Problem with tower/CD-ROM/WinXP

Reaction score
Hello gang;

I need some help here related to hardware issues and OSes.

My friend is trying to install Windows XP on her computer and it won't let her install Win XP fully. By fully, I mean it won't even read some of the critical files like .dll, .sys and some more. I would be spamming the "enter" button to retry reading the CD for the files but it would keep saying "can't not find (filename)". Sometimes it would go through, sometimes it will not, so I would have to press ESC to skip the file, and yes I know, Windows XP need all of the files in order to work fluidly and smooth but I had no choice and see what skipping the file can do. The result: Windows XP experienced a BSOD and I couldn't even load WinXP at all.

Before making an attempt to install WinXP, she had an old 10 GB Fujitisu HD and she wanted to upgrade to a 80 GB Western Digital HD. She also upgraded the RAM size to 384 MB. The OS before everything else, was Windows ME (ME = :rifle: ). It was so fcked up, I couldn't even get around on WinME because it was loaded with spywares and viruses due to the extreme slow-downs and constant crashes. I wiped it out and tried to install Win2000 but it didn't go through, it experienced the same fate WinXP did. Keep in mind, I was trying to install Win2000 on her old 10GB HD. After she upgraded to 80GB, she bought the home edition version of WinXP and tried it on her new HD but it won't go through.

I suspect it could be the R/W laser lens of the CD-ROM. Could it be because of the lens, it won't read the CD completely, it probably locked into place and when I clicked on "enter" to retry, it kept trying to get out of its place to read but it won't for some reasons. Would you think it's the CD-ROM drive or a certain component in her computer that's preventing her from installing WinXP? I tried to do the process of elimination and I thought in the first place, it was because of the corrupted hard drive, she couldn't install Windows 2000. Now on the new hard drive, the same problem arised and it can't be the new hard drive... it has to do something with the CD-ROM, not being able to read the CD properly...

Let me know what you guys think, and hopefully one of you guys experienced this before and share your experience with me. Thanks in advance!

:lol: almost sound like mine. ;-/ but thats why i'm afraid to reformat again cuz of my cd is so screwed up. I thanked someone to fixed it and i dont know how he did it but.... i need that again cuz of my stupid .dll is missing on IE and constantly crashing more often.. pisses me off.

anyone, do u know what the heck is ythkeovw.dll or yhtkeovw.dll for internet explorer something like that -- i'm not sure abt the spelling file. but its closer to that. i'm starting to strangle this computer. LOL HELPPPPPP :P

Last edited:
Beacuse maybe your old CD-ROM driver with problem. (i think)

PyrollisAhFiros, wonder if that cd is copied from original xp.

i had some experiences with that like what she has even i have a dvd drive and a dvd burner. i had xp copied cd. sometimes it worked and sometimes it didnt work on both drives. if she tried the original xp cd on, then i dunno.

per your statement, it sounds like your friends cd drive could be a factor. try to replace it with new one and see what happen. cd drive costs about 30 bucks and dvd drive costs about 50 dollars.

No it is a legal copy she bought from Newegg.com. I wouldn't let her use a pirated copy of Win XP because I know MS will do whatever it take to investigate all of the computers to find who are using pirated copies of Win XP so I don't want to put her in high risk of losing everything.

PyrollisAhFiros said:
No it is a legal copy she bought from Newegg.com. I wouldn't let her use a pirated copy of Win XP because I know MS will do whatever it take to investigate all of the computers to find who are using pirated copies of Win XP so I don't want to put her in high risk of losing everything.
Hmmm, since your friend own a legal copy, she can try and download off the pirated one to test to see if it is CD-related issue or not. Since your friend do have a legal copy, she wouldn't be in trouble if she download a pirated copy however I would recommend your friend to get a pirated copy and test on CD-ROM to see if it is CD-ROM issue or not. That is only way to find out unless she knows some friend who do have a legal copy that she can borrow to test it.

If it still does not work then the fault definitely lies in CD-ROM. If it does work then something wrong with her legal copy.

Just a thought, Pyrollis.

Magatsu said:
Hmmm, since your friend own a legal copy, she can try and download off the pirated one to test to see if it is CD-related issue or not. Since your friend do have a legal copy, she wouldn't be in trouble if she download a pirated copy however I would recommend your friend to get a pirated copy and test on CD-ROM to see if it is CD-ROM issue or not. That is only way to find out unless she knows some friend who do have a legal copy that she can borrow to test it.

If it still does not work then the fault definitely lies in CD-ROM. If it does work then something wrong with her legal copy.

Just a thought, Pyrollis.

That's not a bad idea, but when I tried to install Win 2000 on her old 10 GB hard drive, it experienced the same problem the Win XP CD did, and it's a pirated copy (uh-oh) but she bought her own copy of Win XP. Could not be the CDs but it has to be the CD-ROM that's acting weird.

But what fails me to understand is that how the fck did her legal copy of Win ME install beautifully with no problems while Win 2000 and Win XP didn't.

Anyays, thanks all for your help, especially Magatsu

Please do not copy the cd because it is making people legal to stop copying the cd with Windows XP. If your friend really need the Windows XP, then your friend should buy the Window XP Home Edition CD for $199 that has no upgrade for Windows 1995, Early Windows, etc.

you can buy Windows XP Professional for less than 5 bucks at the RIT bookstore....

btw, that issue defintely sounds like a cd-rom problem. simply swap the one out of your computer and test to see if it worked. ah this thread is 4 months old, you probably figured the problem by now anyways

Yea right! less than 5 dollars! Im laughing

Sorry I know cuz I was there!

Yukoneer said:
you can buy Windows XP Professional for less than 5 bucks at the RIT bookstore....

btw, that issue defintely sounds like a cd-rom problem. simply swap the one out of your computer and test to see if it worked. ah this thread is 4 months old, you probably figured the problem by now anyways

diehardbiker65 said:
Yea right! less than 5 dollars! Im laughing

Sorry I know cuz I was there!

Fine, believe me or not. They do have them for less than $5. Its only for students (you'll have to sign a release form authorizing you're a student, blah blah), and you'll have to ask for it - they don't advertise it. The cd-roms are in a simple plastic package and in a box behind the computer sales desk. I believe that they started selling it for that price in February or April of '05. Needless to say, I bought 3.

They started that to help alleviate the problem with illegal windows systems around campus, at least Microsoft is getting some $ out of it.

Back