Question about Neighbor's Webcam

Phillips

Lets ride horses!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Don't asking me about why?!!

4 months ago..

Oldest Parent bought a next house but Guess their two children about 24ish ages Youngs and live that house. They put installed Four Webcams with videotapes on their house.. One of the webcam videos to their garage rear door and believe its view to my home and backyard.

I feel unconformable to see one of the webcams stared at us? In addition, too many lights on overnight and bright into my home? What I do and could contact a police? :hmm:

I would not want that, you can ask them to move it,if they don't you should file a complaint.

Hi,
Don't asking me about why?!!

4 months ago..

Oldest Parent bought a next house but Guess their two children about 24ish ages Youngs and live that house. They put installed Four Webcams with videotapes on their house.. One of the webcam videos to their garage rear door and believe its view to my home and backyard.

I feel unconformable to see one of the webcams stared at us? In addition, too many lights on overnight and bright into my home? What I do and could contact a police? :hmm:

I could see where that would get a little bothersom. Have you talked to your neighbors about your concern?? If not I would maybe discuss it with them so that they can be more aware of your concerns, then maybe they will move the webcam and watch the lights all on their own. If you have asked them nicely to move the one webcam and they do not do so and about the lights then maybe I would see if if you could ask the police for assistance in doing so.

candybrowneyes covered everything what I was planning to post here. :)

If there are other houses in the path of the lights, discuss with your other neighbors about it.

I would get the police involved as my last resort until the neighbors weren't willing to work with you. It won't be fun living next to neighbors hating each others if the police were called in. :-o

Oh that sucks!

This is double edge sword, don't want to ruin neighborhood relationship.

Depending on where you are, if your in New York, that neighbor could be in deep trouble with law. We got law against what is called that I can't even spell that word and it starts with V. New York passed anti-V(whatever) law couple years ago making it crime for anyone doing this.

DHB

wow that is SO weird! candybrown eyes said it all.

boy must it be uncomfortable to approach the neighbors about it?!

oh my goodness, yeah, i would go and talk to them about
that cuz they may not realize that their lights and cams are bothering
you! So it wont hurt to say something about it and you
might be surprised that they may not know that so maybe
they will fix that and problem solved!
Good luck!

Sounds as if these people are paranoid, or fearful? (Not of you, but in general) if they want to have the lights on all the time. The webcam (probably is a surveillance camera, right?) sounds odd, especially if one is directed at your house. I would think you would have rights in relation to that. Talk to them or have someone else talk to them.

Do you have a feeling they are good people, a little too cautious, but aren't trying to do anything wrong?

Maybe they got robbed before? Which may be why they put that up. Or something scary potentially happened in their family that you might not know about. Just nervous people in general.

Perhaps they just have the positioning of the webcam wrong. You can ask of them to point it downwards instead of straight towards your home if you feel that's the problem.

I think from reading your post, they want 360 visual of their house for monitoring robbers or burglars or something like that.

Unless you feel they are spying on you then its probably best to approach them and politely ask if they could move the angle of that particular cam, downwards or at a larger incline.

Like others said, police should be last. Think if it was you and one day you found the police at your doorstep after opening the door and you didn't know why.. Some people would wonder what happened. Later on you discovered it was the neighbors that called the police on you. The relationship might get rocky.

If they don't comply to your gentle requesting, after the police.. then you can have combat methods against it. Usually most cheap outdoor webcams are sensitive to lights with high power at night. Any bright bulb, halogen bulb, high power laser pointer or even a precision flashlight can do the job ;).

Something which can do this:
Blinding+surveillance+camera image by MarciaMcD_2006 on Photobucket

Candybrowneyes covered everything....What I would do myself is to talk with neighbors and find out what's their feel on that situation, they might give you some feedbacks on their thoughts and suggestions. If nothing works, then call in police to help you to go there and talk about the problem, if the police suggest that you file the compliant with the city to have the city investigate and give the neighbor fines for not complying with the city regulations. I received the city regulations when I bought the house, it listed everything including building permits and where to get them before doing any building or digging in our yard.

Hope this helps....

My parents put up the same-thing with 2 cameras pointing directly at
the neighbors house because he is crazy. The neighbor called the police
but they told him it was perfectly legal

Do you have a feeling they are good people, a little too cautious, but aren't trying to do anything wrong?

Maybe they got robbed before? Which may be why they put that up. Or something scary potentially happened in their family that you might not know about. Just nervous people in general.

Perhaps they just have the positioning of the webcam wrong. You can ask of them to point it downwards instead of straight towards your home if you feel that's the problem.

I think from reading your post, they want 360 visual of their house for monitoring robbers or burglars or something like that.

Unless you feel they are spying on you then its probably best to approach them and politely ask if they could move the angle of that particular cam, downwards or at a larger incline.

Like others said, police should be last. Think if it was you and one day you found the police at your doorstep after opening the door and you didn't know why.. Some people would wonder what happened. Later on you discovered it was the neighbors that called the police on you. The relationship might get rocky.

If they don't comply to your gentle requesting, after the police.. then you can have combat methods against it. Usually most cheap outdoor webcams are sensitive to lights with high power at night. Any bright bulb, halogen bulb, high power laser pointer or even a precision flashlight can do the job ;).

Something which can do this:
Blinding+surveillance+camera image by MarciaMcD_2006 on Photobucket

I agree to a certain point... but does a paranoid neighbor, has the right to invade the privacy of another??

I do not agree with that. If the neighbor wants to have survelence cameras or web cams, Etc. Needs to allow it to happen on their own premises or on the street. Not aimed at someones home.

If I was Phillip! I would file stalking charges. I would not want to be watched in my own yard on every step I make.

I am sure there is a law against lurking and stalking a neighbor. Regardless of what the web cam is there for to snoop or what not.

I agree to a certain point... but does a paranoid neighbor, has the right to invade the privacy of another??

I do not agree with that. If the neighbor wants to have survelence cameras or web cams, Etc. Needs to allow it to happen on their own premises or on the street. Not aimed at someones home.

If I was Phillip! I would file stalking charges. I would not want to be watched in my own yard on every step I make.

I am sure there is a law against lurking and stalking a neighbor. Regardless of what the web cam is there for to snoop or what not.

nope. not for security purpose unless you have evidence/proof that he is doing it to stalk you.

I'm sure the neighbor wasn't using security camera for voyeur purpose and i'm sure his camera isn't 100% aiming at you.

nope. not for security purpose unless you have evidence/proof that he is doing it to stalk you.

I'm sure the neighbor wasn't using security camera for voyeur purpose and i'm sure his camera isn't 100% aiming at you.

How can you be so sure???

Security purpose on his own property is fine!

Aiming the camera at someone else's home is not....

Update!

I talked with my family and friends! They thought that I am planning selling my home and buying two homes in Ca and Vt later, I said. Yes.. They said A Better off and ingored neighbor. They think that couple young had problems paranoid?

My kids are mostly playing on my driveway to front left side Yard instead backyard! :roll:

Back