QQ about CI and tennitus

Hear Again,
You have been so kind and helpful in answering to my questions.

One more ... if the CI is in my right ear, would this have any
affect on the left ear tennitus? Does it matter which ear has
the ringing after the CI?

deafmama,

When my first CI was activated, I wore a hearing aid from the day of activation until 6 months later. For the first month or two the hearing aid helped me hear binaurally and complimented my CI by bringing in low frequencies while my CI brought in high frequencies. Eventually I found that my CI ear became more dominant and that I could no longer tell when my hearing aid battery died. I also had difficulty hearing speech and environmental sounds on my hearing aid side. When I was evaluated for bilateral CIs, it was discovered that I lost more hearing in my right ear (the ear I wore the HA in). My CI audi also explained that because of the clarity I received from my CI, my brain could no longer make sense of the weak, distorted signal it received from the hearing aid. Don't be surprised if the same thing happens to you. I know several CI users who started wearing CI/HA together who eventually stopped wearing their HA because the CI was so much better. To be fair, I also know CI/HA users who still love using both, so it's all a matter of what works best for you. :)

This is wonderful news! This is music to my ears! I'm just scared, nervous and worried all together about which ear.

This morning I had contacted the Long Island Hearing and Speech to get my
records from 1960 -1965 if it were possible. I would love to compare my
old hearing test to now and possibly added to my up to date records with the
CI surgeon.

Thanks for sharing your story with me.

Hear Again,
You have been so kind and helpful in answering to my questions.

One more ... if the CI is in my right ear, would this have any
affect on the left ear tennitus? Does it matter which ear has
the ringing after the CI?

To answer the first question, not much. It won't drown out the tinnitus in the opposite ear. But the effect of a CI in the opposite ear can be helpful as you will be hearing in the ear with the CI. Kind of like distracting you from it.

To answer the second question...not quite sure of your meaning.

If you have the CI on the side with tinnitus, then the CI can overpower it when you hear. In some cases, it actually helps diminish it when the CI is off. That depends on the person.

If it the CI is in the opposite ear of the one with tinnitus my first answer should explain it.

Suzi, I will answer you later this eveing. I just stopped in but realized that I don't feel like typing at the moment. I'm wanting to play one of the games I've been playing. lol! But please know that I will reply to you tonight. :)

To answer the first question, not much. It won't drown out the tinnitus in the opposite ear. But the effect of a CI in the opposite ear can be helpful as you will be hearing in the ear with the CI. Kind of like distracting you from it.

To answer the second question...not quite sure of your meaning.

If you have the CI on the side with tinnitus, then the CI can overpower it when you hear. In some cases, it actually helps diminish it when the CI is off. That depends on the person.

If it the CI is in the opposite ear of the one with tinnitus my first answer should explain it.

Thanks Soars. Yes this is exactly my questions. I just don't like the fact that the surgeon left it up to me to decide and not a medical decision or say, a solution to my tinnitus. Oh well!
Thanks for your input.

Suzi: I apologize for being a few days late now. I had bad cramps & just had a real moody weekend, being a woman sometime sucks! ;)

Deafskeptic: I think I was playing Miss Managment, Turbo Burger, Frever Frenzy, or Sally's Salon. One of those! Heh. :)

Suzi: You're right, I did have terribile Tinnitus in both ears before my CI surgery and I too wondered if it'd improve, many on here said it improved for them & hoped it would improve for me. My results was, like most of them, it improved soooo much, on both ears!!! I've only had maybe 5 days since I've been activated that I had to deal with Tinnitus that kept me up or annoyed me, but the good news, is now I'm able to just plug in the mp3 player or if I'm at the computer, put my CI accessory cord into the speaker & listen to stuff on our music site that my husband set up. It's freaking great. :)

Before the surgery, if I'd get tinnitus in my non implanted ear, I'd sometimes start to lose what's left of my residul hearing & wouldn't be able to hear, even with my hearing aid. I now no longer experience that! Before surgery, if I get tinnitus in my now implanted ear, I was stuck dealing with it 24/7/365 because I've already stopped wearing a hearing aid in that ear, so I was unable to have sound try to help mask out the tinnitus. It sucked!!! But now? I'm able to do that!!! :]

I would suggest you to go with maybe your worst ear, that way you can use a hearing aid or whatever residul hearing you have left on your good ear. Err, I mean get the CI on the non comfort zone ear. ;)

Have you decided on which implant you want?

I really hope you get lucky like me, and get rid of the Tinnitus once you get activated. :)

I am leaving in just an hour or two. I'm heading up north with my sister in law. We're taking my 2 girls, and her daughter. I won't have internet connection. *whines* But to those that like to chat, and would like to keep me company on the 3 hrs drive [SIL is driving, not me, heh] PM me with your AIM or email addy, or even text & I'll give mine back, of course. :] I'll check in Friday night! :)

I appreciate ALL of your feedback and stories.

The latest with me is I had to get a CAT scan on the left side and
blood work.

Was anyone required blood work prior to the CI? What was it for?
My guess would be amount of calcium in the bones.

blood work.

I was required extensive blood work. I don't know if they checked for calcium in the bones. My doctor checked for everything, blood count, cholesterol, thyroid, cancer, lymes disease, syphilis and hiv and a few other things. They want to make sure that you are healthy.

blood work.

Besides blood type, they wated to know blood sizes, blood counts and blood size variation. Basically to see if your body has any current infections and to check your blood ability to carry oxygen during a operation. In my case everything has to fall within a certain range before I can have the operation. Here is a web page that explains blood counts a bit beter. CBC Blood Counts

Thank you Contradica and John. I'm learning something new pertaining to
the CI everyday!

Back