Question about Deaf education

impaired

Reaction score
My question is in regards to countries that use English as their official language. Do schools for the deaf traditionally teach English grammar? If they don't, why not?

Thank you in advance :)

You live in the United States, correct?

What is the purpose of this question?

If you do a minimal amount of research, you will discover the answer to your question.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Urgh ...

Of course school for the Deaf in English speaking countries teach English (good grief!).

Typically in schools where ASL is the primary language of instruction, it's taught as ESL/EAL. This recognizes the fact that for many hoh & deaf children English is a non-native language for them which requires a slightly different teaching style than a language they have full native access to.

The issue, for what it's worth, with hoh and deaf people who struggle with English is mainly because of these two reasons:

1) Lack of ANY natural fluent language exposure and langiage modelling during the first 3-4years of life.

2) Poor written language instruction in early school years, especially by educators who aren't aware of how to correctly teach English to hoh & deaf children (that may or may not be able to hear ANY spoken speech - which means "phonic learning" is largely useless).

English is deaf people's second language; they grow up knowing ASL or any other sign language as a first language during the first years of their life. They can not hear anyone speaking English, therefore they do not recognize the English grammar.

Speaking from experience, I was never taught how to write English the right way. I was only taught the difference between noun and verb. That was it. Their teaching just wasn't deep enough, so I had to rely on myself to read a lot of books to understand English.

Knowing what it's like as a deaf person, I would encourage deaf/hoh children to read the books not just in school but at home as well. That is parents' responsibility to help their kids learn English.

Back