Profoundly Deaf and tinnitus both sides

I am born Profoundly Deaf and do get tinnitus but it not so bad because it mild, if I am thinking or doing something I don't notice it. I usually notice it when I lie in bed trying to sleep.

Seriously, anyone with tinnitus has both my profound respect and empathy. I cherish those times when I don't need to wear my hearing aids (my girlfriend knows I'll just lip-read her) and am terrified of suffering from this problem.

I've been extraordinarily lucky in my life that there is only one extremely rare nightmare that I've ever actually suffered from, and it always involves an excruciatingly loud sound that makes me feel like my head will eventually explode - genuinely terrifying.

Concentrating on a different sound or thought usually solves the problem, but I've also heard that meditation is an excellent way to control it. Bottesini's suggestion that this may also be a physical, rather than mental problem, is both fascinating and not just a little disturbing.

Question to those of you who have experienced this first hand: Do you just have to ride it out or can you actually defeat it mentally?

Agree with you. I'd rather not wear hearing aids and lip read often becuase the loud sounds are excruciating (with hearing aids). I, too, one ear is profound the other severe, had tinnitus for as long as I can remember. Sometimes it's annoying and sometimes light. Most of the times it strikes though, I also get dizzy and just gotta wait the moment out. Part of my fear of getting the cochlear is that I will miss the quietness- I've grown to embrace it- but not in societal way. I've gotta adjust to the change and deal with it.

Back