PSYCHOLOGY vs. THE BIBLE

Status
Not open for further replies.
MorriganTait said:
You know, I don't hear psychologists, psychiatrists or other mental health professionals counselling people that they can't receive psychological therapy and remain religious. Psychology and Religion are not mutually exclusive. It's only religious extremists who claim this. I really don't see what they think they are protecting unless they don't want a good psychologist to expose a bunch of their BS brainwashing.

I agree, especially with the recent Tom Cruise / Katie Holmes pregnacy thing -- it was reported that Katie had to suffer a "silent' birthing with no medication and no medical assistance beyond what Scientology considers "medical assistance."

Rose Immortal said:
Reba--I'm just trying to understand this, but do you feel that there IS a place for psychologists? I'm having a hard time telling from your posts whether you're against certain psychologists or the field as a whole.
I'm not against psychologists. I'm "against" substituting the philosophy of psychology for the principles of the Bible. Too many people turn to and depend on psychology to solve their spiritual problems, instead of turning to and depending on God.

Psychology and psychiatry have their place. But too many times people seek non-biblical counselling for guilt and non-medical depression instead of confronting and dealing with their sins and seeking full forgiveness and relief from guilt thru Jesus.

I do not, however, believe in the far-fetched stuff like Freud. He's only right about one thing: that sometimes we're affected by things we don't realize consciously. But he's wrong about the perverse specifics he suggests.
Same here. I thought most psychologists had gotten beyond that track in the past 60 years or so.

Reba said:
I'm not against psychologists. I'm "against" substituting the philosophy of psychology for the principles of the Bible. Too many people turn to and depend on psychology to solve their spiritual problems, instead of turning to and depending on God.

Psychology and psychiatry have their place. But too many times people seek non-biblical counselling for guilt and non-medical depression instead of confronting and dealing with their sins and seeking full forgiveness and relief from guilt thru Jesus.

I do think they can be a good starting place, though...I mean, don't you think it's good to get chemical depression ruled out, for instance, if something's going on?

One time (and please don't anybody look down on me for this) I saw a behavioral therapist for help in dealing with what was essentially a bad habit that had become too much. I had been praying a lot about the matter, but I still feel that the coping techniques the therapist gave me WERE part of the solution. The spiritual was one part, but so was the practical.

Dennis said:
I agree, especially with the recent Tom Cruise / Katie Holmes pregnacy thing -- it was reported that Katie had to suffer a "silent' birthing with no medication and no medical assistance beyond what Scientology considers "medical assistance."

She was given Epurial ( spellin' ?? ) at her request.

Reba said:
The reason I say you are not neutral is because you say that you believe in Psychology. That is a belief. If you were truly neutral you wouldn't take sides. You are taking the side of psychology vs. the Bible. You favor psychology over the Bible.

Psychology is not a neutral belief. Psychology possesses distinctive qualities.

If you want to believe in psychology, that's your right. Just honestly admit that it is not a neutral belief.

Anything that is a belief is NOT neutral. Neutral means "I don't believe (or support) psychology or the Bible; I'm not taking sides."

It doesn´t mean that I favor Psychology over Bible but support psychology because I feel psychology is one for me, that´s exactly how you feel for your beleif. I didn´t say anything against your belief but neutral.

Remember, Psychology has nothing do with God and beliefs.

Dannie said:
Google CCHR, the Citizen's Commission of Human Rights.
This organization is an offshoot of the Church of Scientology. The last time I did much research on them, they really didn't have much hard science on thier side.

Dannie said:
They have tons of stuff against Psychologists, who number one treat humans like their animals, and not created from spirit or have a spiritual being.
While there are people in the mental health field who have not always cared for patients with dignity and respect, this has not, by-and-large, my experience with professionals in this field. I have met many who were caring, committed, spiritual people, and wanted nothing but the best for their patients, some of who were gravely ill, violent, delusional, etc.

Dannie said:
Two, if people did have a mental illness - why don't they talk about clearing the aura's or spiritual illnesses, or prescribe yoga and do the Emotional Freedom Technique or Qigong.
Many people in the mental health field do discuss and recommend alternative therapies. Keep in mind, many therapies such as clearing auras are not generally accepted as medicall efficacious, nor are they all accepted by the general public, so it seems at best a bit unfair to expect mental health providers to promote therapies for which there is little medical evidence to support their effectiveness.

Dannie said:
MEDICAL RESEARCHERS KNOW THAT ALL SSRI'S HAVE HAZARDOUS AND DISABILITATING SIDE EFFECTS
(cchr)
Yes, ALL medications have some risk and some side effects. With the advent of SSRI's, many people finally had a choice for the treatment of depression, bi-polar, social anxiety disorder and OCD without having to rely on less effective, more sedating medications. Prior to the advent of this class of medications, there were few options for sufferers of major depression - opiates and shock-treatments among them. Frankly, I'll take the side effects if it's the choice between suffering mind bending depression and feeling functional.

Rose Immortal said:
One time (and please don't anybody look down on me for this) I saw a behavioral therapist for help in dealing with what was essentially a bad habit that had become too much.
Good for you for doing this. I applaud you for doing what is right for you even if other people might not approve.

