Question about Relay....

Maria

Premium Member
Reaction score
I need to know if, anyone of you know what the nbr to contact Relay who will accept the calls for international ? Any help will be much appreciated. [/COLOR]

I need to know if, anyone of you know what the nbr to contact Relay who will accept the calls for international ? Any help will be much appreciated.

Are you asking about traditional relay? If you are in the US or Canada, of course, 711 will allow you to make international calls.

If you want a number to receive international traditional relay calls, some state relay will accept international calls in the US. For example, in California:
MCI International (Inbound) Calls: (209) 863-0162
Nordia International (Inbound) Calls: (514) 850-6490
Sprint International (Inbound) Calls: (605) 224-1837

HTH

Are you asking about traditional relay? If you are in the US or Canada, of course, 711 will allow you to make international calls.

If you want a number to receive international traditional relay calls, some state relay will accept international calls in the US. For example, in California:
MCI International (Inbound) Calls: (209) 863-0162
Nordia International (Inbound) Calls: (514) 850-6490
Sprint International (Inbound) Calls: (605) 224-1837

HTH

Will it work thru the internet via relay ?

Will it work thru the internet via relay ?

Sorry, I was only referring to traditional (TTY-based) relay. I believe the FCC explicitly disallows international IP relay calls. Or at least, will not fund this modality and therefore providers do not allow you to make them.

Sorry, I was only referring to traditional (TTY-based) relay. I believe the FCC explicitly disallows international IP relay calls. Or at least, will not fund this modality and therefore providers do not allow you to make them.

Ok, thanks for your effort to assist. I appreciate it ! :)

I will order to get a new tty, because my old ones is not workin' well. I just jot down all the numbers you provided and I will save them for future needs.

International IP–Relay

You can receive International IP–Relay calls through the internet with a MY IP Relay Number from MCI/Verizon IP–Relay. You cannot place International IP–Relay calls.

You can place international VRS calls. To place an international VRS call, simply tell the VI (Video Intepreter) the telephone number you want to dial.

I need to know if, anyone of you know what the nbr to contact Relay who will accept the calls for international ? Any help will be much appreciated. [/COLOR]

Relay as a rule does not make international calls. The farthest we can call is Puerto Rico, but that is also a U.S. Territory. We can also call 1-800 numbers so long as they are toll free outside of the United States that is the only exception. But other than that...they will not relay calls internationally. Why? Because it costs a lot of money, to prevent international fraud, and many other reasons I probably don't know about. Also people, meaning hearing people, or otherwise *NOT DEAF OR HARD OF HEARING* will abuse it to make calls outside of the nation for free - to no cost at all to them. It happens even now...for long distance calls from state to state we see it all the time. It's wrong but it happens and we cant prevent those calls because we dont have sufficient enough proof to say they are not deaf. But you can usually tell when they say things like "my cellphone is out of minutes" or "I don't have long distance"...lol. I hate it.

Yes, you can call international

Relay as a rule does not make international calls.
Text IP–Relay does not make international calls, but text users can receive international calls through MY IP Relay Number. In addition, there is no need for the text user to even be in the United States, so a text user in the United Kingdom could receive a call from a voice user in Canada. (The voice user in Canada would pay international long distance to the United States.) Also, a text user anywhere in the world can call a voice user in the United States for free. VRS does not receive international calls, but they gladly place them. A webcam/videophone user can call a voice user anywhere in the world.
The farthest we can call is Puerto Rico, but that is also a U.S. Territory.
Actually, you should be able to call to or from any US Territory using text IP–Relay, not just Puerto Rico, as long as the country code is also 1. A videophone/webcam user can call anyone in the world.
We can also call 1-800 numbers so long as they are toll free outside of the United States that is the only exception.
The Toll free number must be accessible to American telephone numbers. Many Canadian toll–free telephone numbers are 1–800, but you cannot dial them from the United States.
But other than that...they will not relay calls internationally. Why? Because it costs a lot of money, to prevent international fraud, and many other reasons I probably don't know about.
The inability of a text user to place call to a voice user via text IP–Relay does not eliminate fraud. Nigerians use text IP–Relay all the time to steal money from people using counterfeit money orders and stolen/fraudulent credit card numbers.
Also people, meaning hearing people, or otherwise *NOT DEAF OR HARD OF HEARING* will abuse it to make calls outside of the nation for free - to no cost at all to them. It happens even now...for long distance calls from state to state we see it all the time. It's wrong but it happens and we cant prevent those calls because we dont have sufficient enough proof to say they are not deaf. But you can usually tell when they say things like "my cellphone is out of minutes" or "I don't have long distance"...lol. I hate it.
People do the same thing with CapTel. People who live with a person who is Hard–of–Hearing use it but forget to turn off the captions, but it's not always without purpose. Sometimes, a person who is Hard–of–Hearing is standing by watching the captions. Also, many people who hear and have speech–disabilities use text relay, because they do not speak or have difficulty speaking, even though they can hear. You shouldn't always assume that a person who is Hearing is abusing the service, although most of the time, they are. :(
Sorenson VRS will place international calls for deaf/hoh callers.
Any VRS will place international calls for videophone/webcam users, not just Sorenson.

You can receive international text IP–Relay calls through AIM or MSN Messenger with a MY IP Relay Number from MCI/Verizon IP–Relay. You cannot place international text IP–Relay calls, although you can place a text IP–relay call into the United States from anywhere in the world. Also, voice users anywhere in the world can call you no matter where you are in the world by calling your MY IP Relay Number, although you're not supposed to. (The FCC prohibits callers who are not in the United States to use American IP–Relay to call outside the United States, but IP–Relay providers have no way to verify than an AIM/MSN user is not in the United States.)

You can place international VRS calls. To place an international VRS call, simply tell the VI (Video Interpreter) the telephone number you want to dial. You cannot receive international VRS calls. A videophone/webcam user anywhere in the world can call a voice user in the United States. A videophone/webcam user who is not in the United States is not supposed to be able to call a voice user who is not in the United States, but it is possible. (The VI asked me, "In what state are you?" when I was in Canada using VRS to call a voice user in Canada. I said, "Illinois," and she believed it!)

Last edited:
Back