Problems with smart dogs

Beach girl

Reaction score
I mentioned in another thread that poodles were so smart, they need to have things to keep their minds occupied or they will figure out things to do all by themselves, which might not be what you want.

Casey has just proved the point. We have a small covered kitchen wastebasket that has the step-on lever to open and close.

Within the last two days, Casey has figured out how to step on the lever to get into those yummy plastic wrappers and styrofoam meat trays that held chicken from the grocery store.

First time I thought it was a fluke, when I found plastic trash all over the kitchen, obviously taken out by one of the dogs. I suspected Casey but wasn't sure. I thought maybe my husband or I had neglected to close the bin.

Today I actually SAW the little bugger go up to the waste can and deliberately put his foot on the lever to open it up.

Aaggh! I see a larger trash can in our immediate future - one taller than Casey's head so he can't try this trick again!

:lol:
Poodles are smart dogs! My family had a medium sized poodle that lived to be 16, and you wouldn't believe half of the stories we have about him. (Near his end, he became blind but unfailingly retrieved newspapers from the front lawn, for one.) No wonder the Navy Seals use them in their missions. :)

The Navy Seals use poodles? Seriously?? I did not know that. They are excellent retrievers, for sure, and there is a group of poodle owners who are dedicated to training them for water retrieval sports, to get back to their origins as sporting dogs. Mostly it's the Standards and sometimes larger Miniatures who are used as water retrievers like that.

Finlay was sneaky too! He would get on his hind legs and wash my dishes in
the sink for me! I would be watching TV and he knew I could not hear him! My living room and kitchen are right together.

I was out shopping with my ex husband and a car horn was honking for awhile, we when to see what going on and there was a dog leaning on the horn ! He was telling it owner to hurry up! A few peole went outside to see if something was wrong , we all LOL when we saw it was a dog ! The dog looked Eddie on 'Fraiser'!

my dog is a back chatting bugger!
If I tell him off he looks at me and barks, giving me the eye!
He knows who's boss but he's stubborn and likes to push the boundaries a little...

He's a 2yr old Great Dane!!

Back