Question about CODAs

purplewowies

Reaction score
Do your parents have to be culturally Deaf to "count" as a CODA?

(I feel like this is a dumb question, and I feel like I didn't even phrase it right. :Oops:)

Do your parents have to be culturally Deaf to "count" as a CODA?

(I feel like this is a dumb question, and I feel like I didn't even phrase it right. :Oops:)

Yes, that is what the term is referring to, and it means sharing a common cultural background.

No. My mom is deaf, but she's not culturally Deaf. I was wondering if I counted as a CODA or not. :P

I know this family who is all deaf and they get offended if their children get called CODAS. They are all oral and don't know ask except for one of the twin daughters who is hearing. She learned AsL in high school and just fell in love with it and now works in the Deaf Ed field but her parents and their siblings still refuse to learn AsL. It was very interesting!

My dad and mom are deaf. My two aunts and one uncle. I have two sisters deaf, one brother hard of hearing and one brother hearing. I come from from strong Deaf culture upbring. To my family we view CODA only if child parent/s were brought up in Deaf culture. If the parents not Deaf culture than you only have deaf mother. CODA is about the child being raised in a Deaf culture home and environ ment. Not having a label deaf parent. Its about being raised and exposed in DEAF community and soaked in Deaf culture. Then you are CODA . So you only have deaf mom. My dad said, you are not CODA. Your mom just happen to be deaf.

I felt that no matter what communication the hearing child or children speak in oral or sign in ASL with their d/Deaf parents, they are still consider as CODA (Children of Deaf Adults). They were born with deaf parents no matter what. The hearing children who refuse to sign just did not know that they can be CODA even if they speak in oral only. They don't have to sign. They are stuck with their label. :)

I was married to a hearing man but I am deaf. I raised my son to sign at 3 or 4 years old and he did mispronounced words like me. I learned that from his grandmother that he mispronounced like a deaf person. :lol: Whether he had one or two deaf parents, he is still consider CODA. :)

Is it a "requirement" of local Canadian/American? Deaf groups in dealing with children of Deaf parents that the "Label" CODA has some "significance"? If so-what?

Aside: To advise my 2 sons -they are now CODA!

Is it a "requirement" of local Canadian/American? Deaf groups in dealing with children of Deaf parents that the "Label" CODA has some "significance"? If so-what?

Aside: To advise my 2 sons -they are now CODA!

Not true. The deaf one would not be a CODA even if you were Deaf.

He would also be Deaf...

Interesting points of view from deafgam and Bebonang....very insightful. :)

Back