PSE or ASL?

Madi

Reaction score
Hi,
I want to write a speech for my speech and debate class. It's going to be an informative speech about deaf culture. I would like to sign while I give the speech, but I realize asl grammar is different than english grammar. And I am not fluent enough to translate everything to asl while I speak. If i signed PSE would that be correct?

I forget, are you a high school student who takes ASL classes right?? my niece took ASL classes when she was 15 too. CUrious, what made you to pick out PSE and ASL? did teacher give you?? because not too many people know about PSE. :)

I am more of ASL user, than PSE, it depends on who people are, for example, someone who just learn ASL. I go back to PSE.

Hi,
I want to write a speech for my speech and debate class. It's going to be an informative speech about deaf culture. I would like to sign while I give the speech, but I realize asl grammar is different than english grammar. And I am not fluent enough to translate everything to asl while I speak. If i signed PSE would that be correct?

Why not request an interpreter to interpret what you're signing in ASL for that class?

Ok thank you! :lol: If you were giving a speech about deaf culture to hearing people what would you want them to learn about deaf culture. and Yes, I am in high school, and I take asl classes at Framingham Learning Center in Massachusetts. My teacher has talked about PSE in class before. and I have seen some people use PSE when translating songs.

Please for the love of God don't butcher ASL. You wouldn't butcher English. Please treat ASL with the same amount of respect. :)

Why not request an interpreter to interpret what you're signing in ASL for that class?

That actually is a great idea! I will have to ask if I would be allowed to do that.:lol: I would never butcher it. I think asl is a beautiful language!

That actually is a great idea! I will have to ask if I would be allowed to do that.:lol: I would never butcher it. I think asl is a beautiful language!

allowed? no no. it's not the question of if it's allowed or not. it's your right. your school is required to provide one upon request.

Well I'm hearing and also homeschooled :) so they are not required to provide me with one. I just am thinking about giving a speech about deaf culture because I love how close the community is and I think it is misunderstood by many other hearing people.

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

Well I'm hearing and also homeschooled :) so they are not required to provide me with one. I just am thinking about giving a speech about deaf culture because I love how close the community is and I think it is misunderstood by many other hearing people.

oh... now that's a different story... well then - yea I guess you can ask and hope they'll provide one.

allowed? no no. it's not the question of if it's allowed or not. it's your right. your school is required to provide one upon request.

I am not so sure you are right. The way I understand it she is hearing and in a hearing school. She has learned ASL from other classes taken at a deaf school on the side. Now she wants to explain more about ASL and deaf culture in a speech to hearing classmates.

Edit:
From what Madi wrote while I was writing I think I got it right!

I am not so sure you are right. The way I understand it she is hearing and in a hearing school. She has learned ASL from other classes taken at a deaf school on the side. Now she wants to explain more about ASL and deaf culture in a speech to hearing classmates.

Yes that is exactly correct! :)

Edit:
From what Madi wrote while I was writing I think I got it right!

Do you agree about the ignorance of hearing people? And do you think it would add value to explain what I know of deaf culture?

Please for the love of God don't butcher ASL. You wouldn't butcher English.

Oh man I wish this was true. I read a paper last year from a seventeen year old hearing girl (English was her first language) that went something like this:

It wus bout that thing he did when he went 2 that prison and nocked rock together then wuz let out then they let him b pressident be cos he wus black and it was southern part of the africa country.

A history of Nelson Mandala, Texas public school system version. I wasn't sure if I should laugh or cry.

Back