Question about See

Psa182

Reaction score
At my school's bookstore, they sell a very large See sign book.
I was wondering, I hardly ever hear about see signing anymore, how commonly (if at all) is see used? And if it's used, where and by whom?

I grew up using SEE when I was in kindergarten to 12th grade. After graduating high school, I began using ASL. I don't exactly know where would be the best place to look. SEE is a little big different than ASL. For instance, if I wanted to say "butterfly"... I would sign "butter" and "fly".

Yes, I know that see has quite a few differences. That's why I'm curious if it's still in widespread use.

Psa182 said:
At my school's bookstore, they sell a very large See sign book.
I was wondering, I hardly ever hear about see signing anymore, how commonly (if at all) is see used? And if it's used, where and by whom?
Some people still use forms of SEE I and SEE II, but most of the time if you observe SEE being used now it is mixed with CASE.

Some school systems still use SEE but the trend is more towards CASE. ASL is best for real communication but some forms of SEE are useful for teaching English grammar in an educational setting. I doubt that you will actually see (oops, no pun intended) Deaf friends sitting around a table chatting in "SEE".

Briefly:

SEE is a sign system, not a language.

ASL is a sign language.

CASE (used to be called PSE), is a "bridge" or contact language between SEE and ASL.

Technically, hearing interpreters use ASL and spoken English; transliterators use SEE/CASE and spoken English. Deaf interpreters use gestures/home signs/mime/regionally specific signs, and ASL.

SEE is useful to know but I would emphasize fluency in ASL first. It is much easier to learn ASL first, then add SEE knowledge, then the other way around. If you learn SEE first, it is harder for a hearing person to "unlearn" it and then learn ASL. SEE and CASE use English sentence structure, whereas ASL has its own structure.

The above statements are very brief and general. Just an introduction. :)

Isn't it harder to learn SEE when you start with ASL? I am curious how some people have such confidence starting with ASL. I see many have a hard time with writing and reading because they grew up with ASL.

TiaraPrincess said:
Isn't it harder to learn SEE when you start with ASL? I am curious how some people have such confidence starting with ASL. I see many have a hard time with writing and reading because they grew up with ASL.
Sorry, I wasn't clear in explaining.

I mean, it is more difficult for hearing people to learn ASL if they learn SEE first. Hearing people prefer to learn SEE because it is more like spoken English word order. Bluntly, it is the lazier way for hearing people to learn a "sign language". ASL is more difficult for hearing people to learn because the "word/sign" order is different from English, non-manual grammatical markers are used instead of "word-endings" (like -ed, 's, etc.). ASL takes more effort for hearies to learn.

If a hearie learns ASL first, becomes fluent ASL, that is the best way to learn. Then, it is easier for the hearie to learn how SEE is used, and learn the SEE rules.

If a hearie learns SEE first, it is harder to learn ASL. The get "stuck" in the SEE mode and have a harder time adjusting to ASL. It is not impossible, but it is more difficult that way.

ASL is much better for learning to think conceptually and not "what-is-the-sign-for-this-word". Hearies need that pah! moment when they realize that signs and words don't "match" just because they are spelled the same.

It is also more difficult for a hearie to get a lot of community signing practice with SEE. If a hearie really wants to mingle and communicate comfortably with the general Deaf population, the hearie needs to know ASL, or at least CASE.

Most of my explanation was focused for a hearing student learning how to sign. Sign language choice and use for Deafies is a totally different (and sometimes controversial) topic. :)

Thank you all for the input.
I'm currently learning ASL. Mostly it's just the signs right now. The rules don't really start in any great detail until the next class.
I agree with you, Reba, that learning SEE is alluring simply because it's so much like the spoken English I've grown up with. However, I'm going to school for ASL, so I plan to wait on the SEE until I finish. No need to confuse myself with trying to learn both at one time.

Last edited:
Back