PSE vs ASL VS SEE examples

HelloNurse

Reaction score
Hey, I've been doing some reading up on PSE for class, and i am debating on doing my presentation on explaining the difference between ASL/PSE/SEE.. I've noticed a lot of my class tends to lean towards SEE. None of them really take the time to spend any time in the Deaf community besides the 6 madatory hours we need to write our papers (and even then, they just pretty much say "hi my name is ___, please sign my paper."), so they dont really know any better I guess. They basically learn the vocab and put it in English word order (very slwoly and shakily i might add.. haha). I have become almost the teacher's helper, when they are having trouble understanding her, or conveying what they want to her they sometimes will ask me to help them out with how to say it, or sometimes the teacher will ask me to voice what shes saying if no one else knows whats happening..

(I still get a lot of this:
classmate: how do you say "are"
me: why? what are you trying to say?
classmate: i want to ask her "are you going to happy hour on friday?" me: *signing* "Friday you go happy hour?"*eye brows up questioney face* :lol:

classmate: *concerned face* no, but how do you say "are".
me:*facepalm shakey head* )

im not saying im any kind of expert in ASL.. im not even remotely impressive or anything.. but I give a good effort, and i can get across my meaning decently to my Deaf friends. :aw: I am pretty sure most of the time I am using PSE.. I am trying really hard to get comfortable with ASL grammar, but I know its not going to be second nature to me for a while..

so anyway, could anyone just give me an example of a sentence shown in SEE, PSE, and ASL word order so I can be a little more clear on the differences. I think it would help to do my project on this subject and maybe help my classmates (and myself) understand ASL word order and grammar a little better.

:wave:this is my GUESS to learn....not trying to step on anyone's toes here and I would like to know any corrections - but I came in here to see if someone could improve my thought on this question by OP:

sentence English - "are you going to happy hour on Friday?"

SEE= are you going to happy hour <fingerspelled> on Friday?

PSE= Friday H-A-P-P-Y H-O-U-R you go? <with facial grammar>

ASL= Friday H-A-P-P-Y H-O-U-R you? <with facial grammar>
could pronoun be left off, if one-on-one - use indexing?

1) English: The boy is deaf.
1) PSE: boy deaf (nod)
1) ASL: boy (point) deaf (nod)

2) English: My mother is hard-of-hearing.
2) PSE: my mother hard-of-hearing
2) ASL: my mother (point) hard-of-hearing

3) English: Please come and sit down.
3) PSE: please come sit
3) ASL: please you-come (point “here”) sit

4) English: Don’t sit on the table.
4) PSE: (shake head) sit table
4) ASL: table (palm down) you (shake head) sit (on the hand)

5) English: The mother, father & children sign.
5) PSE: mother father children (nod) sign
5) ASL: 1 mother 2 father 3 children (nod) sign

6) English: The door is green.
6) PSE: door green
6) ASL door (point) green

7) English: The baby is deaf.
7) PSE: baby (nod) deaf
7) ASL: baby (point) (nod) deaf

8) English: The child stands there.
8) PSE: child stand (point where)
8) ASL: child (point) stand (point where)

9) English: That girl’s name sign is (“O” on chest).
9) PSE: (point) girl name sign (“O” on chest)
9) ASL: girl (point) name sign (“O” on chest)

10) English: We (two) are deaf; she is hearing.
10) PSE: we-two deaf (point) hearing
10) ASL: we-two deaf (point) hearing

11) English: Please sign your name.
11) PSE: please sign your name
11) ASL: please your name sign

12) English: No, she is not my mother.
12) PSE: (shake head) (point) my mother
12) ASL: (shake head) (point) my mother

13) English: Boys sit there; girls sit there.
13) PSE: boy sit (point left) girl sit (point right)
13) ASL: boy sit (point left) girl sit (point right)

14) English: Sit in the blue chair.
14) PSE: sit (point) blue chair
14) ASL: chair blue (point there) (you) sit

15) English: Stand by the orange table.
15) PSE: stand (point) orange table
15) ASL: table orange (palm down there) (you) stand (there)

1) English: The boy is deaf.
1) PSE: boy deaf (nod)
1) ASL: boy (point) deaf (nod)

2) English: My mother is hard-of-hearing.
2) PSE: my mother hard-of-hearing
2) ASL: my mother (point) hard-of-hearing

