Question about Recovery

kimpossible

Reaction score
My CI surgery date is May 26th (yay!) and I plan to take my yearly visit to California from early July until July 25th or so. My family and I will be going to Disneyland as usual, and we have annual passes so it doesn't cost us anything to visit Disneyland (they expire on July 28th).

My friend who has a CI told me that I wouldn't be able to go on any rides because I will still be recovering from the surgery, or because I will be sensitive to things like static.

I find this hard to believe, primarily because I've had about 15 operations before, and Disneyland/Disney's California Adventure both have very tame rides. The roller coasters mostly don't exceed 30 miles per hour. The only thing I could think of avoiding would be California Screamin', which is a roller coaster with one loop and over-the-shoulder restraints, and it goes probably 50 or 60 mph tops.

Is my friend correct? If not (generally), do you think I could even get away with riding California Screamin' this year? My main concern is that it's kind of easy to bump the sides of my head against the over-the-shoulder restraints. Honestly, that is the only ride I can think of avoiding, but my friend is the one with the CI experience so I don't know what to think.

The static she's talking about is in regards to wearing a processor, which can be wiped by a static charge - but then its just a case of having the map reinstalled (which can be a pain, but avoided if you don't wear the processor). Personally I've been on rides with my CI processor on (ferris wheels, etc) and have had no problem. The only thing I'd take it off for would be something fast or that turns you upside down (like a roller coaster etc).

Since you will be recovering from surgery and not wearing a processor yet I can't see how static would affect you. However I would recommend that you ask your surgeon if there are any specific types of rides he would like you to avoid, but otherwise just have a fantastic time!! I've been to Disnelyand 5 times and love it!!

I have not been on any rides, but my family and I are going on vacation this summer too. I just plan on taking off my processor and enjoying.

For static I always carry bounce sheets in my pocketbook and car. I was told use bounce it works better. You just rub it to remove the static.

Good luck with surgery!

Check with your doc, but you will probably be fine by then. You won't have your processor yet, but you don't want to wear it on an amusement park ride anyway - static issues aside, the CI doesn't hold on *that* strongly. Have fun!

Edit: Neecy is right - something like a ferris wheel isn't an issue. Just not 'thrill' rides - if you have to make sure you're strapped in, it's probably fast enough that you should put the processor in your pocket.

I always take the processor off for rides and zip it away into a pocket. I've caught too many of other people's baseball caps etc that have flown off, so I don't want to take the risk.

Good luck for your surgery on May 25th :)

My CI surgery date is May 26th (yay!) and I plan to take my yearly visit to California from early July until July 25th or so. My family and I will be going to Disneyland as usual, and we have annual passes so it doesn't cost us anything to visit Disneyland (they expire on July 28th).

My friend who has a CI told me that I wouldn't be able to go on any rides because I will still be recovering from the surgery, or because I will be sensitive to things like static.

I find this hard to believe, primarily because I've had about 15 operations before, and Disneyland/Disney's California Adventure both have very tame rides. The roller coasters mostly don't exceed 30 miles per hour. The only thing I could think of avoiding would be California Screamin', which is a roller coaster with one loop and over-the-shoulder restraints, and it goes probably 50 or 60 mph tops.

Is my friend correct? If not (generally), do you think I could even get away with riding California Screamin' this year? My main concern is that it's kind of easy to bump the sides of my head against the over-the-shoulder restraints. Honestly, that is the only ride I can think of avoiding, but my friend is the one with the CI experience so I don't know what to think.

i didnt know that you will have CI surgery on my birthday! my birthday is May 26th

vallee what a great idea to carry bounce sheets! I'm going to start doing that.

I was told my some older, wiser CI users, make sure it is bounce.

Kim, are you going to have your surgery next Monday?

If so, I wish you all the best of luck with it and quick recovery :fingersx: Please keep us posted about your experience.

BTW, I recently passed (that is, failed with flying colours ;)) the CI evaluation, was declared a candidate, and hope to follow your footsteps pretty soon! So, you can guess I just cannot wait to read your future posts! :applause:

By early July, you'll be feeling fine! In fact, you should feel back to your ol' self in about a week, maybe even less if you're like most people. :) I asked my Dr last summer concerning rides at Cedar Point. You know what he said? The only concern is losing CI's, he said "enjoy the rides and send pictures!!!" :)

Good luck on your CI surgery on the 26th, I'll be thinking of you! :)

Kimpossible, you should be fine after a month from surgery. I just had a cochlear implant myself and tmw will be one month. I lived to tell the tale .. I have had my proessor for almost 2 weeks. I chose the MedEl Opus 2 model with the nifty remote control... There is a 3 year warranty on lost, stolen or repair on the processor. The only static I hear is from electronci things like the antitheft bars at the stores and the microwave now and then.

