Profound Hearing Loss - Hopes and Expectations

blackberry

Reaction score
I'm newbie here, and my mom 72 yo was diagnosed with profound gearing loss in both ears, with damaged nerves. While chance of recovery is slim, we have to look at the hearing aids. She did not have her HA appointment yet, but we are wondering what is realistic to expect.

I don’t have exact audiogram in front of me, but in areas around 2Khz it reaches up in severe area. Also, using (excuse my ignorance) HA that looks like MP3 player with pair of headphones and black box with mike attached to it, she was able to carry conversation. She can hear hand clap ad finger snap. When I talk loudly she can hear the sound but can't make sense of my words, and also, she is able to hear phone ring, and again my voice but no understanding of it at all.

This is all info I have at the moment, and if you guys can comment on that and give us orientation in the situation where we don’t have a lot of experience.

Thanks,
Ed

it depends on each individual.. I have profound hearing loss and I can make some of speech with hearing aids and speech reading.. some can't ... right now, I am listening to the music and can understand some of lyrics.. some people with profound hearing losses can't understand speech at all and can only hear some environmental sounds..

My advice is to wait for her to get her hearing aids... she may decide if hearing aids do help her well enough or not..

I’m lost in the manufacturers sites. Most of them do not specify which HA is designed for which type of hearing loss. For example, Widex site is total marketing and not enough info for the actual patience like this one is good for this etc. Any chance that you can list few candidates that might be suitable for profound hearing loss.

Thanks,
Ed

I’m lost in the manufacturers sites. Most of them do not specify which HA is designed for which type of hearing loss. For example, Widex site is total marketing and not enough info for the actual patience like this one is good for this etc. Any chance that you can list few candidates that might be suitable for profound hearing loss.

Thanks,
Ed

That's what the audiologist is for. May I suggest you that you do not go to the "run of the mill" hearing aid dispenser. They usually just "sell" their product. I'm a victim of one a few years ago. For example: HearRx, Beltone, etc etc.

Hearing aid amplify sounds depending on how much residual hearing she has. Some people have only lows left, some just the highs. That's where the audiologist can come and and do more deeper analysis of the audiogram, and determine which hearing aids is the best for HER situation.

Thanks,
Ed

For a profound loss the only thing that she can wear is a BTE. For a profound loss she will need a Power BTE. To name a few from the larger companies there is the Phonak Naida, Phonak Supero, Oticon Sumo DM, Widex Senso P...basically you are looking for things that say Power.

That being said, as has been already mentioned you really need to talk to an audie for more specifics!

To answer your questions about expectations...It is very different for each person. I have a VERY profound loss (around 110dB with many No Responses) With my hearing aids I can hear speech, though I can't understand it. I can hear and understand many environmental sounds.To communicate I speech read/speak for the most part. I prefer ASL and 'terps and use ASL in every situation that I can.

On my behalf and on behalf of my mom, I thank you all.
For both of us any piece of information is useful, so if you have any advice that we can use please let us know.

Thanks again...
Ed

Since I do not know your country of origin, here is a link that can help you find a group that can help you find the best possible audiologist and also other ways of coping with hearing loss.

Hearingloss Association of America

They can also refer you to your state's Hard of Hearing agency, so hopefully there can be ways to alleviate the costs incurred by the expense of the services and aids.

Good luck!!

Did you try talking to a certified audiologist that also works with hearing aids?

That's right.............a CI can be AWESOME for those with VERY "deep" profound losses. Also those who are late deafened do well with CI.
She might also maybe consider a body worn aid. Those can sometimes give more of a power boost, then do BTEs. However if her speech perception is very poor, even with aids it might be a good idear to go directly to CI!

We are going to see audiologist today, and see can the HA help. Will keep you posted guys.

Thanks,
Ed

Well folks, decision is Oticon Sumo on both ears. Chances are that she will be limited to one on one communication with HA and llipreading combo. Getting environmental sounds should be OK.

Ed

Oticon Sumo is a good aid! Will she have access to any kind of hearing help classes where she can learn speech reading tools?

That's right.............a CI can be AWESOME for those with VERY "deep" profound losses. Also those who are late deafened do well with CI.
She might also maybe consider a body worn aid. Those can sometimes give more of a power boost, then do BTEs. However if her speech perception is very poor, even with aids it might be a good idear to go directly to CI!

CI is also very AWESOME for those with severe hearing loss who can get qualified for it.

Blackberry. Your mom may or may not do well with HA's. I've actually told my mom, who has worn HA's for yrs to go in and get tested for CI. I have no idea what her hearing loss is at this time. She does do ok with HA's. But I think she'd do well with CI if she qualified. And the vast majority of people with CI's (including me) will tell you that it is much better then HA's. So if she still struggles while using a HA, you might want to try testing for CI.....it just depends on what she wants. Hope the HA's do work well for her.

CI is also very AWESOME for those with severe hearing loss who can get qualified for it.

Blackberry. Your mom may or may not do well with HA's. I've actually told my mom, who has worn HA's for yrs to go in and get tested for CI. I have no idea what her hearing loss is at this time. She does do ok with HA's. But I think she'd do well with CI if she qualified. And the vast majority of people with CI's (including me) will tell you that it is much better then HA's. So if she still struggles while using a HA, you might want to try testing for CI.....it just depends on what she wants. Hope the HA's do work well for her.

jag,

if you ask me, answer is whatever it takes. but my mom is 72, diabetic with high blood pressure. can she take it doctors will tell. at the moment let's stay with that.

folks, i thank you all for helping us thru and all your ideas/suggestions/advices.

cheers,
ed

Back