question about ci surgury...

darkangel8603

Reaction score
Hey guys... I was thinking about getting my ci and stuff which wont be til 3 to 9 months from now.. but i was thinking about the surgury itself.. then i realize ohh wow that is a big thing.. i mean i know its a huge thing and i already knew the risks and that stuff about it.. but I was wondering.. how much of a risk is it to die at the surgury table? Has there been anybody who died on the table? I know there had been a couple of toddlers, but what about adults or teenagers like me? It kinda made me think, and think wow if the doctor who is doing the surgury make a mistake i will be in danger.. I couldn't bear to have the idea of my parent finding out i died on the table.

Have you discussed the risks with your doctor yet?

darkangel8603 said:
Hey guys... I was thinking about getting my ci and stuff which wont be til 3 to 9 months from now.. but i was thinking about the surgury itself.. then i realize ohh wow that is a big thing.. i mean i know its a huge thing and i already knew the risks and that stuff about it.. but I was wondering.. how much of a risk is it to die at the surgury table? Has there been anybody who died on the table? I know there had been a couple of toddlers, but what about adults or teenagers like me? It kinda made me think, and think wow if the doctor who is doing the surgury make a mistake i will be in danger.. I couldn't bear to have the idea of my parent finding out i died on the table.
Do u born deaf or hearing? how much do u have hearing inside of u?

Like any other kind of surgery, there is always a risk of death or other problems. It really depends on your current physical condition more than anything else. Of course, doctors can make mistakes too.

I think Reba said it best, "Have you discussed this with your doctor?"

Dale

yah i did discuss it with doctor already.. but i never thought to ask this question, and now too late cuz i cant seem to contact her for some reason.

call the hosiptal where you will be doing at.. and ask them " how many deaths?"

i believe most deaths during any form of surgery are caused by anthesiana (sp?) its a tube that keeps u breathing while having surgery preformed. a tube goes in ur mouth through ur throat till its in ur lungs.

also.. maybe to enlighten ur worries.. ask the hosiptal how many surgerys that doctor preformed.. how many risks occured..
i did this to mine.. and found its not many.. only 1 of them is permentant facical parylized out of over 300.. so that's small.

Try not to worry, DA. I'm sure you will see this doctor a few more times before the actual implant surgery. Just write down your questions, and when you see/talk to him, have your list handy, so you can ask him the things you need asking!

As people are saying, every surgery carries with it *some* risks. There are factors that come into play such as the person's physical condition at time of surgery, but even if you're in tip top physical condition, there will still be a very small risk to you. Discussing these risks with your doctor is your best bet. Then, you can decide if you still want to have the surgery done or not.

Good luck, DA! Try not to worry yourself silly until you know what you're dealing with. :)

I think although I'm not positive that the only risk of the surgery is being put under. It's not transplant surgery or heart surgery or the like.

Questions about CI Surgery

Hello Darkangel,

the others are right there area always risks with any surgery, but CI surgery is not one of the more risky operations. I was implanted in June and I must say for me it was a "walk in the park" I know others have had some probelms after surgery but I did not. I was told it would be a 4 hour surgery and about 4 hours in recovery, it turned out that I was awake and walking around just 3 hours after entering the operating room. I had very little pain from the surgery and I was out walking around in a park and visiting friends the following morning.

You have been given some good advice here - write down your questions, talk to the surgeon, talk to the Audi, and ask others. If a CI is right for you and you will benefit I encourage you to go for it, I am truly amaxed at what I am experiencing already.

Regards,
Mike "Ears Hopin" P
Implanted June 3/05

A close friend of mine had the surgery last Christmas.

His recovery was fine. No complications. He's 47. You teen's have a much easier time with this sort of thing than those of us 'older folk' do.

Other than being put under a general anesthetic, the risk is extremely low. I'd venture to say it's probably safer than having your appendix taken out.

I'd suggest that you have someone (parent?) who can serve as in interpreter with you during pre-op. The first thing they did with my friend was take his glasses and hearing aids. The nurses weren't accustomed to dealing with deaf folks. They stay very busy and talk as they do things. This makes them VERY hard to lipread. Serving as my friend's interpreter allowed me to make sure that nothing was missed in the discussion and in the pre-op questions.

My friend is actually getting both ears done. I plan to be with him for his second surgery also.

So long as I live, I'll never forget the first time he and I went to lunch after his CI was activated. We scratched, rubbed, and pounded on every surface in the cab of my pickup just to see what sound it made.

It was an amazing experience for me. Watching my friend 'learn to hear' was like watching a miracle right before my eyes. For him, it was frightening, tiring, frustrating, confusing, wonderful, miraculous, exciting, fresh, and new all at the same time.

I'm a hearie. I don't claim to understand what it means to be deaf. I'm just sharing my observations and my friends.

brianb

*anthesiana*

I think it's *anesthesia". An- Es -The - Sia

BTW that's true, every surgery carry a risk, even as simple one as removing your tonsils.
But deaths from surgery are rather rare, so don't worry - if you are generally healthy everything will be OK.
Personally I don't know anyone who died form surgery, myself I was put under anesthesia at least 4 times for minor health problems. One was for inner ear surgery.

I am still here :)

Fuzzy

Back