Psycho-social issues

Well, I don't think that majority of parents of d/Deaf Swedes knew sign either when their child was first dx'd. I wonder if they made commitment to sign as opposed to American hearing parents who rarely ever learn enough signs to communicate with their deaf child.

I think you're right about support for Bi-Bi in this country though.

I'd say they are in a position to more easily make a committment because the government has programs in place to support that committment.

yes as I am sure the gov't pays the parents to learn ASL, versus over here its optional but the majority would find it morally wrong if you did not make the effort to learn to communicate with your child beyond basic signs, but the truth is many hearing parents of deaf children do exactly this. It's a shame really.

yes as I am sure the gov't pays the parents to learn ASL, versus over here its optional but the majority would find it morally wrong if you did not make the effort to learn to communicate with your child beyond basic signs, but the truth is many hearing parents of deaf children do exactly this. It's a shame really.

But the majority of deaf children do not use ASL, so why would the parents learn it?

But the majority of deaf children do not use ASL, so why would the parents learn it?

The majority of deaf children don't use ASL as result of the parents' refusal to learn it, or to allow their children to use it. You are reversing the chain of events. Doesn't work.

And, it can also be said that the majority of deaf children experience psycho-social problems based on ineffective communication, which is directly tied to the family of origin.

The majority of deaf children don't use ASL as result of the parents' refusal to learn it, or to allow their children to use it. You are reversing the chain of events. Doesn't work.

And, it can also be said that the majority of deaf children experience psycho-social problems based on ineffective communication, which is directly tied to the family of origin.

Dixie said that parents don't learn "beyond basic signs to communicate with their child".

Why would they need to if their child doesn't sign?

Before reading this and other info, I honestly thought my hoh had nothing to with the isolation I felt in school. I thought it was just me.

Dixie said that parents don't learn "beyond basic signs to communicate with their child".

I thought the point was if parents used more than basic sign so would kids.

How would they know if they never learn beyond the basics? It could just as easily be that the child has advanced past the parents' fluency, and has stopped using sign with the parent because they get tired of having one and two word conversations.

You seem to be ignoring the question of why the child doesn't sign.

No, it is not that. It is the unwillingness to take the time to learn it. Almost all of my deaf friends use ASL and I would say at least 90% of their parents don't know more than just the basics in ASL including my own mom.

Before reading this and other info, I honestly thought my hoh had nothing to with the isolation I felt in school. I thought it was just me.

Too many people are led to believe that. Isn't it nice to know that it wasn't?

No, it is not that. It is the unwillingness to take the time to learn it. Almost all of my deaf friends use ASL and I would say at least 90% of their parents don't know more than just the basics in ASL including my own mom.

Right. And my answer to the question of "why would the parents learn it" to always be the same. To improve and enhance communication and sharing between yourself and your child.

But if you never learned ASL, why would they learn it?

There is an assumption that all deaf children use ASL (or grow up and use it)and their parents don't know it. The truth is that a very small minority of people with a hearing loss use ASL.

There is an assumption that all deaf children use ASL (or grow up and use it)and their parents don't know it. The truth is that a very small minority of people with a hearing loss use ASL.

I've never seen anyone make that assumption.:shock: If that were the assumption, we would not be arguing against oral only educational placements.

The vast majority do grow up and not only learn ASL, but integrate into the deaf community that has been denied them.

And the answer to your question is, the child would have learned it if the parent had learned it, or even offered it as an option.

Is that really true? I could see that the majority of those included in hearing loss statistics are those that are just hard-of-hearing, especially the elderly. But I would have thought the majority of those with at least a severe or profound hearing loss, like mine, use ASL.

Is that really true? I could see that the majority of those included in hearing loss statistics are those that are just hard-of-hearing, especially the elderly. But I would have thought the majority of those with at least a severe or profound hearing loss, like mine, use ASL.

Your conclusion is correct, AlleyCat.

I've never seen anyone make that assumption.:shock: If that were the assumption, we would not be arguing against oral only educational placements.

The vast majority do grow up and not only learn ASL, but integrate into the deaf community that has been denied them.
And the answer to your question is, the child would have learned it if the parent had learned it, or even offered it as an option.

31 million people have hearing loss, 500,000 use ASL.

Better Hearing and Speech Month 2009

Too many people are led to believe that. Isn't it nice to know that it wasn't?

I dont know. The whole thing upsets me because the negative experience changed me for the worse. I go into school an outgoing extrovert and come out timid intravert.

I dont know. The whole thing upsets me because the negative experience changed me for the worse. I go into school an outgoing extrovert and come out timid intravert.

And you have a right to be upset. But at least you know that it wasn't the result of anything you did to bring it on.

Gonna have to break it down a bit further to argue the point that AlleyCat and I were making.

And use a source other than a CI website if you want to have any credibility in your attempt to do so. Especially not one that uses A.G. Bell as a reference.

You show me that "the vast majority" of people with a hearing loss use ASL.

Back