Puerto Rican Sign Language (PRSL)

BoricuaChevere

Reaction score
I want to learn Puerto Rican Sign Language (PRSL or PSL). How can I learn it? I'm up to Skype and Point-to-Point communication (VP or Mobile) in order for learning PRSL. I myself am PR and I think it is a shame that PR doesnt have its own sign language that is commonly used, unlike Mexico and other countries that do. I believe in supporting PRSL. So where can I learn this with someone. Like I said, the above method are prefer. Thank you, and hope you all can help me.:ty:

Is ASL used in Puerto Rico as well? Does PSL differ substantially from ASL?

Yes ASL is used in Puerto Rico, and the people I know there use ASL.

PSL is a derivative of ASL which has diverged somewhat over the years.

I think PRSL should deprive from ASL completely. I mean, c'mon, PR is already a territory. Something about PR should be independent.

There is no Puerto Rican Sign Language that I know of. Just either MSL and ASL. From what I meet most deaf in PR, all are use ASL.

No, I beg to differ. There is a Puerto Rican Sign Language most used on rural or scarcely populated areas. I've done my research

No, I beg to differ. There is a Puerto Rican Sign Language most used on rural or scarcely populated areas. I've done my research

Only thing I understood that most deaf in PR, they do not use finger-spell on something that there is no such a sign. They show in SL as describe on any object to mean. I thought that's fancy.

Necroposting

Hi.

If you look hard on YouTube there are a few; I favourited a video a while ago, showing parallel translations in PRSL, LSM, LSC and ASL.

Here are some songs translated into PRSL.
(Why is it that interpreters always pick the cheesiest songs to translate? I think it must be because—generally—interpreters are cheesy people.)

And here’s a Puerto Rican news broadcast; I’m not a great signer, so you tell me how much it differs from signing on the Mainland. Although it’s also possible they’re sticking to some kind of “standard” ASL not reflective of what people sign on the street.

caramelitopr on YouTube has uploaded some PRSL videos, which you can check out on her userpage.

Linguamón’s Casa das Linguas sez:
Despite the deaf community's efforts to establish Puerto Rican Sign Language as the country's main institutional sign language, American Sign Language is used to a much greater extent in schools and the media.

If I can be excused for quoting at length from the Summer Institute of Linguistics’ paper The Puerto Rican Deaf Community:

Although Puerto Rican Sign Language (PRSL) may have been present before the establishment of the first school and its use of Signed English and ASL, high amounts of contact with the deaf community in the United States and continued use of ASL in deaf schools have led to ASL being the majority sign language of Puerto Rico… only one of the interpreting agencies indicates offering PRSL interpretation. Although some form of PRSL may still be used in the less populated areas in the western and central parts of the country, it appears that ASL is poised to be the sole sign language of the Puerto Rican deaf community in the future. Some local sources who are familiar with PRSL and ASL indicate that they do not differ greatly and PRSL could be considered an ASL variety…

Of course, differing greatly or substantially is relative.

According to the Evangelical School for the Deaf administrator Betsy Hoke, the main differences between PRSL and ASL are in palm orientation and rate of signing. PRSL is signed more slowly and includes more repetition of signs than ASL.

You can see a comparison of vocabulary within a restricted field here, which puts the similarity of documented forms at 54%—which is interesting, because that’s only a slightly higher lexical similarity than listed for ASL and LSF. I wonder how much that’s based on whatever dialectical differences happened to make it into the dictionary, though, and if there are other, common signs for the same concepts that would be identical in Puerto Rico and the Lower 48.

This person would agree the Puerto Rico should have its own, distinct Deaf language. But as stated, ASL is dominant in urban areas, and will likely supplant PRSL entirely in the coming years.

This has been an issue, particularly where Peace Corps volunteers have
gone in to work with the Deaf. It's a combination of the volunteers not
learning the autochthonous SL, combined with the locals wanting to
learn a "better" SL.

Incidentally, I just read about Hawaiian “Pidgin” Sign being documented for the first time; it, too, is on the brink of death as it’s replaced by ASL.

I’d forgotten about this thread, and just ran across it right before I was about to post, but it’s probably the best single source of information about the nature of PRSL right now on the Web. This post includes some examples of PRSL signs.
[T]he ASL sign for funny, means "ugly" in PRSL. The sign for funny is made
with a flattened O, tapping on the nose.

I, too, was curious about this question and found some information in the Gallaudet Encyclopedia of Deaf People and Deafness, but it’s been a while. If I find anything new the next time I get get to the SFPL Deaf Services Center, I’ll post it here.

Personally, I've never done a signed song video, and have no desire to do one.

Most (if not all) the signed videos I've seen on Youtube were done by signers, not interpreters. I don't care to watch most of them because the songs are lame to begin with. Teens and love songs...:lol:

When I took my first ASL classes, we had to sign a song. I tried to weasel my way out of it but they wouldn't let me. They chose all sorts of schlocky sh.t like Tears in Heaven. Granted, TiH was a good song, but when it came out it was overplayed. You couldn't go anywhere without hearing it.

The song I chose? We Will Rock You by Queen.

Personally, I've never done a signed song video, and have no desire to do one.

Most (if not all) the signed videos I've seen on Youtube were done by signers, not interpreters. I don't care to watch most of them because the songs are lame to begin with. Teens and love songs...:lol:

think the same...cringing:lol:

Back