Problems with buzzing

There is also Input Dynamic Range and Output Dynamic Range. Beyond my understanding to explain but that I'd what their research people told me...

Can you please explain and send me the infos/resources/links? Thank you so much!

Can you please explain and send me the infos/resources/links? Thank you so much!
Actually my sources are the research staff at Cochlear, and I can't because I don't understand it fully. I think it means it can take in a wide range but out it out to the electrodes in a smaller range or vice versa. Like ur would pick up 40idr. But spread that across 60 ODR so you would have a 50% increase in variation between the sound levels. This might make it easier to detect sound/speech differences ...
That's my understanding anyway... I could be totally wrong

Actually my sources are the research staff at Cochlear, and I can't because I don't understand it fully. I think it means it can take in a wide range but out it out to the electrodes in a smaller range or vice versa. Like ur would pick up 40idr. But spread that across 60 ODR so you would have a 50% increase in variation between the sound levels. This might make it easier to detect sound/speech differences ...
That's my understanding anyway... I could be totally wrong

Really? I hope so! Can I have research staff's contact? I think I have seen a page that talks about two charts for 40 DB and 80 IDR a few weeks ago. Could not find it. I think its somewhere on Alldeaf Forum.

Really? I hope so! Can I have research staff's contact? I think I have seen a page that talks about two charts for 40 DB and 80 IDR a few weeks ago. Could not find it. I think its somewhere on Alldeaf Forum.
Unfortunately I can't give you that but PM me and I might be able to ask them a specific questions. I am supposed to have another appointment beginning of June.

Unfortunately I can't give you that but PM me and I might be able to ask them a specific questions. I am supposed to have another appointment beginning of June.

That's fine. I will PM you shortly. Thank you so much!

How many mappings can you have? I only get 1st day, 2nd day, 1 month, 3 month, 6 month, and 1 year and then every year.

You can have as many as you need. I am over 200 mappings but most were done in the research process obviously.
Most were done to test a specific research parameter. Not to "improve my programming" per se

There is also Input Dynamic Range and Output Dynamic Range. Beyond my understanding to explain but that I'd what their research people told me...
It's possible the wider IDR is not FDA approved. Research participants are exempt from some things I guess. Our it may not be approved for the specified earlier implant etc.
It's crazy what FDA has to approve. The WNR wind noise reduction program for example has to be approved individually for each processor and implant combination...
Thank the lawyers...

The wider IDR is not approved??? Can my audiologist wide IDR from 45 to 60/70? Are you using some features for an IDR of 75...like scan settings? I know AB uses CV feature or something for noisy settings.

The wider IDR is not approved??? Can my audiologist wide IDR from 45 to 60/70? Are you using some features for an IDR of 75...like scan settings? I know AB uses CV feature or something for noisy settings.
I think it's approved now, Not sure, But that IDR for N6 Is definitely available and adjustable.
Yeah, I think I actually have too many of the additional programs active actually, SCAN seems to work good

The chart is anxiously out of date... contrary to popular belief, just because you read it on the internet, does not mean it's true....

The chart is regularly updated and gets it's information directly from manufacturers. It's entire purpose is to be as up-to-date as possible. If you can find corraboration for the IDR information, they will happily update it. The other chart is not sufficient as a reliable source and is actually at odds with the book "Programming For Cochlear Implants."

I believe SCAN may incorporate the IDR into it, but so far it seems it is not a programmable option in the current version of the programming software.

The chart is regularly updated and gets it's information directly from manufacturers. It's entire purpose is to be as up-to-date as possible. If you can find corraboration for the IDR information, they will happily update it. The other chart is not sufficient as a reliable source and is actually at odds with the book "Programming For Cochlear Implants."

I believe SCAN may incorporate the IDR into it, but so far it seems it is not a programmable option in the current version of the programming software.
Ok I'll see if I get more info at my next appointment beginning of June.

Ok I'll see if I get more info at my next appointment beginning of June.

You might also review this: https://books.google.com/books?id=8...a=X&ei=s9w6VarPLtDisATb84H4CA&ved=0CCoQ6AEwBA

Cochlear does not seem to be deviating from the 40 db IDR. It may not be possible with the current array without sound quality suffering. They are certainly incorporating some tricks to work around it, but it isn't the same as Med El or AB. If it was, Cochlear would be shouting it from the rooftops or touting it as a technological break through. It would certainly be found in plain sight on the N6' website describing the features.

Cochlear Implant Online is known for numerous inaccuracies, ommisions, and is rarely recommended anymore as a reliable source.

Last edited:
Great link, wish I had that book, would go a long way to understanding the programming better. I think that edition was prior to N6.
I only know what the audiologist told me and changed.

Great link, wish I had that book, would go a long way to understanding the programming better. I think that edition was prior to N6.
I only know what the audiologist told me and changed.

The edition I linked to pertains to the N6 and N5.

I would like to be clear on what they did, as well. IDR shouldn't be tied to a processor though, so I'm guessing there are tricks the N6 has to simulate a wider IDR that is obviously working for users. I'm seeing plenty of raves about the improvement in sound and music from those with the N6, more-so with SCAN and use of the wireless accessories.

The edition I linked to pertains to the N6 and N5.

I would like to be clear on what they did, as well. IDR shouldn't be tied to a processor though, so I'm guessing there are tricks the N6 has to simulate a wider IDR that is obviously working for users. I'm seeing plenty of raves about the improvement in sound and music from those with the N6, more-so with SCAN and use of the wireless accessories.

the wireless accessories are pretty cool. if you get the mini microphone, it has a standard 3.5mm stereo jack input on the bottom that you can connect to any audio input. it shuts off the external speaker and works as a wireless transmitter. I don't use the phone so haven't really played with the bluetooth phone clip other than to test it works with my Galaxy and to try streaming music.
The larger remote is cool because you can modify the telecoil or accessory mixing in advanced settings. there is also an auto telecoil mode.

good to know about the book, I read the sample section and had lots of great info so just ordered a copy from Amazon. Could have saved $20 getting the Google books version but I think a paper version will be better for bookmarking and flipping between sections. Plus can sell it later.

Last edited:
I think it's approved now, Not sure, But that IDR for N6 Is definitely available and adjustable.
Yeah, I think I actually have too many of the additional programs active actually, SCAN seems to work good

According to BleedingPurtist, he said, "I believe SCAN may incorporate the IDR into it, but so far it seems it is not a programmable option in the current version of the programming software."

What does that aboove mean? IDR is not available in N6? How did your audiologist change from 45 to 75? Where did you see this setting? I am trying to get a mapping shortly for this.

Updates :)

Okay...a few updates.

First.... my IDR was only 60, not 80 as she'd told me before. AB suggested she bump it up to 70.

We reset my T-levels to default. (I saw no real difference with that.)

We moved my clearvoice from low to medium...

And we knocked my last two electrodes down by 20 points.

IMMEDIATELY I could hear much better...repeat my hubby with my eyes closed.... so it wasn't a matter of patience or experience. It was just a bad map.

The buzzing is still there but its minimized and they're trying to find solutions to get rid of it...but its much better.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

So I'm reading through the "Programming Cochlear Implants" book i bought. Just came across this. "A persistent report that programming possesses a static noise-like quality may suggest that stimulation is being delivered to an area of the cochlear with substantial neural degeneration or a void of neural innervation. In addition it may be possible that stimulation is eliciting a response in an area of auditory nervous system that has long been deprived of auditory stimulation" P62-63

the latter would suggest giving yourself weeks or even months to get used to having that area stimulated. the former might be an indication to turn off the offending electrode(s) all together and shift those frequencies to adjcent electrodes...

Back