Question about SSDI/SSI without an Interpreter

... Try to find a part-time job.

That really fucking pisses me off. I'm sorry, but it does. I have been searching ALL over the place near my location.

NOT a one of the companies I've applied to has replied and telling me that I'm hired. NOT a one of the companies I've applied to has ever gone further than a first-time interview.

I have a suspicion that it's my hearing interfering with my attempts to get a job. So far I've had hearing persons win the position I was competing for. Or I've heard silence.

Part-time job? Please! [/heavy sarcasm]

well, find something to do different thing way like business or whatever you know... I understand you are frustrating now, but I suggest you go to school and help you to get a better job.

I thought SSA suppose to get an interpreter for me and I knew interpreter didn't show up that day.

You are right about get friend or family go with me either. I already brought my pay stub and show them a prove. I really hope they approve me.

I know SSA should have an interpreter for you, I just would not count on it!

I thought SSA suppose to get an interpreter for me and I knew interpreter didn't show up that day.

You are right about get friend or family go with me either. I already brought my pay stub and show them a prove. I really hope they approve me.

It is SSA's responsibility to provide an interpreter, not your responsibility.

... SSDI pays more?

Good lord, then I need to get on to getting SSDI. ;_; Wonder if I can switch from SSI to SSDI...

Christ, I'm BARELY making it here, every month. I've repeatedly requested SSA to raise my money just a bit, just enough to essentially cover my bills while I continued to search for jobs... but they always denied me.

More than once, I've had to essentially juggle bills plus rent.

... Like next month.

I know I'm essentially fucked because my roommates are demanding that I pay my part of the rent when I really don't want to, as that would essentially fuck me out of another month's of SSI... and still go to see my grandfather's funeral.

FML.

Call your local Vocational Rehabilitation counselor for an appointment. They will help you to find a part-time/or full-time job. Good luck!

it might take a while to wait to hear the resullt. It is suppose to be 60 days but they tend to delay till 90 days to 150 days.

The disability determination service, they may need to see you in person to confirm that you are disabled then they will inform to SSA office to approve it or not. I believe that you had been there before since you mentioned you did have SSi before.

I know SSA should have an interpreter for you, I just would not count on it!

As ironic as it is, SSA is not very good at providing accommodations. When I went to get an appointment the other day, they didn't have a non-visual way of signing in. Not to mention the man at the desk communicated with me by yelling at me, and I still couldn't understand what he was saying.

They gave me a piece of paper with a number on it. After asking them what the number was, I asked them to tap me on the shoulder when my number was called. The only reason I knew when my number was called was because I was lucky enough to have the person next to me notice the number on my card when my number was called and she tapped me on the shoulder to let me know.

Is there some sort of training on how to communicate with and deal with disabled people? If not, I feel like an organization like SSA that provides SSI and SSDI should give their employees at least basic training in how to treat people with disabilities and what the various types of accommodations look like.

it might take a while to wait to hear the resullt. It is suppose to be 60 days but they tend to delay till 90 days to 150 days.

The disability determination service, they may need to see you in person to confirm that you are disabled then they will inform to SSA office to approve it or not. I believe that you had been there before since you mentioned you did have SSi before.

wow that's too long time! I read it said I should hear my result in 2 or 6 months.. I've been waiting for it since at SSA Official in 2 months now.

yes, that's correct I've been there before cause I did have SSI before. I told them I deserve to have a second chance for my future. They will confim that I'm disabled because they believe I've been on SSI before. after that, I lost good job and I just realized no one aren't going to hire me anymore because of deaf. If SSI approve me then I will be happy because I can do anything in future.

As ironic as it is, SSA is not very good at providing accommodations. When I went to get an appointment the other day, they didn't have a non-visual way of signing in. Not to mention the man at the desk communicated with me by yelling at me, and I still couldn't understand what he was saying.

They gave me a piece of paper with a number on it. After asking them what the number was, I asked them to tap me on the shoulder when my number was called. The only reason I knew when my number was called was because I was lucky enough to have the person next to me notice the number on my card when my number was called and she tapped me on the shoulder to let me know.

Is there some sort of training on how to communicate with and deal with disabled people? If not, I feel like an organization like SSA that provides SSI and SSDI should give their employees at least basic training in how to treat people with disabilities and what the various types of accommodations look like.

I agree, It can't hurt if you write a letter about it and send it to the SSA office to let them know. I agree that SSA really need to take LOT of workshops about how to approach disabled people or see what types of accommodations do they need and more comfortable than feeling awkward. :|

Some deaf friends of mine who worked at the SSA are really frustrated because of the GAO auditing reports (you can see them at U.S. Government Accountability Office (U.S. GAO)) and the way SSA approved a high number of so-called disabled cases.
SSA is so messed-up. They would know about terps since they are required under Section 504 to provide reasonable accommodations. The SSA is not under the ADA since the ADA doesn't cover the federal government. Try looking for a job, remove any deaf on your resume, put a good email address (not ILOVEXXXXX@yahoo.com), keep trying, work for temps agencies, etc. SSA and IRS are tracking down those who work and get SSI or SSDI.

Update:

I just receive the mail from SSI today and they order me go to Doctor for my appointment on Dec. 15. lol Well, I will definitely prove it to them that I'm fully DEAF!!!!

I believe I will get SSDI/SSI soon!!

I have not met any Deaf person who went and applied for SSI/SSDI without terp and get approved. All of them I met have denied because it proves to SSA that this applicant were able to communicate without "Assistance" of an terp. Sometimes SSA people did on purpose not getting terp to see if you can get along without terp and can be a factor deciding whether you qualify or not.

Demand an terp, and it will easily get approved by SSA.

I would advise try find job, it is much better than getting SSI/SSDI because if you want to get SSI/SSDI and in future get an job you will definetly get into mess with SSA people, trust me, alot of my friends including myself are in mess right now. Worth headache? Nope!

I went to SSA without any kind of terp, since I don't know ASL yet, and was still approved. They just sent me for all kinds of testing and I was approved within 3 months.

Update:

I just receive the mail from SSI today and they order me go to Doctor for my appointment on Dec. 15. lol Well, I will definitely prove it to them that I'm fully DEAF!!!!

I believe I will get SSDI/SSI soon!!

That is usually a good sign.

Good Luck!!

I went to SSA without any kind of terp, since I don't know ASL yet, and was still approved. They just sent me for all kinds of testing and I was approved within 3 months.
Me too, I got approved without any interps.

when I first got SSDI, I was not fluent in ASL and I got approved.

Update: I went to doctor yesterday and everything is ok but I'm kind of worry because I don't know what doctor think. he check my ear and my pressure too. I was like wow! they told me that I got high pressure. so, I really hope SSI will make a right decision for me soon!

anyone have been on high pressure before? did they approve you? let me know thank

I don't think this doctor is doing his job and it shows that he/she only interest in profit over patient.

yeah they did it for my ears but they check my pressure and body too.. it's werid! I will find out when I will get mail soon!

Back