recover that. I hope that you mean you emailed it to yourself or some other way.

What's the book title about that? I never heard or read anywhere that UNIX was created as a prank. The programmers enjoyed pranking each other, but UNIX itself was not created as a prank, as far as I know. And the Russian link with UNIX, that's news to me.

I would be interested in reading the book you found.

Found something about it. The story itself is a joke, according to this.

Thompson, Ritchie and Kernighan admit that Unix was a prank

Back