Queer - derogatory or not?

lumbingmi

Reaction score
The word queer has traditionally meant "strange" or "unusual," but its use in reference to LGBT (gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, intersex, asexual, etc.) communities as well as those perceived to be members of those communities has replaced the traditional definition and application. Its usage is considered controversial and underwent substantial changes over the course of the 20th Century with some LGBT re-claiming the term as a means of self-empowerment.

Queer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would like to ask gay people (straight people can make comments as long they dont turn this thread to be gay bashing) is 'queer' offensive to you or not?

I was called out by a member in here that I m being offensive and bigot because I use term 'queer'. I dont see it as offensive but just a word that describe homosexually people. I throw 'queer' around with my gay brother and gay friends. They have no problem with me saying 'queer'.

Also you know that there's a show called 'Queer as Folks' and this show has gay characters. From what i read, gay people have no problem with the title of show.

What s your take on this term?

I think it's more of an issue of attention or being left out.

I've met with some students at NTID who would say that they aren't offended or concerned about an issue. Months later, someone would bring up a complaint about that issue and attract attention. Suddenly, the ones who said they weren't offended or concerned... would join the bandwagon and start complaining as well.

So, the question is... were they really concerned/offended or were they feeling that this one particular person was going to become popular cuz he/she was getting attention and they wanted to gain attention as well?

I think it's more of an issue of attention or being left out.

I've met with some students at NTID who would say that they aren't offended or concerned about an issue. Months later, someone would bring up a complaint about that issue and attract attention. Suddenly, the ones who said they weren't offended or concerned... would join the bandwagon and start complaining as well.

So, the question is... were they really concerned/offended or were they feeling that this one particular person was going to become popular cuz he/she was getting attention and they wanted to gain attention as well?

You might be right, Vampy. I am suddenly reminded of how the African American rappers can call each other the 'N' word but anybody outside that race can't call them the 'N' word. Isn't it so similiar to the word "queer" and the gay people?

I thought the "queer" is becoming less derogartory because if the word is used in TV like "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" until I read Vampy's post.

Nah!! Depend .. If Angry or Sad then don't say!

Last edited by a moderator:
Queer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would like to ask gay people (straight people can make comments as long they dont turn this thread to be gay bashing) is 'queer' offensive to you or not?

I was called out by a member in here that I m being offensive and bigot because I use term 'queer'. I dont see it as offensive but just a word that describe homosexually people. I throw 'queer' around with my gay brother and gay friends. They have no problem with me saying 'queer'.

Also you know that there's a show called 'Queer as Folks' and this show has gay characters. From what i read, gay people have no problem with the title of show.

What s your take on this term?

You should use that word around your brother but not in the general public as it is deemed offensive. The reasoning is simple: you're straight. You're not gay, or lesbian.

It's the same concept with African-Americans that use the 'n' word with each other. It's okay for them to use it but it's not okay for an individual from a different race to use it.

As for the television show, "Queer as Folks", it was okay to use the terminology due to the fact that the television show was showcasting gay, lesbians in a positive light.

Makes sense?

I can see the objection to "queer," as it denotes someone odd or deviant. What's wrong with homosexual, or it's shortened for "homo." I have no objection to being called "heterosexual" or "hetero."

What about "same-sexer"? Wouldn't that be descriptive without derogotory implications?

What's not descriptive is "gay." Besides it's confused with the given name and surname of Gay. It definitely bothers those I know with that name, so I refuse to use it for people with same-sex preferences.

You should use that word around your brother but not in the general public as it is deemed offensive. The reasoning is simple: you're straight. You're not gay, or lesbian.

Are you queer? If not, then you can't tell me what's right or wrong. I think we have gay AD members so we ll wait for their replies.

What do you expect? They are well known as drama queens. Lmao.

I can see the objection to "queer," as it denotes someone odd or deviant. What's wrong with homosexual, or it's shortened for "homo." I have no objection to being called "heterosexual" or "hetero."

What about "same-sexer"? Wouldn't that be descriptive without derogotory implications?

What's not descriptive is "gay." Besides it's confused with the given name and surname of Gay. It definitely bothers those I know with that name, so I refuse to use it for people with same-sex preferences.

:gpost:

Are you queer? If not, then you can't tell me what's right or wrong. I think we have gay AD members so we ll wait for their replies.

Okay "breeder".

How do you like that label? How do you like that insult?

Not nice is it?

As to one's sexual orientation, it's really no one's business unless you want to go to bed with me. :) But for the record, I'm bi.

Of all the terms being thrown around, I like being called "breeder" best. In fact, I may have a tee-shirt made to help brag about it.

