Problem with HA's

blank canvas

Reaction score
Well, the ear molds that is, and only the right one, the left one goes in not problem but the right one on the other hand HATES me. I swear I have been nice to it, its grudge is unwarranted!! It takes me 5-10 min to get it in right, audiologist says its because I have small ears... but wouldn't they both be difficult to put in that case. Ok well heres my question, is it possible they made the mold wrong? If not any tricks to getting it in (I tried to word this differently and failed...)?

Wirelessly posted

Very possible and common. Ask him to make another. If it still a problem then your audiologist is probably telling the truth.

blank canvas, I have had my share with these stupid molds specifically when they are done by inexperienced audi, I suggest that you ask him to change it as you have the right to change it for free within 60 days, if it does not work, change the audi, LOL, I did it twice and it worked very well with me, these molds are very important to us if an audi can not do them right, fire him.

Wirelessly posted

Very possible and common. Ask him to make another. If it still a problem then your audiologist is probably telling the truth.

Either that or have the audiologist "shave" off the problematic area(s) to make it fit....that is, if it is too large. For an audi to not do anything....well, I'd run the other way!

Wirelessly posted

Oh btw, I usually insert the canal(or however you call it) part of the ear mold first , then rotate the earmold til it line up with the ear and push the earmold in.

I asked if it was possible to 'cut' it down and he looked at me like I was crazy :crazy:

And I do insert the canal part first... but it hurts on the right side, after its been in for a bit it seems to soften up or maybe it just goes numb lol, I don't have any feeling on the left, surgery took that away, so I don't know if its the same on both sides.

I forgot to add, I think it is a good idea to always get hypo-allergenic molds, too...sorry a little off topic....I HAVE had my audi shave off here and there just a bit to make it fit better and keep feedback at bay.

I forgot to add, I think it is a good idea to always get hypo-allergenic molds, too...sorry a little off topic....I HAVE had my audi shave off here and there just a bit to make it fit better and keep feedback at bay.

Ya I believe they are hypo because I told him I'm allergic to everything lol when we made the molds i had a bad reaction to the oil stuff they put on the cotton... I think I need to find a new audi, he was much nicer then the first one, but then again I told the first one no to Ha's until I came to terms with my loss he thought that was odd, and had no problem voicing it

I agree with the others. Ask to have a new mold made (I've had to do that almost everytime I get new ones). If s/he refuses then find a new audi.

Yes - it's possible and common for ear moulds to need some minor adjustments (or even a complete re-make).

With acrylic moulds they can be marked and sanded down by the HA tech (some Audies know how to do this WELL too...others mangle it). for softer mould the can use a very sharp blade to remove a small amount of material that rubs.

Absolutely have them re-mould you for that ear - it's NOT correct, and don't let them tell you otherwise.

BTW I'm an adult but have "paediatric sized ear canals" and my moulds have all been FINE

I recently visited audiology because my left ear mould had split and needed replacing. When I asked if they could do me a new one for my right ear too, as it is a year old and quite discoloured, she said no and looked at me like I was trying to rob the NHS!

Government cut backs or just a mean audi, I'm not sure?

like you, I have small ears since I'm considered a "child" LOL but my audi makes the earmolds just right!
but I'm in the pediatric services :D

So I called the audi, and he had me come in on friday he tried putting the mold in... He had a hard time but did get it in, he then looked at me and said well you just need to get in at the right angle. Well, it still hurts, the left one doesn't, his response was that it was supposed to and the reason the left one doesn't is because I don't have felling left (they made an oops on me nerves during a surgery). So going to a new audi, actually was referred to one that makes them cheaper!

Thank you for all of your advice! I probably would have gone on believing him that they in fact were supposed to hurt...

Ya... I need to tell the ENT not to send people to him, or maybe I need a new ENT too hmmm

The size of your ear should have nothing to with getting an ear mold in! That is the most craziest thing I heard , if that was true all people with small would have the same problem. You had the mold made to fit your ear . Have new one made or like someone said try having the old one filed down. You can use a gel that meant for ear molds to help get in your ear easier. Your audiologist should have some gel.

Back