Probiotic Formulas Curb Diarrhea Bouts in Infants

Vance

Reaction score
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Compared with standard formulas, those containing beneficial "probiotic" organisms seem to reduce the number and duration of diarrhea episodes in infants attending childcare centers, new research shows.

Of two types of probiotics tested -- Lactobacillus reuteri and Bifidobacterium lactis -- L. reuteri may be the better supplement, according to the report in the medical journal Pediatrics.

Dr. Zvi Weizman, from Soroka Medical Center in Beer-Sheva, Israel, and colleagues assessed various infectious outcomes in 201 infants randomly given formula supplemented with L. reuteri, B. lactis, or no probiotics. All of the infants were healthy and attended childcare centers in Beer-Sheva.

In addition to having fewer and shorter diarrhea episodes, infants treated with the probiotic formulas also had fewer episodes of fever. Compared with the other groups, the L. reuteri group also had significantly fewer clinic visits, childcare absences, antibiotic prescriptions, and days with fever.

"The present controlled study is the first to compare two different species of probiotic microorganisms and their efficacy in the prevention of common infectious illnesses in childcare infants," Weizman's team states.

"In most of the parameters studied, the differences were consistently in favor of L. reuteri," the researchers add.

Source: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050112/hl_nm/infants_diarrhea_dc

I want to share about one family I know. Nas' cousin's baby have diarrhea problem time to time. I don't know how or why but Nas' cousin 'out of blue' asked me for suggestions to stop diarrhea problem when her conventional doctors' recommendation (mostly, drugs of course..) are no help or worse the condition. So Nas' cousin gave up on conventional doctors and ask me for help. I made some recommendations and she tried all... in three days, diarrhea problem is gone and Nas' cousin said that her baby don't have that problem for almost 8 months now.

Diarrhea problem? Suggestions:

1) Probiotic: Primal Defense - http://www.gardenoflifeusa.com/digestive_health.shtml (price is bit steep but it is worth your baby and his/her health. You can get it bit cheaper thru online store)

2) Remove the grains from your baby's diet completely for a while until diarrhea condition is gone.. You can either no more grains or re-introduce the grains.. if you pick latter one, be sure to introduce the grain to your baby's diet slowly. homemade brown rices, bread, etc is the best choice. Stay away from 'white' products such as white bread, white crackers, etc.

3) Cut the juice down if you feed any. Juice have its own laxative-like effects.

Again, I am not certificated doctor.. I am just a doctor-student at this moment so consult your doctor first before make any decision.

Edit: I fixed the url for right product. Sorry about it.

Last edited:
I would like to tell you about my experience with diarrhea from babies to adult.

With babies to toddler, you should mashed the banana, zweiback (small dried bread) herbal tea to feed baby to prevent from diarrhea. (No apple, fats, milk, juices).

Children to Adult:
Very plain chocolate, banana, zweiback, rice, glass of coke. (not diet pespi) The diarrhea gone for only 1 to 2 days. It does HELP without living on medician.

If the diarrhea is still after 3 days then check with doctor.

This is interesting... I havent seen those formulas in the supermarket yet.. right now Landon's struggling with a bit of constipation (I think because he is starting the baby rice in formula), so apple juice and lots of water helps!

Thanks for the info on the formula, moms are always searching for the best thing to feed their babies :ty:

apple juice ? :eek:

Never give babies to children apple juice when they have diarrhea.

Liebling:-))) said:
apple juice ? :eek:

Never give babies to children apple juice when they have diarrhea.
Kitten is talking about constipation, not diarrhea. If constipation, yeah apple juice will do the trick. But you are right, if baby have diarrhea problem, it is better off if he/she didn't drink apple juice.

Liebling, I learn a new thing about zweiback. I have to check it out!

Here is link for Zwieback! It´s very popular in Italy who eat for their breakfast. I do eat them sometimes. Butter the zweiback and jam mmmhhh but for diaherra without butter and jam.

Markenzwieback = Rusk

http://www.dcimports.com/branzwiebtoa.html

Sorry, I misread RK´s post. Thank you for remind me. :ily:

Last edited:
Back