What scares me is "bi." I didn't know the implication. I'll have to shred my Bi-Mart card and never shop there again.

Of all the terms being thrown around, I like being called "breeder" best. In fact, I may have a tee-shirt made to help brag about it.

What scares me is "bi." I didn't know the implication. I'll have to shred my Bi-Mart card and never shop there again.
Why is that? Basically, a breeder would be someone whose sole purpose in life is to make babies one after another. If it was a guy, he would have sex with many women just to make them pregnant. If it was a woman, she would get pregnant... then pregnant again as soon as she's able to get pregnant. (A good couple will have a kid about 2 to 3 years apart. Getting pregnant before your kid is even one is usually considered "too early".)

Bi-Mart? There used to be a place called Bi-Rite next to RIT years ago. Recently, a new owner took over and renamed it to Cece's (I think).

Why is that? Basically, a breeder would be someone whose sole purpose in life is to make babies one after another. If it was a guy, he would have sex with many women just to make them pregnant. If it was a woman, she would get pregnant... then pregnant again as soon as she's able to get pregnant. (A good couple will have a kid about 2 to 3 years apart. Getting pregnant before your kid is even one is usually considered "too early".)

A good point, since we're talking about labeling for sexual preferences.

I guess it's inoffensive other meaning appealed to me (as well as the double entendre). For instance, I used to raise livestock, at one time I raised Siamese cats, and at present I still raise bees.

As you so well point out, labels have different meanings to different people.

Bi-Mart? There used to be a place called Bi-Rite next to RIT years ago. Recently, a new owner took over and renamed it to Cece's (I think).

Bi-Mart is a Pacific northwest enterprise.

Bi-Mart Corporation | Membership Discount Store

It's my understanding that the label "queer" implied the person's social/political activism.

Phillips nipped it in the bud, explaining that the spirit behind the name-calling/label determines the use of the word.

Even so, it's an individual thing - everybody's different.

Using the word "queer" is acceptable if you embrace gay and lesbian culture. For that, you'd need to be GLBT yourself, or move in GLBT circles.

If you're using the word in a derogatory manner, it is unacceptable. To use it for empowerment (as the creators of Queer As Folk did), it is perfectly acceptable.

Okay "breeder".

How do you like that label? How do you like that insult?

Not nice is it?

As to one's sexual orientation, it's really no one's business unless you want to go to bed with me. :) But for the record, I'm bi.

Breeder has nothing to do with sex preferences. lmao.

Nah, I dont want to sleep with queer guy because I have no sex interest in male's genitals :)

Using the word "queer" is acceptable if you embrace gay and lesbian culture. For that, you'd need to be GLBT yourself, or move in GLBT circles.

If you're using the word in a derogatory manner, it is unacceptable. To use it for empowerment (as the creators of Queer As Folk did), it is perfectly acceptable.

Agreed. I myself started to get involved in gay world pretty (their experiences are pretty much like deaf people just that most of deaf people dont realize it) much when my queer brother came out so I throw "queer" around and quite frankly, it s no big deal. However, a member called me out as gay basher hence the reason for this thread to see whether gay AD members consider queer to derogatory or not.

Agreed. I myself started to get involved in gay world pretty (their experiences are pretty much like deaf people just that most of deaf people dont realize it) much when my queer brother came out so I throw "queer" around and quite frankly, it s no big deal. However, a member called me out as gay basher hence the reason for this thread to see whether gay AD members consider queer to derogatory or not.

You have the link?

From what I've heard that the word "queer" is an offensive word to the homosexuals, unless you're homosexual yourself you're allow to call another homosexual queer, but they would not like it coming from straight people, same goes for "faggot", "dyke", "fruit", "fairy".

It's best to ask the individual who is homosexual what that person prefer to be labeled, we shouldn't give that person a name, unless says otherwise we could.

It's the same as deaf people, some prefer not to label deaf people "hearing impaired" while I feel there is nothing wrong with anyone labeling me "hearing impaired" every individual is different, they have their own acceptance of describing themselves.

From what I've heard that the word "queer" is an offensive word to the homosexuals, unless you're homosexual yourself you're allow to call another homosexual queer, but they would not like it coming from straight people, same goes for "faggot", "dyke", "fruit", "fairy".

It's best to ask the individual who is homosexual what that person prefer to be labeled, we shouldn't give that person a name, unless says otherwise we could.

It's the same as deaf people, some prefer not to label deaf people "hearing impaired" while I feel there is nothing wrong with anyone labeling me "hearing impaired" every individual is different, they have their own acceptance of describing themselves.

Don't forget...."muff-diver", "corn-holer".

Back