3) English: Please come and sit down.
3) PSE: please come sit
3) ASL: please you-come (point “here”) sit

4) English: Don’t sit on the table.
4) PSE: (shake head) sit table
4) ASL: table (palm down) you (shake head) sit (on the hand)

5) English: The mother, father & children sign.
5) PSE: mother father children (nod) sign
5) ASL: 1 mother 2 father 3 children (nod) sign

6) English: The door is green.
6) PSE: door green
6) ASL door (point) green

7) English: The baby is deaf.
7) PSE: baby (nod) deaf
7) ASL: baby (point) (nod) deaf

8) English: The child stands there.
8) PSE: child stand (point where)
8) ASL: child (point) stand (point where)

9) English: That girl’s name sign is (“O” on chest).
9) PSE: (point) girl name sign (“O” on chest)
9) ASL: girl (point) name sign (“O” on chest)

10) English: We (two) are deaf; she is hearing.
10) PSE: we-two deaf (point) hearing
10) ASL: we-two deaf (point) hearing

11) English: Please sign your name.
11) PSE: please sign your name
11) ASL: please your name sign

12) English: No, she is not my mother.
12) PSE: (shake head) (point) my mother
12) ASL: (shake head) (point) my mother

13) English: Boys sit there; girls sit there.
13) PSE: boy sit (point left) girl sit (point right)
13) ASL: boy sit (point left) girl sit (point right)

14) English: Sit in the blue chair.
14) PSE: sit (point) blue chair
14) ASL: chair blue (point there) (you) sit

15) English: Stand by the orange table.
15) PSE: stand (point) orange table
15) ASL: table orange (palm down there) (you) stand (there)

Wow, thank you so much, that was very helpful. :ty::ty::ty:

and you have helped verify that i indeed am almost always using PSE. :lol: im working on it!

*twitch* yeah.... my head hurts now lol. i sign almost exclusivley in PSE. thats why im so excited to get into ASL classes. the majority of my sign was self taught from being in a 10mo relationship with a hoh girl. i use asl signs in english word order. for the most part everyone can understand me and coomunication goes fine, but i want it to be more than that. for one, i want to be an interpereter. and also i want to respect ASL as a language and be able to have a more fluid conversation.
Birthday message to my friend the other day (please excuse my absolute cheesy-ness, it was the only way I could be brave enough to record it and put it on facebook lol)

I guess there was a teacher for the elementary deaf-ed in my town like 10 years ago and the current teacher went to observe the class. She said she was really confused and couldnt understand anything the teacher was saying. When she asked the kids to sit on the carpet she signed "car" and "pet". And for behavior she signed "B" "have" "your". Those are the only two I can remember right now. I laughed when I heard the story because I was like huh!?!? But really I feel bad for those kids!

*twitch* yeah.... my head hurts now lol. i sign almost exclusivley in PSE. thats why im so excited to get into ASL classes. the majority of my sign was self taught from being in a 10mo relationship with a hoh girl. i use asl signs in english word order. for the most part everyone can understand me and coomunication goes fine, but i want it to be more than that. for one, i want to be an interpereter. and also i want to respect ASL as a language and be able to have a more fluid conversation.
Birthday message to my friend the other day (please excuse my absolute cheesy-ness, it was the only way I could be brave enough to record it and put it on facebook lol)

YouTube - Happy Birthday Sunshine

hey your signing is pretty good.. i understood you! lol.. yeah its going to take me some time to be able to differentiate between asl and pse when i see people signing, but oh well, ill get there one day...

funny story, i went to a meeting for the local deaf and HOH services board and they had a terp there, and she was terrible. she signed hot dog as "hot" and "dog" lol. among other things, but it was weird.. i thought it was just me, but i turned to a deaf person and said "did she really just sign "hot dog" like that and laughed, and they were like, "yeah shes not a good interpreter, i dont know how she got certified, id rather just read peoples lips"

i also found it strange that most of the DHHS board members were hearing. shouldnt they be deaf/hoh?

:wave:this is my GUESS to learn....not trying to step on anyone's toes here and I would like to know any corrections - but I came in here to see if someone could improve my thought on this question by OP:

sentence English - "are you going to happy hour on Friday?"

SEE= are you going to happy hour <fingerspelled> on Friday?

