Question about HoH grandpapa

Mimsy

Reaction score
My grandfather is 77 and is HoH due to age. No one ever thought of him as "hard of hearing", it was just "Nonno (grandpapa in Italian) is getting old and his hearing isn't as good as it used to be". But it's becoming an issue because we have to speak really loudly and he has to be looking at us when we speak to him. My nonna wants him to get a hearing aid, but he says he does not want to. He tells us just to speak loud and then he won't need a HA.

After reading here at AD for a long time, I see many Deaf feel that natural is best and others feel that technology is best. My question is should my family pressure him into getting a HA??? I just came back from visiting them in Italy and omg it's hard to communicate with him unless we shout and we have to make sure he's looking right at us when we speak. I don't care, I'll do it the way he wants, but my nonna is giving him hell about not wanting a HA.

Any advice?

My grandfather is 77 and is HoH due to age. No one ever thought of him as "hard of hearing", it was just "Nonno (grandpapa in Italian) is getting old and his hearing isn't as good as it used to be". But it's becoming an issue because we have to speak really loudly and he has to be looking at us when we speak to him. My nonna wants him to get a hearing aid, but he says he does not want to. He tells us just to speak loud and then he won't need a HA.

After reading here at AD for a long time, I see many Deaf feel that natural is best and others feel that technology is best. My question is should my family pressure him into getting a HA??? I just came back from visiting them in Italy and omg it's hard to communicate with him unless we shout and we have to make sure he's looking right at us when we speak. I don't care, I'll do it the way he wants, but my nonna is giving him hell about not wanting a HA.

Any advice?

Wow...that brings back memories of talking with my Nonna. Everytime I went to say something I had to take a deep breath....:shock: and she had hearing aids, I'm surprised to say. She spent a lifetime working in factories in Lynn as a child and I suspect the hearing aids were either cheap state paid, or just cheap. They did her no good but I do recall she wore them as she used to love The Lawrence Welch Show. I know not hearing bothered her so I can imagine how it is for your Nonno.

The short answer, is it's his decision. I'm sure he doesn't like it but maybe he feels he can't afford them and doesn't want the expense at his age. Maybe if you talk to him about what's out there and possible coverage, he'll feel better about it. Tell him how it'll help him stay connected with the family, etc. Most people tend to be reluctant because they think they cost over the moon, which they do. People from his generation didn't spend that kind of money on themselves so I suspect it's not a "I don't want anyone to see me wear them" type of situation, but rather a "I don't want to pay for that" deal. Edit to say, my father is his age and whenever I bring up the subject of Phonak, the excuse is always the cost and, sadly, I know my Dad wants them because he knows he's missing a lot, but he doesn't want anymore debt at this stage in his life.

Laura

My dad put off getting hearing aids for a long time, and was really surprised at what he was missing when he finally got them. I suspect people who lose hearing due to age, lose it so gradually, they don't really know how "bad" it is, and how much they can "get back" if they get hearing aids.

I'd say for the average person with some hearing loss, it's worth trying out. My dad wears his all the time now.

Actually, I don't think he really understood how bad my hearing must be until he got hearing aids and understood what he was missing... and his is mild.

As for paying for them, if someone is a U.S. military vet, Veterans Administration will pay for it.

If someone is still working, Vocational Rehabilitation will pay for it, in order to help the person keep working.

A couple possible sources of funding...

My mother had problem with her hearing loss years ago. My sister tried to tell our mother that she need to get hearing aid to help her hear sounds, even environment sounds. She refused to get hearing aid, for me I think she refused to believed that she is losing her hearing loss. She had been hearing for a long time until she was about 50 or 60 years old. Not sure when she start to lose her hearing.

So she never got the hearing aid because she had passed away in 2006. She had Alzheimer's Disease and later had cancer that came back again before she died.

My mother made me wear hearing aid when I was 8 1/2 years old. I really did not like wearing my hearing aid but she wanted me to hear. So maybe she does not like the idea of wearing hearing aid because I don't like it. I don't know what she was thinking. **sigh** I can not read her mind like ESP. :(

Unfortunately the stance of denial re: you have a hearing loss but ignore can have "effects on others",
No easy answer to alter this!

So she never got the hearing aid because she had passed away in 2006. She had Alzheimer's Disease and later had cancer that came back again before she died.
Current research indicates that people with age-related hearing loss and Alzheimer's function much better when the hearing loss is addressed.
There may be concerns about money, but body-worn hearing aids are rarely stolen from residents of care facilities; they are sturdier and less expensive than the BTE's that more mobile people use.
In culture where women are much more subordinate to men, husbands tend to expect wives to adapt to their wants and needs. Sounds like Nonna needs to break out of the mold, and tell her husband how stressful it is, and how much she has to adapt in order to be able to communicate with her one-and-only.

My great aunt and my grandfather were the same way...we had to shout in their ear...and they would get "mad" if if didn't tell them what was being said....

Seems men are more stubborn than women...:giggle:....and guessing ur grandmother feels she is talking to the wall and wants ur grandfather to hear what she is saying....then again....maybe he is tired of hearing any "nagging"....(just sayin').....Then again, I'm sure that losing your hearing at any age, gets depressing.....Maybe it would only take someone that would be able to talk to ur grandfather and encourage him to at least try a HA....Old people are reluctant to try new things in most cases.....and they are in denial.

....Old people are reluctant to try new things in most cases.....and they are in denial.

This.

Old people get more and more stubborn as they get older.

As we get older, we still think we are in our 20's, but our bodies are letting us down....so it is hard for us to accept the fact that we are no longer able to do what we did, so it hits our egos pretty hard.

One thing is for sure....you can't convince anyone to make changes...they have to want to make the change first.

I would not pressure your grandpapa to wear a HA , I had clients had their families do this and the HA just end up in a desk drawer. The HA where the kind the fitted right into the ear and it was too small for my clients to use. It was more of hassle fighting with the parent or grandparent to put their HA on .

Get one of those hunting aids that hunters use for hearing small sounds while hunting. Get people to fake it that they can hear a whisper at 50 feet and. Get him to put them on. They actually amp up sounds so he may like it. They are pretty cheap. My father got tiny aids but I think they are for show only. He is deaf when he fakes understanding

Well, it's settled he does not want a HA and doesn't want anyone nagging him. He said when he changes his mind, he'll go to the doctor and get one. He's very set in his ways and we'll respect his choice. Thanks for the responses.

Well, it's settled he does not want a HA and doesn't want anyone nagging him. He said when he changes his mind, he'll go to the doctor and get one. He's very set in his ways and we'll respect his choice. Thanks for the responses.

Yeah...that's his right...and of course, older people are "set in their ways"....Let him be....so guessing your grandma can nag him all she wants....:giggle:...he won't be listening.....but wondering too...if she's gonna feel somewhat neglected and aggravated at him for the communication problem....who knows?...she might pick up some ASL....

Maybe you can use some chloroform and sneak in hearing aids.

Perhaps one way to suggest that one is not hearing-write everything-from now on. Dealing with actual situation may finally "sink in-gee I have a hearing lost".

aside: I am a grandfather-3 grand daughters and aged 76.

My dad n' my uncle do believe what I wear hearing aids that's why they bought.

I say respect his wishes. Hearing loss won't kill him. He's old enough to decide his own life.

Back