Bounce smelling processor ??? nah I just touch something metal to discharge the static. It is very hard to zap the processor, since there is a ground wire on the internal implant..

Always ask your surgeon and audiologist for advice..

Kim and Assyant which company and model did you two choose ?

Best wishes on your CI journey .. feel free to contact me with any questions..

Yeah, I don't even know why my friend suggested that...

Anyway.. my surgery was 2 days ago yay! What's annoying me most is how I can't eat anything... apart from not being able to taste with half my tongue, I can't really open my mouth far enough to put things in it/chew because it really hurts my neck on the implanted side. Also my throat is still very sore from the breathing tube they shoved down my trachea so it hurts to swallow. My bottom lip is also still swollen for whatever reason. So in the past 3 days I have had a bowl of miso soup, a protein drink, and 4 yogurts. Go me... I have also brushed my teeth just once... my mouth is pretty disgusting right now. I'd say more disgusting than my ear!

Question for CI implantees: how long did you have to keep your bandage on? I removed mine yesterday but my friend said she had hers on for a week. When I received my BAHA, which had 2 separate operations, I had to keep it on for a week the first operation but then just one day after the next one.

Anyway.. my surgery was 2 days ago yay! What's annoying me most is how I can't eat anything... apart from not being able to taste with half my tongue, I can't really open my mouth far enough to put things in it/chew because it really hurts my neck on the implanted side. Also my throat is still very sore from the breathing tube they shoved down my trachea so it hurts to swallow. My bottom lip is also still swollen for whatever reason. So in the past 3 days I have had a bowl of miso soup, a protein drink, and 4 yogurts. Go me... I have also brushed my teeth just once... my mouth is pretty disgusting right now. I'd say more disgusting than my ear!

Question for CI implantees: how long did you have to keep your bandage on? I removed mine yesterday but my friend said she had hers on for a week. When I received my BAHA, which had 2 separate operations, I had to keep it on for a week the first operation but then just one day after the next one.
what about mouthwash to make it less disgusting :D

as for bandage, whatever surgeon dr. says.

LOL - I had the SAME problem with the mouth and the tongue. It did take me a while for the mouth to open up. I know it hurts, but if you try to stretch it out a few times a day, it will get better. For the "no taste", I had the same problem for BOTH surgeries. What I found helps is eating cold sweet foods such as ice cream, pudding, or whatever.

Well, I kept the first one on for about a week, but did a couple bandage changes, as it was itchy and annoying. The second one, I kept it on for only two days, and used the "jock strap" thing only at night time.

I'm interested to hear your story about why you stopped the BAHA, then decide to get the CI. Are you able to have the full instertation of the CI regardless of your BAHA surgeries? I never met anyone with BAHA, so I'm naturally curious.

I do wish you best of luck with your activation day!!! :) You'll see the pain is all worth it. :-D

Yeah, that's what I'm doing now, eating cold/sweet foods hehe. Just went and bought tons of frozen yogurt, pudding, etc...! But also protein drinks hehe.

I'm interested to hear your story about why you stopped the BAHA, then decide to get the CI. Are you able to have the full instertation of the CI regardless of your BAHA surgeries? I never met anyone with BAHA, so I'm naturally curious.

I only got the BAHA because I was getting some pretty major infections in my left ear, the only ear I also wore a BTE hearing aid in. In 2005, a couple years after I had the BAHA surgeries, I had another operation where the infection was pretty much cleared. Also the BAHA didn't really do squat for me. It was not a very powerful hearing aid, and also sounded incredibly electronic compared to my BTE (an Oticon sumo DM). I didn't see much point to it since after I first got it and my hearing went down further (my hearing also went down a lot further after the operation in 2005) I could only really hear with it if I had a BTE on at the same time. And the whole point of getting the BAHA was so that I wouldn't have to have the BTE blocking out my ear. My CI is on the right side though (I haven't used that ear since I was very young) so it doesn't really make a difference for the BAHA. I might someday decide to get the BAHA screw removed.

My CI friend told me they'd shave my head to insert the CI, but I didn't know it was like, a natural-looking sort of shave. For the BAHA they left me with a permanent bald spot right where the hearing aid goes...

--

Edit: and speaking of amusement parks/implants/hearing aids and such... I lost my $5,000 BAHA once while on an amusement park ride in Playland (Vancouver) called Crazy Beach Party. I was dumb enough to leave the BAHA on and of course I just gently hit the side of my head against the OTS restraint and it flew off. So that was it for my ability to hear for the rest of the day! We couldn't find it, and reported it to lost and found. We thought it was pretty much hopeless until a week later they called us, said they'd found it (tiny little black square box smaller than a quarter) and it had landed in a puddle, supposedly. And it still worked perfectly...

Kimpossible so how are you doing nowdays ? Hope yer mouth is much better and fresh smile

Ouch on a 5,000 dollar box flying off into a puddle.. Good thing it still works.

Back