public VS private schools

FeistyChick

Reaction score
i was having a debate with my bf last night regarding this topic...

first of all, i don't know if this is a repost... if so, SORRY! :D

what are the PROS and CONS with public and private schools??? :hmm: i am interested in everyone's opinion...

(remember- there is NO RIGHT and NO WRONG!!! so BASHING OR DEGRADING OTHERS' OPINIONS IS FORBIDDEN IN HERE- ... but we can AGREE TO DISAGREE!!! :thumb: if you have NOTHING NICE TO SAY, keep it to yourself OR look elsewhere!

so guys, FIRE AWAY!!! :D

I went to private school all my life had to wear the uniform and all. Some strick rules and I turned out okay LOL.

I value the morals we practiced and learning about religion. Now, I am a christian its little different for me since attending catholic school through my years of schooling.

In general, private school is a good idea. My neices are in Montessori School advance education system at their own pace. It's pricy the results are great, they are both good communicators and doing well.

I prefer Christian schools because they support my beliefs.

I attended all public schools (1956-1969) in several different cities and states.

In recent years, I've worked in public schools.

My daughter attended public, home and Christian schools. She graduated from Christian high school.

I graduated from Public School. So, I don't know very much about private school but I know it's harder than public school, tho.

I think that their public schools are best for me. I has been already graduated from
the high school in 2003. I like public more than private, because,
there are no strict disciplines around in public schools this there.
I know, but not too much knowledge about it, :dunno: but I learned from my friend told me about private school aren't free, their parents would pay for his/her kid for those private schools; and more strict regulations of their private
schools. I think, maybe a teacher could punishing the kids with disciplines like--
the teacher using a ruler, hit at any student if it inappropriate behavior
in the school.

I graduated from public school, also I know that private school is more complicate than public school and their policies are strict than public school too.

For uniform policy, I did wear uniform at public school and it was in middle school but it's certain school except for all high school that don't have uniform policy, only at some elementary school and many middle school. When I started moved to high school for 9th grade and don't wear uniform anymore. It's true that several deaf school have uniform policy, most of them are in southeast but MSSD is used to had uniform policy but not anymore.

There's several private school in LA area that's non-religion, just general for all students that need meet their advanced education since most of students attend at public school.

Well I have no opinion over that pros and cons between public and private schools but against homeschool.

All what I want to say is:

Important is pick right place to live with good envirnoment where there're children-friendly and good school are around.

I compare the education skills between private and public school... They are almost same... I would send my boys to private school if all public school have poor envirnment.

Well..I know people who have sent their children to private schools. The pros and cons of private schools are:

Pros
less red tape
less political influence
teacher and student ratio is more balanced
more variety of classes offered to enchance students' interests

Cons
expensive
some rules are extremely strict and too restrictive for some children
less diversity among students

Public schools

Pros
Free
improved curriculm (depending on what state)
more variety of students for your child to meet

Cons
overcrowded classrooms
buildings are not up to standards (depending on the district or county)
political influence and red tape
standardized instruction...may not meet some students' needs

I am sure there are more but that is what I have learned from my aunts and some friends who have sent their children to the private schools

I have send my son to private school in the past then transfer him to public school.

For that reason is my exh cant afford send him to private school anymore but I am hopeful that I will be the one who will send him back to private school again.

One his attitude is so much nice and more respect at the private school then to the public school.

while he was at the public school I have seen his attitude change and his respect toward me.

I have heard him swearing up and down and being a jerk from time to time. His education have dropped then from the private school.

So there you have it.

I've been to both. Public and private. Also have been to various different schools. The conclusion? The only thing that matters is location because every place the people are different, might get lucky with one might strike out with the other. Private schools will be more open to specific needs while public won't.

Also I do need to note regardless of the school, I've always been the outcast. Go me. I did have a few friends that I hung out with and such, and that's all I ever really cared for. Oddly I didn't make too many friends at the public schools, the classes were smaller and I was exluded. It sucked. Yes.... it sucked bad come to think it I hated public schools... gag. Bad memories.

I attended public schools all my life, and my children are also in public school district too.

The differences between public schools and private, is that public schools are free, private schools they have to pay so much money a year, My hearing sister enrolled her daughter in private school and paid 1,000.00 a year, but also more expense while in school for different activities, and so much work, it was so hard for her daughter, so she withdraw her own daughter out and put her in public school district.

Private schools do teach religious, but not public schools, everyone has their own religious. But, I heard private schools have the most safe enirvonments but some public schools do have safe environments also, but it depends on the schools, if they are below of the best school in it's own state, then that means it's not really a safe environments or maybe because the teachers are lousy, or it's education or the children are horrible there it's depends on the reasons. ;)

And public schools admits all children even children's with special needs, like deaf, handicapped etc etc . But, private schools don't accept every child, it's depends on their test score. But, I also heard that private school's teachers don't required to have certification to teach, but public school's teachers are required to have a certification to teach.

I think it's important that parents make the best interested on which school they prefer for their own child. I prefer public schools. :)

I like private school but costly really quite expensive depend the range of cost where you're send your child boarding private school.

As far, con: Expensive to buy uniform clothes 2 or 3 clothes wear
Social: Less depend where location the private school.

Public School...
No worries everything less the problem costly nothing..
Just concern about the students effects bad things.. Depend where school location.

Hard to find RIGHT placed your child into the excellence education school area. There's no guaranteed!

Depend on area where you live - good environment place where it´s safe for the children to play outside of school. Its also depend on influence to everywhere in area where the children lead to.

A good environment and safety are important. But what's happening inside the school is even more important. If I had young kids now I wouldn't send them to public school, and I even live in the best public school district of my region.

Yes, Christian school isn't cheap. When we sent our daughter to Christian school we made lots of financial sacrifices. We had the oldest crummiest cars, we never took vacations, we shopped at Goodwill and yard sales for clothing, we ate lots of rice, etc. Hubby was active duty Navy, and worked a couple "moonlighting" jobs. I went to school full time (GI Bill) and worked part time. But it was worth it. :)

A good environment and safety are important. But what's happening inside the school is even more important.

Yes I second that. It´s not just outside of school but inside as well.

I guess it would depend on the schools.

Private schools usually have uniforms and strict rules. It's either their way or the highway. They're difficult to sue since they are a private institution.

Public school have to be fair with everyone and aren't as strict as they should be. But that is changing due to the bullshit lawsuits.

I grew up in public school. I never really had problems, except with some deaf education teachers being degrading. But, my parents helped me through. That's why I did well. :)

Thanks FeistyChick for bringing this to my attention. I see some great pros and cons for both private and public schools.

As you know that my 3 year old daughter just had been accepted to Public Preschool and will start next week for 2 days a week. I'm putting her there because I love the environment and so is my daughter. She felt right at home in that school as compared to private preschool. It wouldn't matter for a 3 year old, but it would matter once she starts either elementary or junior high school. I don't have any problem if you took your 3 year old child to private school. It all just depends on the child and the surroundings. It's all about choices and I think that's wonderful, too. :)

Back