Rose Immortal said:
I do think they can be a good starting place, though...I mean, don't you think it's good to get chemical depression ruled out, for instance, if something's going on?
Yes. That's why I said "non-medical depression", meaning depression that is not the result of a chemical imbalance. I should have been more clear (sorry about that). All medical reasons (chemical/hormonal imbalances, poor nutrition, medicine side effects, etc.) should be first ruled out with a thorough physical exam.

CyberRed said:
I don't believe in psychology stuff. Sorry to say. :)
The psychology is a mental function; it is a human interest rathar than spiritual function.

Askjo said:
The psychology is a mental function; it is a human interest rathar than spiritual function.

You are correct. It's why I mentioned that I don't believe in psychology thing. Jesus is my psychologist for spiritual thing through the heart, not the mind. :)

Dennis said:

For your information, Scientology has nothing do with psychology. I born to 2 children without use drugs. It doesn't mean that I'm a Scientologtist because I reject many mediciations. We work on my ADD son without use medication.

Scientology is one of many religions.

Dannie, your link is not work.

Depend on humans who have different mind and feeling. It's not just medications. They can also work on humans without use medications.

I don't depend on medications but exercise etc.

Askjo said:

Huh? Psychologist focus/studies behavior and experience to help people's self-esteem/self-confidence.

CyberRed said:
You are correct. It's why I mentioned that I don't believe in psychology thing. Jesus is my psychologist for spiritual thing through the heart, not the mind. :)

You got me curious.

What Jesus say about you?

Did the bible (book) know you?

CyberRed said:
I don't believe in psychology stuff. Sorry to say. :)
I wonder if that would change if you had a family member or friend who suffered bi-polar, schizophrenia, borderline personality disorder or some other form of severe pshychosis. Or would you just say they were filled with demons?

Liebling:-))) said:
We work on my ADD son without use medication.

While I think there are some kids who are so severely ADD that they do need medications and counseling, I congratulate you for taking on this challenge. You've chosen a way that takes a lot more work but I think it can be very rewarding in terms of the character your son will build as he works through his challenges. I can tell you personally that with your hard work, and your son's work if you teach him so he wants to rise to the challenge, that he can succeed.

I know this because I have ADHD and was raised without any medications. My parents spent a LOT of time with me and also took me to counselors who helped in teaching me coping skills. They did not have to do this, but they did. Unless my last semester of graduate school makes me take back this statement (I hope not!), I can tell you that I have never received less than a "B" for any course I've had in my entire academic career. I'm not saying this to brag about my grades but to let you know personally what is possible for your son. A LOT of ADHD kids are very intelligent and I'll bet your son is, too. :)

MT--Do you think it's possible that both demons and physiological mental illnesses exist? I'm beginning to suspect that both can and do. It's well known that the mind and body interact, so I think it could well be.

Rose Immortal said:
While I think there are some kids who are so severely ADD that they do need medications and counseling, I congratulate you for taking on this challenge. You've chosen a way that takes a lot more work but I think it can be very rewarding in terms of the character your son will build as he works through his challenges. I can tell you personally that with your hard work, and your son's work if you teach him so he wants to rise to the challenge, that he can succeed.

I know this because I have ADHD and was raised without any medications. My parents spent a LOT of time with me and also took me to counselors who helped in teaching me coping skills. They did not have to do this, but they did. Unless my last semester of graduate school makes me take back this statement (I hope not!), I can tell you that I have never received less than a "B" for any course I've had in my entire academic career. I'm not saying this to brag about my grades but to let you know personally what is possible for your son. A LOT of ADHD kids are very intelligent and I'll bet your son is, too. :)

Yes I has to agree with you that it´s work hard with a child without use any medications and intelligent. Yes, my son is very intelligent.

I tried to find English word for therapy but I can´t find word to translate into English. German: Ergotherapie & Logopädie... I hope you find English for those German word. Anyway I accompanied my eldest son to Ergotherapie & Logopädie for over 2 years... I learn a lot from Psychologist´s tips how to change the diet for my son and exercise etc. We work on my son without medication for over 2 years... Danny tried medication once but it doesn´t work on him. Execrise is work well... Danny is 13 years old now and ADS behavior didn´t show much.

I´m scared that medication could lead addiction. Some of Psyhologist don´t like medication but they have to if the chíldren´s behavior are severe.

MT--Do you think it's possible that both demons and physiological mental illnesses exist? I'm beginning to suspect that both can and do. It's well known that the mind and body interact, so I think it could well be

Mental illnesses yes but Demon?

MorriganTait said:
I wonder if that would change if you had a family member or friend who suffered bi-polar, schizophrenia, borderline personality disorder or some other form of severe pshychosis. Or would you just say they were filled with demons?

I believe that it does exist. History repeats itself since God created Adam and Eve. Demons don't have any healthy mind. Jesus/God have very pure mind and that's healthy ! :)

CyberRed said:
I believe that it does exist. History repeats itself since God created Adam and Eve. Demons don't have any healthy mind. Jesus/God have very pure mind and that's healthy ! :)
We need healthy mind thru our Savior Jesus Christ. :ily:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back