Pros and Cons in Rochester, NY

zerocool

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to hear out from you guys on AD.

-

My family and I (includes three kiddos) might move from the West to Rochester,NY this late Summer and what are the pros and cons living over there?

1) What are the people doing there for fun?

2) Is there a young or an old population living there?What is best/safe location to rent a place?(and rent cost)

3) How many months in a year do we see snow on the streets?

4) Any tips on the LONG road trip with kids? (Ages range: 2 to 13)

Thanks in advanced!

Curious, whats the reason?

My wife begged me back to West. I like west a lot but was not sure if I would end up homesick for Rochester.

My big issue is I'm rooted, not easy to make decision in this position.

Well, when I moved up here and that was 1992-1993 and the winter was rather brutal and tons of snow. I have seen blizzard, done experienced 40" snow dump overnight and nobody was expecting this nor prepared for this (Happens only once). Now, I am seeing less and less brutal winter time and so is snow.

You will find as more common than usual that hearing people here knows signs at any kind of markets here.

I was at RIT last week, man it is now a college town. Not like it was 14 years ago.

Well -- its really not a ton of snow -- compared to further east of rochester. Rochester is really wussies with snow.

AS for finding place to stay - I'd stay out of inner city, gates.
greece,outer city, chili, brighton, henrietta, rush are all good places for family. Further out more expensive is webster, avon, pittsford.
I probably left quite a few places out but I have no idea of your budget, needs, kids sports, etc.

1) What are the people doing there for fun? There is deaf festival yearly at ellison park. this year is june 8th. lilac festival is almost over, park ave festivals. You can go to seabreeze park for local rides in water and coaster. darien lake is within driving distance for the day. niagra falls is the place to see for the weekend. letchworth state park is the grand canyon of the east. bristol mountian for skiers,boarders. I can list a ton more of things, but it all boils down to what your family is like and how busy you currently have been and how active your kids and you are.

2) Is there a young or an old population living there?What is best/safe location to rent a place?(and rent cost). As a landlord myself - all I can tell you is that it varies alot depending on area, what you want and quality.

3) How many months in a year do we see snow on the streets? This is a very tough question to answer now. 10 years ago I can say it from dec to april. Now things seems to have been changed. You can SEE snow fall as early as oct and as late as may, but it doesnt stick. It seems like snow doesnt stay till dec to feb/march. Currently the weather has warmed things up last month that its dry enough to play outside and mow the lawn/ start working the garden. however we are having a weird cold snap this week and I got thee fire going again yesterday.

4) Any tips on the LONG road trip with kids? (Ages range: 2 to 13). I cant help you with that -- I too have 3 kids basically in the same range as yours and its can be a challenge for any parent. How many hours of straight driving and what are you driving? how much stuff are you bringing? kids can be bored in 4 hours after games, movies on tablets/laptops. When I visit my in laws - I try to start the trip so there is a good 3 hour driving and stop for lunch or dinner so they can get out and stretch and be themselves. I even drove at night while kids were sleeping. So peacefull and no fighting - but can be lonely when spouse wants to sleep too. :aw:

Back