PSE= Friday H-A-P-P-Y H-O-U-R you go? <with facial grammar>

ASL= Friday H-A-P-P-Y H-O-U-R you? <with facial grammar>
could pronoun be left off, if one-on-one - use indexing?

why do you spell out happy hour? i just sign "happy" and "hour".. so do all of my deaf friends that i know of.. i try to only fs brand names, names, or cities etc.. unless i dont know a sign then i fs and ask what the sign is. meh.

I sooooooooo HATE SEE and here is why..

I was chatting with some of my clients who are high functioning but cant drive while I was at work today. they kept talking about a bowl and I had no idea what it was in reference to. They kept signing S-U-P-E-R "bowl" the sign for a bowl as in a dish. I kept thinking they must be talking about a big bowl So one of them asked me about it and I was like "I have no idea what kind of bowl you are talking about but I can take you shopping to find this super bowl." My mind was in ASL mode, not English so it didnt click. They were like "Why do we need to go to the store for super bowl?" After 15 minutes of haggling with them about going to the store, it finally clicked that they were talking about the football game. Oh f**** this SEE shit! So I taught them the appropriate way to sign Super Bowl.

They were thrilled with the appropriate ASL sign for it.

MY GOD SEE is just stupid! No offense to those who use it. Whoever invented it really screwed up some languages there.

I don't know asl at all, but I would have though super bowl at this time of year would be a common mistake. I know learning our sign language it is often easier to fingerspell the whole word but as an example I thought I could could sign early morning meal as "break" "fast". I was then taught the proper sign but it got the message across.

funny, i actually was talking to someone about the superbowl and he said "football s-u-p-e-r bowl" (using the sign for bowl).. i got what he was saying.. i dont know the official sign for superbowl anyway, lol so that worked for me.

is signing "facebook" as the sign for FACE and BOOK considered SEE? i do that all the time. :naughty:

funny, i actually was talking to someone about the superbowl and he said "football s-u-p-e-r bowl" (using the sign for bowl).. i got what he was saying.. i dont know the official sign for superbowl anyway, lol so that worked for me.

is signing "facebook" as the sign for FACE and BOOK considered SEE? i do that all the time. :naughty:

For here in MD, it is "S-B"

In some other places, they fingerspell it out.

NEVER use the sign for bowl when identifying Super Bowl. It is sooo annoying! lol

Around here some people use B handshapes at the side of your face (like your face is in a book). Personally the sign drives me nuts, so a lot of us juse use F-B.

Around here some people use B handshapes at the side of your face (like your face is in a book). Personally the sign drives me nuts, so a lot of us juse use F-B.

I hate that sign too! It doesn't make sense at all. It looks like one is chewing tabacco. I sign F-B too.

Signing "FACE" for one's face and "BOOK" for an actual book is SEE and very lingusitically confusing. No wonder SEE is rebundant.

For here in MD, it is "S-B"

In some other places, they fingerspell it out.

NEVER use the sign for bowl when identifying Super Bowl. It is sooo annoying! lol

Or even use the bowl as a helmet. Groannn... :lol:

Wirelessly posted

Deleted

Last edited:
I think these two YouTube videos show the difference pretty well:

The second one is in CASE, which, as far as I can see, is pretty similar to the "PSE" I see around here. (Oops! Didn't realize the videos would show up the way they did!)

I want to get better at ASL, but I tend to gravitate toward PSE as well. I try my hardest to do ASL word order, but I usually have problems doing it, and there's no one here I can practice with to get better. Though that might change once I FINALLY meet with my Senior Project mentor (a Deaf Ed. teacher who, as far as I know, uses ASL).

I think these two YouTube videos show the difference pretty well:

YouTube - Part Of Your World ASL
YouTube - Part Of Your World CASE

The second one is in CASE, which, as far as I can see, is pretty similar to the "PSE" I see around here. (Oops! Didn't realize the videos would show up the way they did!)

I want to get better at ASL, but I tend to gravitate toward PSE as well. I try my hardest to do ASL word order, but I usually have problems doing it, and there's no one here I can practice with to get better. Though that might change once I FINALLY meet with my Senior Project mentor (a Deaf Ed. teacher who, as far as I know, uses ASL).

thanks! its so hard for me to tell the difference! i have a good amount of Deaf friends now, but they do not correct me when i am signing PSE, because they get the gist of what i am saying anyway, and they know i am still learning. ive also read that many Deaf people will switch to PSE when signing with hearing people to make it easier on us :aw:.. im going to ask my friends about this tonight. lol

Back