Purple upset FCC says 'NO'

Even though majority of the deaf population (as in not ASL signers) uses text-relay? :P

Yea that one wavie too... that it expect.. but it would be nice service like.. text to SVRS because... lot of small town doesn't have TTY and still stuck... so I guess that what Purple is try to do?

I think FCC did the right thing because they feel when hearing conference to hearing conternce, fcc dont pay it. its same apply to deaf conference to deaf conference. I don't see why purple is anal over this.

Name one technology or software that supports video conference calls in the following criteria.
Can manage up to 15 people or beyond
Must be H.323 or SIP based telephony
Bandwidth must be limited to around 384Kb

Do you?

Probably not thats why Purple had to file an appeal on this issue.

Name one technology or software that supports video conference calls in the following criteria.

Do you?

if FCC say OK then Soresnon will became BIG
Soresnon already has confrence program

huh? kelby brick vlog explain how to file there

That is not what I meant. I was asking if video conferencing with a VRS interpreter was commonly done? Why should we complain? I have never used, nor seen it used. I can't even imagine why it would be used and why should the FCC pay for it. Give me an example of how the video conferencing feature is used so that it requires reimbursement from FCC. The vlog did not explain that.

from purple web lookie here

The TRS Fund is administered by the National Exchange Carriers Association (“NECA”). In the event the FCC decides not to reconsider the Company’s petition for rulemaking or otherwise decides not to permit reimbursement for multi-party calls that do not include a hearing person, and the Company’s efforts to appeal the Order are unsuccessful, the Company will no longer be reimbursed by NECA for such calls. The Company is in the process of determining what portion of its receipts from NECA are attributable to multi-party calls not involving a hearing person and what impact the FCC’s ruling, if upheld, would have on the financial statements of the Company. The inability to collect reimbursement for such multi-party calls would reduce the Company’s revenue and cash flow and the Company believes it would likely have a material adverse effect on the Company’s business and results of operations.

that why Purple is get anal over it, gotta love Purple for public traded company

dead feature

No, qwerty, it not just dead. The feature cannot go on because FCC said NO unless hearing caller is involved in the conference calls then deaf callers would be forced to find a hearing person to start a conference calls which I find it is absurd and waste of their time to find a hearing caller.

It is not dead yet, but Purple will try to convince them to overturn the decision. By the way, Sorenson do not have conference program for conference calls. If all VP companies already have conference program, FCC will not allow it unless a hearing caller is involved. If you meant Sorenson VRI program that is completely different program than the regular conference calls. This can be found in Sorenson VRI which it is completely different program that interpret between hearing and deaf people in the same location. It states, "Ideal for one-on-one discussions or small group conversations", which it still between deaf and hearing people to use this program. SorensonVRI program is totally different if you meant those program.

What this whole topic is about having deaf to deaf conference calls instead of using hearing to deaf conference call. Having deaf to deaf conference calls is the best idea to use for deaf business owners to have conference calls. If FCC told them NO to conference calls unless there a hearing caller, then it would waste deaf callers' time to find one.

Again, qwerty, the conference call with MVP or P3 is not dead but they will try their best to convince FCC to overturn that decision. Another way of saying, Purple is asking for clarification on why FCC declined to allow Purple to use conference call unless a hearing caller is involved in the conference call.

Now, qwerty, read closely on this petition you provided,
"Exhibit number 99.2- Petition for Rulemaking to Clarify Rules filed by Purple Communications, Inc. on August 12, 2009 with the Federal Communications Commission."

Do you know what this mean qwerty? It is a petition asking to clarify rules filed by Purple with FCC. This is why Kelby is working with them about this situation, seeking clarification from FCC. Now when you read down to the bottom of the petition, I will provide you part of the petition which it states, "Title IV of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), which added section 225 to the Communications Act of 1934, as amended, 1 requires common carriers offering telephone voice transmission services to provide telecommunications relay services (TRS) throughout their service areas. Telecommunications relay services are defined in the Communications Act as “services that provide the ability for an individual who has a hearing impairment or speech impairment to engage in communication by wire or radio with a hearing individual.” and there is another underneath the first petition it says, "On August 12, 2009, Purple Communications, Inc. (Purple) filed a Petition for Rulemaking to Clarify Relay Rules. Among other things, Purple asks the Commission to adopt formal rules “that confirm that the ADA permits the reimbursement of multi-party VRS calls, regardless of whether a hearing individual is on the call,” and to confirm the lawfulness of certain outreach and marketing practices." Now, what this mean is Purple is petitioning to clarify the rules made by FCC which it states, "that confirm that the ADA permits the reimbursement of multi-party VRS calls, regardless of whether a hearing individual is on the call," This was under the law under section 225 under Communication Acts.

