Not open for further replies.

Cain Marko

Reaction score
You have to read this.

NEWSPAPER ARTICLE

COLUMBIA PROF
WISHES DEATH FOR GIs

By CLEMENTE LISI
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 29, 2003 -- American soldiers should suffer "a million Mogadishus" in Iraq, a Columbia University professor told thousands of students and faculty members at an anti-war forum.
Nicholas De Genova said those inflammatory words - a reference to the Somali city where 18 U.S. soldiers were killed in the 1993 incident that inspired the movie Black Hawk Down - at an "anti-war teach-in" Wednesday at the school's Low Library.

"The only true heroes are those who find ways that help defeat the U.S. military," said De Genova, an assistant professor of anthropology and Latino studies.

De Genova also asserted that Americans who call themselves "patriots" are white supremacists.

De Genova's hopes for an American defeat in Iraq was cheered by the crowd of 3,000 people who had gathered at the five-hour anti-war lecture.

"If we really [believe] that this war is criminal . . . then we have to believe in the victory of the Iraqi people and the defeat of the U.S. war machine."

De Genova said the U.S. Army is composed largely of men and women with a "treacherous lack of prospects for a decent life."

The 35-year-old professor's mention of the bloody Somali ambush where American soldiers were dragged through the streets was largely met with silence from the stunned crowd of peaceniks.

Two professors who spoke after De Genova immediately distanced themselves from his explosive anti-American comments.

De Genova could not be reached for comment last night.

In a statement released yesterday, a Columbia University spokesman said De Genova "was speaking as an individual at a teach-in. He was exercising his right to free speech. His statement does not in any way represent the views of Columbia University."

History professor Eric Foner, who helped organize the event, said he did not share De Genova's opinions on the war.

"I disagreed strongly and I said so," he said. "If I had known what he was going to say, I would have been reluctant to have him speak."

Foner said De Genova was a last-minute invitee and one of 25 speakers who "did not represent the general tone of the event - which was highly educational." With Post Wire ServicesNEWSPAPER ARTICLE

That guy is wacked. Why would someone wish for ppl to die, no matter who they are, Americans or Iraqis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back