Probably asked a million times before but...

NatalieDeJayy

Reaction score
What's your opinion on deaf-hearing relationships.?
Do they last.?
Deaf-hearing vs. Deaf-Deaf?

Hello everyone. I’ve spent the past few days Googling things about deaf-hearing relationships mainly because I’ve grown very fondly of my new deaf friend. We met about..

A week ago at a camp for burn survivors. I myself am a burn survivor. Have been for 7 months so technically, I am still what we call a “baby burn” due to the emotional toll & etc. Anyways, at this camp I met my friend Deborah who is also a burn survivor (burned when she was 5). We are both 14 right now. The whole point of this camp wasn’t just to have fun but to be aware that as much as we felt alone or isolated because of our burns, we weren’t the only ones. They had support groups & therapy sessions for everyone including siblings of the burned persons. This is where my deaf friend comes in.

His name is Solomon, he’s 15 & Deborah’s older brother. He has been deaf since he was 2-3 months. When he was still very small, one of his lungs collapsed & the other had a hole punched through. I’m not sure why or how this happened but from what Jr. (their oldest brother, 17) told me, it was very traumatic. Solomon was living off machines when his doctor suggested they use a medication that would practically save his life but could end up taking away all or most of his hearing. His parents agreed & eventually Solomon got better. As he grew older, the doctors noticed that the medication took a big toll on his hearing & in the end, he only had 20%. Since he was now deaf, his parents decided to home school him & Jr. This meant that everyone in their house-hold, including the oldest sister (18), had to learn sign to better accommodate for Solomon. A year later, Deborah was born & she was taught sign before she even knew how to speak so it was her first language. At camp,

Solomon didn’t need interpreters at all since Jr. & Deborah were always around for him & he’s very good at reading lips. Once I became friends with Deborah, I asked her how I could introduce myself to Solomon (what? I thought he was cute & wanted to get to know him). She showed me & from there me & him managed to communicate as much as possible before the camp ended & trying to talk without needed Jr. or Deborah around. We liked to keep things private.

Since they were from the same area I’m from, we’ve been keeping in touch through Facebook & texting & I’ve been brushing up on my ASL & deciding wether to change from Spanish to ASL once school starts. I want him to notice that I’m willing to learn ASL & go through all the struggles to be with him. Anyways… I guess this was just a post so someone who understands will listen to me. *sigh* I’ve been getting mixed responses from my family & friends so it’s better to know what others’ experiences are & their opinions first. Thanks for reading through all this. I really appreciate it.

I have NO experience, but in my opinion, if you are both able and willing- go for it. Communication and respect are the two most important things to the success of relationships. ...And shared values, but most people really don't get that deep. If you guys can communicate and respect each other and are willing to work at it- go for it. You're not marrying him- just dating. If things are too hard, or differences too great- which can happen to any two people, you break up. And you might get a friend for life. My first boyfriend and I became interested in each other because we both loved Sign Language. We studied it together for years. Things didn't work out, but we have been best friends for over a decade. Lol, hope this was remotely helpful.

It's certainly possible for a hearing/deaf couple to last. The other day I found a vlog series featuring two adopted deaf children; their father was Deaf and their mother was hearing.

It's also entirely possible to learn ASL outside of school, especially if you have someone to practice with. Immersion is the best teacher. :)

Thanks to everyone. @caz12 ; I dont think the school will let me take both languages even if I take it in separate semesters/years. I must stick with one language for my 4 years of high school. @Vanthie ; my friend was saying I could use that as an excuse to spend more time with him. Hehe. Which would be nice. I've been carrying a notepad around when we're together in case I don't know a certain sign (I'm using an online course in my very minimal spare time) or I do a sign wrong & he can't read my lips. If any of you are even interested on what's been going on between Solomon & I, I'd gladly let you know in a message. Either way, thank you for the comments.

Back