Question about swearing

Mountain Man

Reaction score
Just curious if there are any Deaf ASL phrases similar to the English greeting "I haven't seen you in 5-years! How you doin', you son of a bitch?" This is something one hearing friend might say to another.

Thanks for your input.

Just curious if there are any Deaf ASL phrases similar to the English greeting "I haven't seen you in 5-years! How you doin', you son of a bitch?" This is something one hearing friend might say to another.

Thanks for your input.

Yeah... there are.

Thanks for your input.

Is this honestly how you greet friends you haven't seen in several years?

Is this honestly how you greet friends you haven't seen in several years?
I don't, no, but there are some who do. I've even seen good friends greet each other with much stronger language.

I'm just wondering if an interpreter were to interpret such a greeting literally into ASL, would it make sense to the Deaf person?

(I also think I may have posted this in the wrong forum. This probably belongs in Sign Language & Oralism.)

I don't, no, but there are some who do. I've even seen good friends greet each other with much stronger language.

I'm just wondering if an interpreter were to interpret such a greeting literally into ASL, would it make sense to the Deaf person?

They can't be good friends or know each other very well if they need an interpreter when meeting each other.

Imagine an exchange between two hearing people is being interpreted, and the interpreter literally translated the phrase "How you doin', you son of a bitch?" What would be the Deaf person's impression of the two people's relationship?

Imagine an exchange between two hearing people is being interpreted, and the interpreter literally translated the phrase "How you doin', you son of a bitch?" What would be the Deaf person's impression of the two people's relationship?

Probably we all saw this language in the captions of westerns and detective movies.

It is not that difficult to get an idea of the popular culture by observation.

So most people would know what it meant.

Back