Punishments for signing?

asongofhands

Reaction score
When sign language was banned as a result of the Milan Conference, what sorts of punishment were exacted on people who were caught signing? Sources?

Wasn't the Milan conference in the late 19th century-1880 /90s? Punishment for using signs- 4 lashes with a wet noodle. Plus of course a stern lecture-speak only!

Seems times has changed a bit since!

Wasn't the Milan conference in the late 19th century-1880 /90s? Punishment for using signs- 4 lashes with a wet noodle. Plus of course a stern lecture-speak only!

Seems times has changed a bit since!

LOL. It was more than a century ago, and thank goodness things have changed since then.

I've heard of students having mits placed on their hands, and getting their hands whipped by the teacher. My source is my teacher who was in school in the 50's and 60's.

Laws are now in place to support the use of sign language, and to protect students from such abuse.

Fortunately the world has changed somewhat for DEAF persons in this century such as Cochlear Implants-if suitable.
What will the next century bring?

Fortunately the world has changed somewhat for DEAF persons in this century such as Cochlear Implants-if suitable.
What will the next century bring?

Sound like you don't want Deaf people to sign ASL or sign language just because of CI. :ugh: I hate that hearing people keep trying to get us to hear like normal hearing people. It is not a miracle, for heaven's sake. It is still hard to pick the words up. That is why we need ASL or any sign language if live in different country. It is much easier to sign than try to lipread. :roll:

:wave:Bebonang: I have been bilateral DEAF since December 20, 2006. I am well aware that not all DEAF persons are "suitable for Cochlear Implants". I have mentioned before the experience of Sunnybrook/Toronto. Since 1984 have processed 3000 referred persons for consideration of Implants of which 950 were Implanted. Of that group only 18 didn't benefit. From a patients meeting last November.

As to the learning/using of ASL et al contingent on the person. Just like becoming "voice off" Your choice!

I agree with you that SpeechReading is very difficult from actual classes at Canadian Hearing Society/Toronto. ( part of Dealing/Coping with your Hearing Loss)

I've just studied the Milan Conference in my Deaf History class...

Milan Conference was 9-11 September 1880.

As for punishments for signers, I believed it varied from country to country from school to school and varied from stern lectures to corporal punishment.

My old classmate told me that his hands were whipped with a ruler by a nun many times before he was transferred from a Christian oral school to my deaf school around late 60s. It doesn't happen anymore because of the law, thank God.

Back