I hope you understand the petition, if you don't then read it again, and read it closely, qwerty.

Imagine this scenario: If this continues with this new change with the new law in the future made by FCC, we might not have deaf to deaf calls anymore because of the new law which requires hearing to deaf call only (through VRS). What do you think FCC would do? Do you think FCC will stop deaf to deaf calls or deaf to deaf conference calls unless there will be hearing callers in the VP calls? What do you think what this will happen in the future? If it does comes true, then all of the deaf communities would have to make a TTY calls to deaf callers. That means every deaf person would have to bring out the old dinosaur TTY out of the attic or their closets to make a deaf call to a deaf person just because the "law" says they can't make deaf to deaf call on VP, only hearing to deaf call are allowed on all VP only. Imagine this going to happen to you? Do you think you would allow FCC telling you what to do on how you make your calls on VP or TTY? What you will think about this, huh?

Last edited:
No, qwerty, it not just dead. The feature cannot go on because FCC said NO unless hearing caller is involved in the conference calls then deaf callers would be forced to find a hearing person to start a conference calls which I find it is absurd and waste of their time to find a hearing caller

WOW, Qwerty simply refers to the MVP itself. Conference feature inside MVP unit is dead and non-functioning.

Do you know what this mean qwerty? It is a petition asking to clarify rules filed by Purple with FCC. This is why Kelby is working with them about this situation, seeking clarification from FCC. Now when you read down to the bottom of the petition, I will provide you part of the petition which it states, "Title IV of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), which added section 225 to the Communications Act of 1934, as amended, 1 requires common carriers offering telephone voice transmission services to provide telecommunications relay services (TRS) throughout their service areas. Telecommunications relay services are defined in the Communications Act as “services that provide the ability for an individual who has a hearing impairment or speech impairment to engage in communication by wire or radio with a hearing individual.” and there is another underneath the first petition it says, "On August 12, 2009, Purple Communications, Inc. (Purple) filed a Petition for Rulemaking to Clarify Relay Rules. Among other things, Purple asks the Commission to adopt formal rules “that confirm that the ADA permits the reimbursement of multi-party VRS calls, regardless of whether a hearing individual is on the call,” and to confirm the lawfulness of certain outreach and marketing practices." Now, what this mean is Purple is petitioning to clarify the rules made by FCC which it states, "that confirm that the ADA permits the reimbursement of multi-party VRS calls, regardless of whether a hearing individual is on the call," This was under the law under section 225 under Communication Acts.

you mean Purple abuse deaf deaf confrence calls for many months, earn millions from FCC then ask FCC to get approval for it, FCC/CGB say no, then ask FCC to reconsider? backward!

page 16-18 filed on 17 aug 2009

it is form of abuse

redwolf, good posting at http://www.purple.us/blog/2009/10/no-deaf-conference-calls/ see if Kelby post here in AD
still no public comment in FCC docket 03-123

Last edited:
Purple did not make it CLEAR why FCC have to reimburse them by using multi-party calls without HEARING person involved. Funds under TRS has to be RELAY related calls meaning (hearing to deaf, deaf to hearing). I think the Purple is barking up the wrong tree.

Redwolf... where did the section 255 says that the ADA requires the NECA to remburse *reading* nope... its all about making sure that all equipment are able to communicate with eachother

Multi-party that have all deaf callers, we have done that already... use the conference call through the webcam softwares *scratch head*

Purple... TELL ME why it has to be remburse through TRS while there is NO RELAY calls it doesn't make any sense in your filing at all. I agree what the FCC/CGB says. Hearing caller involved yes... no hearing caller NOPE.

you dead wrong ask any soresnon installer

In fact, I had asked one of Sorenson installer and direct to Sorenson themselves and was told that VP-200 does not support conference calls and I wonder where you get this information from. Have you used it.

