Prototype Affordable Braille Display

Okay. :fruit:

When the prototype comes out it'll be announced on Drobe, as well as my own site (pachydermia.com) and I'd love to get contact from potencial testers---especially from the states. Maybe I'll hear from some of you again then.

Have a pleasant and possibly chocolatey Easter.

What I'd really be interested in is an affordable braille note taker. Small, that can be used with face to face programmes and also Global Positioning devices.
I've already got a braille display.

When people design these things it's also important to make them durable as a lot of braille displays aren't just pricy. They are quite fragile too.

Now that you mentioned the word "fragile," I did a Google search and came up with this:
Low Cost Braille

I did not know they are very fragile until I read the article.

Update:
About the affordable note takers, I thought it might be interesting to just take the netbook (8.9" ones), take the screen out, including the touchpad, and place the braille display right in the netbook. Then, I'd put Ubuntu in it and run Orca screen reader upon startup. That way, you could have a Linux notetaker! Perhaps it will bring down to $500-$600 or so? But if the netbook only has 4 braille cells, I think that should bring down to $400-$450, but I could be wrong.

But don't be so excited -- this is just my idea.

I have finished with a proof of concept multi line display. It works -5 lines 20 characters per line. (600dots) . I can assure you that it will be very affordable when complete.

I have posted some video with some audio here and there explaining the device.
Check YouTube - pgdsouza's Channel

I will need to develop software - need some suggestions and advice as to how to go about this. The display element is mechanical.

Let me know what features you would like - apart from the display. I am starting with a 5 line 80 cell per line note taker / reader. The technology is scalable and a full page device is possible without much problems. I just need to get through the field trials with a smaller device.

Regards,
Paul D'Souza

Mr. Rogers,

I am including this post to you too. Need some software advice.

I have finished with a proof of concept multi line display. It works -5 lines 20 characters per line. (600dots) . I can assure you that it will be very affordable when complete.

I will need to develop software - need some suggestions and advice as to how to go about this. The display element is mechanical.

Let me know what features you would like - apart from the display. I am starting with a 5 line 80 cell per line note taker / reader. The technology is scalable and a full page device is possible without much problems. I just need to get through the field trials with a smaller device.

Regards,
Paul D'Souza

Sweet! :D I am looking intro Braille displays right now but keep getting turned off by the steep pricing. It'd be great to be able to "see" more than 18-20 characters on a screen at a time. (There are 32 and 40 cell displays but they run at about 10 grand.)

Man I hope this project keeps going...and I hope they come out with a BrailleNote with the same technology!

:fingersx:

Mr. Rogers,

I am including this post to you too. Need some software advice.

Regards,
Paul D'Souza

Can you provide a transcript or brief description of some of your videos? A lot of us here that are interested in the braille display are deafblind or blind/hard-of-hearing. Thanks. :ty:

Mr D'Souza

Dear Mr D'Souza,

I'm sorry for taking such I long time to get back to you. I'm afraid I hadn't checked the thread for some months.

You machine is quite remarkable. Congratulations! I have passed on your success to several others around the world who are working on the same problem---they too will delighted to hear the progress made. Regarding the software, if you give me an email to monty@umpire.com then I'll pass on my thoughts on the subject. I will also forward information concerning several other projects which could be useful.

My regards,

Edward Rogers.

For those who maintain an interest in the development of a cheaper Braille cell display, see our (Bristol Braille Technology's) latest drive for information about what is required. Please be aware, by participating you may well be able to positively effect the course of our development. You have been warned! :)

RNIB Forums discussion and survey

Thank you.

Ed Rogers

Back