Program to Teach Deaf Children to Speak New To Wichita

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
Program to Teach Deaf Children to Speak New To Wichita - KWCH - Kansas News and Weather -

For toddlers, new words are a milestone.

But to Annabelle Ivy's parents, they're more like a miracle.

"There's just work all the time. It's a daily 24/7 working with her," says Steve Ivy.

Born deaf, 19-month-old Annabelle learns to speak at weekly therapy sessions after receiving a cochlear implant last year.

But until a few months ago, this kind of therapy wasn't available in Wichita.

"We've talked about it and you might have to move to another city," says Steve Ivy.

Auditory-Verbal Therapy is new to Via Christi and the Ivy's.

It works with children hard of hearing or deaf who depend on hearing aids or cochlear implants.

"We just have to provide different therapy to these kids who are dependent on technology," says Molly Lyon.

The sessions teach Annabelle not only to speak but listen without depending on sign language.

Beginning with syllables then moving to words and sentences.

"Hopefully if we're successful, the kids are conversing over the telephone," says Lyon.

Parents are taught the skills and teach their own children.

"We do not want to work from a remedial point of view anymore, we don't want to play catch up. we're taking these babies and trying to maintain them at their skill level," says Lyon.

Annabelle is still ten months behind toddlers her age, but her parents already see changes.

"I feel like she's taken off by leaps and bounds," says Kristen Ivy.

"We're just hopeful that it will keep rolling and she'll exceed her age expectations," says Kristen Ivy.

Just as important, the Ivy's don't have to leave to get Annabelle help.

"Now we have a home for her," says Kristen Ivy.

A physicians order and insurance referral is required for third-party reimbursement.

Parents may call Via Christi One Call Center at 316-268-8100.

The program is located at Via Christi Hospital-St. Francis.

For additional information call Molly Lyon at 316-268-8243.

Another program that appears to have an audist view on ASL...wonderful! :roll:

It works with children hard of hearing or deaf who depend on hearing aids or cochlear implants.
Did you see "hearing aids" That was me.

When one stragedy don't work, they keep coming up with another. When will they just give in and let these kids have ASL?

If parents can't do it 24/7 one in one,what make the school think they can when they have other deaf kids to worry about?

We just have to provide different therapy to these kids who are dependent on technology," says Molly Lyon.

The sessions teach Annabelle not only to speak but listen without depending on sign language.
One thing I don't get about oral only parents. Yes their kids don't use sign, but they have to be dependant on technology. Hearing aids/CIs and other stuff like that doesn't come cheap. You have to either have very good health insurance or pay out of pocket. Besides, they have oral interepreters. How is THAT different from an ASL 'terp?

"
Hopefully if we're successful, the kids are conversing over the telephone," says Lyon.
Why are parents so obessed with the fact that their kids might be able to talk on the phone? You can IM/e-mail/relay and many other alternatives!
P
arents are taught the skills and teach their own children.
Yeah, it creates helicopter parents. Gotta "enrich" their lives with therapy therapy therapy 24/7!
"
We do not want to work from a remedial point of view anymore, we don't want to play catch up. we're taking these babies and trying to maintain them at their skill level," says Lyon.
Then go with ASL. Almost all dhh kids with oral skills will be able to use them and aquire them. But only a small percentage are going to be totally on par with hearing kids. I rememeber rick48 saying that it's very common for even oral sucesses to have speech/language therapy in elementary school.

Annabelle is still ten months behind toddlers her age, but her parents already see changes.
Seems to contradict the above sentance.

These parents and these medical professionals are just so obsessed with making their children "hearing". :roll:

These parents and these medical professionals are just so obsessed with making their children "hearing". :roll:
I can understand why these parents would want there children to hear, but I can't understand why they wouldn't want them to learn ASL. First of all it could be a second language for them and please correct me if I am wrong but it is my understanding that with CI's and HA's they can't be worn all the time such as when swimming or bathing so if the family goes to the beach the child would have no communication, I have only met one parent with a child with CI's and she was teaching ASL for these reasons. It took me a while to get my head in the game but I always knew in the back of my head that ASL would be a part of our life.

I can understand why these parents would want there children to hear, but I can't understand why they wouldn't want them to learn ASL. First of all it could be a second language for them and please correct me if I am wrong but it is my understanding that with CI's and HA's they can't be worn all the time such as when swimming or bathing so if the family goes to the beach the child would have no communication, I have only met one parent with a child with CI's and she was teaching ASL for these reasons. It took me a while to get my head in the game but I always knew in the back of my head that ASL would be a part of our life.

Yes, there are parents of children with CIs who value ASL but there are MORE parents of childrne with CIs who thrive to make their children as "hearing" as they can. There are parents like that with children who wear HAs only. It is a decades decades old problem that happens in the Deaf community...child grows up oral-only, discoveres ASL and the Deaf community, the child wishes they had it growing up. The pattern just keeps repeating itself.

I was one of those children myself and so were so mannnnnnnnnnny of my friends and mannnnnyyyy members here on AD.

when will these hearing people listen to us?

I can understand why these parents would want there children to hear, but I can't understand why they wouldn't want them to learn ASL
AMEN! Hearing and speaking skills are an excellent tool....but hyperfocusing on speech, speech speech and hearing is just redicloius

Those kind of parents... I call them D U M B because they think having kids who are deaf is wrong. They do not want to learn how to accept and adapt. It is similar to having a kid with down syndrome, blind, missing fingers, and so on. They are just D U M B in their heads and heart.

Yes, there are parents of children with CIs who value ASL but there are MORE parents of childrne with CIs who thrive to make their children as "hearing" as they can. There are parents like that with children who wear HAs only. It is a decades decades old problem that happens in the Deaf community...child grows up oral-only, discoveres ASL and the Deaf community, the child wishes they had it growing up. The pattern just keeps repeating itself.

I was one of those children myself and so were so mannnnnnnnnnny of my friends and mannnnnyyyy members here on AD.

when will these hearing people listen to us?

What's worst is that these people feel threatened that their CI children will not learn to speak or something if they use ASL. I'm not talking about deaf children with hearing aids. I'm talking about about children with cochlear implants, which they claim is going to help them appear like a normal hearing child. If ASL really a threat to their speech and can't trust CI alone to help them develop speech, then more proof that they DO need ASL in their life. Or we will have the same cycle all over again. I keep reading blogs and such why parents choose AVT without ASL for their kids. It's the same reason when I was a girl with hearing aids.

Back