Show us proof that it worked in Sorenson VP200 please

you dead wrong ask any soresnon installer

Okay, prove it to me then. Where is the conference call button on VP200?? Last time I checked, there was a new update for VP200 which it is a new video icon can be used for SignMail. But where the conference call? If I don't see it then you still dead wrong.

Deaf Aussie and Red Wolf... I believe Qwerty is stating that Sorenson does have conference calls, but using RELAY. Qwerty didn't say its in VP200. I can be wrong but I know right at this moment that VP200 doesn't have conference capability, maybe in the near future who knows.

So... Red Wolf... I await your response on the Section 255 of Communication Act.

Do you?

First of all, you have to be aware that there is a hell of an expensive to use a video conference to video conference and that's why a big companies like a million dollar companies. Now since you asked for it, here it is

First, you need a great or T1 connection $100 or up a month
Second, there is a lot of expensive video conference devices and hearing people are paying for it. Deaf people are FUCKING lucky to get video conference such as MVP for FREE which FCC paid for it. How did FCC get money coming from? It's TAXPAYERS which is US. Third, Bandwidth must be limited to around 384KB? What kind of weed are you smoking? 384kb cant handle up to 15 people in Video conference in a different states or countries and I think at least 20 mbps download and upload. Might be 5 or 10mbps. Correct me if I am wrong. Fourth and final, There are several video conferencing software and services available such as iVISIT, Breeze and Ilinc.com. They all offer services and higher quality that you will get from an instant messenger program and there is a price that comes with it.

I haven't tried ooVoo yet, but I did tried Camfrog. Camfrog did charge them premium membership if they wanted to have multiple screen show on screen. But if they are not premium member, then they are stuck with only one screen.

Camfrog is only for webcamming, but what about all VP? Is all VP that does only webcam as well? I don't know how they would make all VP into webcam but I believe VP are separate from webcam. I know people who already have P3 notebook already have webcam, but technology is different in some way. I am surprised in some way because they can work both webcam and all VP to work together.

Now, when it comes to video conferencing, this is going to be interesting scenario between Purple and FCC. All we have to do is wait and see how it ends. If FCC still says no, then we might not going to see video conferencing in any of your MVP after all. This would be pretty bad for all deaf business owners out there in the deaf communities. :(
I disagreed with this. It's not fair to hearing people because you can see to other deaf person via VIDEO.

First of all, you have to be aware that there is a hell of an expensive to use a video conference to video conference and that's why a big companies like a million dollar companies. Now since you asked for it, here it is

First, you need a great or T1 connection $100 or up a month
Second, there is a lot of expensive video conference devices and hearing people are paying for it. Deaf people are FUCKING lucky to get video conference such as MVP for FREE which FCC paid for it. How did FCC get money coming from? It's TAXPAYERS which is US. Third, Bandwidth must be limited to around 384KB? What kind of weed are you smoking? 384kb cant handle up to 15 people in Video conference in a different states or countries and I think at least 20 mbps download and upload. Might be 5 or 10mbps. Correct me if I am wrong. Fourth and final, There are several video conferencing software and services available such as iVISIT, Breeze and Ilinc.com. They all offer services and higher quality that you will get from an instant messenger program and there is a price that comes with it.

want to clarify with 'who paid' the MVP product, the money doesn't came from TRS fund to use the device. It Purple who use their money from investor that paid money and providing us to get one in order use their service earn minutes. It simple process, we use the relay because we have free device. Without free device, VRS won't success at first place. As today, it has become better develop while investor spending money on Sorenson project long time while other VRS develop the product.

Sorenson does have Video Conference, I has asked the Sorenson who is trainer. Trainer explain; it just Sorenson purpose but it is interesting.

As DefMATRIXense corrects about it but the fund spending the device, no? want clarify that one.

No,you are right. Now it does make sense and why purple is an anal over this issue because investors lent the purple a lot of money and they expected to get money back plus interests or some kind of agreement between the purple and the investors.

Back