Question about SSI

I work part-time and get SSI. I was told as long as I don't make over $960 a month, I qualify for SSI. My SSI payments only $116 a month, and I make $600-800 at my job, depending on how many hours I work. I also still live at home with my mom (no rent, I don't pay any utility bills, and buy only a small portion of my own groceries), have no idea if the SSI payment would be different if I was living on my own, eh. I'm working on housing assistance, still need to fill out paperwork for it to get on a waiting list.

but yeah, you can still work even if you're on SSI. Just let the SSA office know about it and how much money you're earning from the job. You have to give them a copy of your paycheck stubs at the end of each month as proof of income and they will figure out how much your SSI payments will be based off your income, etc.

I suggest to check your benefit, it doesn't sound like to me, that isnt SSI. Your comment sounds like to me SSDI. SSDI aka Social Security Disability Benefit is based on what you did work in the past and then receives SSDI therefore you would allow to earn up to 960 per months, Not SSI. SSI aka Supplemental Security Income only allow someone who works but will be the same amount what you make from working and only as to what SSI's limited amount of benefit that pays you. I encourage you to ask your claims representative to see what kind of benefit did you get and ask again the same question about allowing to earn up to 960$ per month or what. In case, sometimes, some claims represtative didn't look at your system/record by your asking questions and assume you were on SSDI then give you incorrect informations. Just ask Claims rep to make sure if you are on SSI then Ask for how much limited amount of earning for you to make. It better to be ask SSA to make sure all is set.

SSI and SSDI have different criteria with earning of working information.

edit:::: i just saw your other post that you are receving both ssdi and ssi. then it would be different story. SSI would not pay you but still on SSI system because you are on SSDI and work. If you quit working, then SSI will come back to combine with SSDI. it depends on how much amount of $$ where you live. Gotcha. It's safer to ask SSA every month to be on the same pages as SSA and you.

No, really, I AM getting SSI, $116 a month. and SSDI will be $660 which I will first get on Dec. 3. So yes, I am receiving BOTH SSI and SSDI benefits even though I am working. They told me in order to qualify for SSI and to get SSI benefits, I have to make less than $960 a month if I am working. I have gotten 2 SSI payments so far (1 for August, but that one was $230ish for July and August) and again last week for September, $116.

That's fine. as long as you keep informing your local SSA. i can see that in september month your ssi monthly $$ went down. that sounds right to me. I suppose you are on the right track now. yes, I know that I do need to check with SSI rules all over again to see if any new criteria about it. oh well ha

SSA is a federal agency. SSI and SSDI are federal entitltment (welfare) programs paid for/of/by the taxpayers, us. It is the same thing in every state.

VR/DORS is a state program, all states have different rules like paying for graduate school.

I'm not sure about other states, but I know in my state you can both receive SSI if you're blind and employed and you can receive Medicaid even if you don't receive SSI.

If person who is on ss disability benefit then will get a medicare within 24 months after SSDI eligibility. For age 65, retirement, will get a medicare right away.

Medicaid eligibility usually starts at the same month as SSI eligibility. for age 65, will get a medicaid if they get ssi.

If person who is on ss disability benefit then will get a medicare within 24 months after SSDI eligibility. For age 65, retirement, will get a medicare right away.

Medicaid eligibility usually starts at the same month as SSI eligibility. for age 65, will get a medicaid if they get ssi.

how are you supposed to take care of yourself with no medical coverage for 2 years ?

I wil get full SS benefits (not SSDI or SSI) when I am 67 since I was born after the new rules for those born after 1945.
Can I get SSDI or SSI if I get the SS retirement benefits?

I wil get full SS benefits (not SSDI or SSI) when I am 67 since I was born after the new rules for those born after 1945.
Can I get SSDI or SSI if I get the SS retirement benefits?

It depends on ages and years, SSA has been changing the factors of age and year with computes with benefits. All i know is that SSA will look at any benefits that are higher than either retirement or SSDI if you were disabled, then they will give you the high benefit. Ssdi will become retirement and it will be the same amount of benefits. However, now SSA did change the ages, i believe it is 70. I have to check it out again. sorry. Bottom the line is that SSA do give any claimants with the best high benefits if they are over 65 or 70 to get either SSDI or Retirement. SO For any people who have low incomes then will get SSI and wouldn't get a SSDI however they would get medicare once they pass age 65 to get a medicare and medicaid and SSI.

how are you supposed to take care of yourself with no medical coverage for 2 years ?

Im sorry that i am not familiar with this one. but i know lots of people told me that they were finding the other depts who can provides for health insurance in their local states.

Lots of mothers who are on SSDI and found health insurances for their children through the health depts in every states that are not relate with SSA or Medicare depts.

ok, thanks. U.S. Government Accountability Office (U.S. GAO) got a lot of reports and audits on the SSA programs. The SSA is so messed up.

It depends on ages and years, SSA has been changing the factors of age and year with computes with benefits. All i know is that SSA will look at any benefits that are higher than either retirement or SSDI if you were disabled, then they will give you the high benefit. Ssdi will become retirement and it will be the same amount of benefits. However, now SSA did change the ages, i believe it is 70. I have to check it out again. sorry. Bottom the line is that SSA do give any claimants with the best high benefits if they are over 65 or 70 to get either SSDI or Retirement. SO For any people who have low incomes then will get SSI and wouldn't get a SSDI however they would get medicare once they pass age 65 to get a medicare and medicaid and SSI.

I heard rumor.....

about SSI cut off in future and some said, "SSI is going down to $800".

True?

Oh, okay. Thanks Jillio.

I will check that out. I just heard it from ppl who spread rumors about SSI cut off in future. That's why I was puzzled. Nah, I don't listen to their rumor, I was just curious to find out if that is true or not.

... FUCK YES.

I am tired of losing opportunities due to my hearing issues.

I agree. It is very difficult to find a decent Job while having a hearing impairment. I personally have tried calling on jobs using my TTY phone and have been hung up upon cause the employer finds using this technology a pain in the ass for them to use. ( using a relay service is not difficult) This has made it very difficult to find a job worth my while. SO thank got SSI SSDI is out there for us deaffies. :eek3:

my advice for those who are denied, is to keep appealing until you go before a judge. Get all your medical evidence showing how it limits your ability to find work.

Even if it takes years to get a hearing before a judge, you will get all the backpay from the time applied.

Back