Program Helps Deaf Drivers: Card identifies hearing-impaired

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
http://www.shorepublishing.com/archive/re.aspx?re=8d50b2fe-f2ec-4600-9aad-4b01d80d8535

Waterford - A new program aims to aid communication between police officers and the deaf and hard of hearing.

It provides a large bright green envelope labeled "Important Papers," instructing drivers about what to do in the event that they are pulled over while also cluing the officer in to the driver's hearing impairment.

The envelope goes above the driver's side visor and tells drivers to place their hands on the steering wheel, point to their ear, shake their head "no" and put their driver's license in the envelope for the police officer.

The program is sponsored by the Connecticut Police Chiefs Association, partnered with the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles and the Connecticut Commission on the Deaf and Hearing Impaired. It was officially launched two weeks ago, said Murray Pendleton, chair of the Connecticut Police Chiefs Association's Highway Safety Committee. Envelopes are at every police station in the state as well as some town halls and senior centers. The chiefs got the idea from a similar program in Virginia, he said.

In a memo to all of Waterford's police officers, Pendleton wrote, "Police officers are encouraged to stand so their lips can be seen while speaking ... writing short concise notes if necessary, and if issuing a written warning, infraction or summons allow the deaf/hard of hearing operator to view the completed document prior to ending contact with the individual."

Besides those born with hearing impairment, the population of senior drivers, said Pendleton, is growing at a rapid rate and larger than ever before and miscommunication is not uncommon.

"Taking that driver's license away, one of the last major benefits," he said, can be upsetting to seniors.

According to the state Department of Motor Vehicles, one in five drivers is hearing impaired.

Other CPCA members who worked on the program are Commissioner Ralph Carpenter, Chief James Strillacci, Chief Anthony Salvatore, Deputy Commissioner Tony Portinova, Deputy Chief Phil Pessina and Chief Louis Fusaro.

If would be a lot easier if the driver simply had his drivers license and registration ready before the police officer walks to your window. It wastes out time to have the driver sit there not ready and the police officer having to say everything and the driver act "dumb" simply because he or she is deaf. My license has "hearing aid" on the back as my restriction. I simply have my license ready. If he talks, I point to my ear and shake my head in a "no" motion. He looks at the license and then understands. Instead, I sit there holding the steering wheel and point at my hear while shaking my head in a "no" motion... and I probably look like a dumb idiot who's got the 'shakes'. For all we know, anyone could fake that and that's putting the police officer at risk. The sooner you prepare yourself with your license and registration, the more you show the police officer that you're cooperating and that's what they want... your cooperation. By being stubborn and playing the "I'm deaf" game, you're telling the police officer... "I'm deaf. Take it easy on me. You're gonna have a hard time communicating with me." Once the police officer sees that, he is going to realize that this pull over is going to take a lot longer and you're just wasting your time doing that.

Yes, I'm deaf. I can't always understand the police officer because of the traffic around him and the light he usually has in my eyes (I can't read his lips in bright light.) As soon as I get pulled over, I simply take out my license and registration, then hold both in my right hand within immediate visibility (as soon as he looks in the window, it should be the first thing he sees). As soon as he starts talking and I hand him the papers, I look towards him and point to my ear and shake my head with a "no" motion. Since he already has the license in his hand, he will look at the back... "Oh" and proceed to communicate in the best manner possible... usually the paper-&-pen method. Problem solved.

XD You sound like you've been pulled over quite a few times there, buddy. Okay, sorry. xP I couldn't help myself. I can't even DRIVE yet, so I don't know WHAT i'd do. I'd probably just yell "HARD OF HEARING!" And drive around him in circles. Because that's what I do best. Is annoy people. o.o

Back