Private vs Public School

DeafSCUBA98 said:
...in fact i see many pravite schools don't have to wear uniforms here in minnesota.

and public schools in huge city in huge school are starting to require wearing uniforms...
Same here. More public school students wear uniforms than private school students.

I attended public school. We sent our daughter to Christian school. Now, she sends her sons to the same Christian school. If there was not a good Christian school available, I would have home schooled. There is no way I would send my child to a public government school.

I have interpreted in public elementary, middle, and high schools, so I have seen what goes on in those schools.

Why should I send my child to a school system that opposes my beliefs and provides an inferior education? No thanks!

BTW, the graduates of Christians schools have no problem succeeding in the best colleges, universities, and military academies.

Reba said:
I attended public school. We sent our daughter to Christian school. Now, she sends her sons to the same Christian school. If there was not a good Christian school available, I would have home schooled. There is no way I would send my child to a public government school.

I have interpreted in public elementary, middle, and high schools, so I have seen what goes on in those schools.

Why should I send my child to a school system that opposes my beliefs and provides an inferior education? No thanks!

BTW, the graduates of Christians schools have no problem succeeding in the best colleges, universities, and military academies.

High 5 girl!!! I agree with ya.

Reba:
Question: Does Germany have any private schools?

Your question:
http://www.alldeaf.com/showpost.php?p=384927&postcount=56

Yes, but it’s irrelevant in Germany. We really have no idea why a lot of children of wealthy parents go to Public Secondary School, Grammar school and School of Economics instead of go to private school where we have 4 different groups of public schools in Germany and one private school in town where I live. :dunno: We believe its something do with Religion :dunno: As far as we know that all of school systems are under the supervision of the state. The parents or guardians have the right to decide what their children can receive religious lesson or not. The teacher have no obligation against parent’s will to give their children religious lesson.

We went parents evening yesterday with interpreter to discuss for preparation of our children’s future interest over what's cons/pro about kind of public school what we have Hauptschule (elementary/primary school), Realschule (Secondary school) and Gymnasium (grammar school) but there're only Wirtschaftschule around Bavaria (School of business/School of Economic).
They brought this issue over private school by coincidence, that's how we began to discuss about this issue.
The teacher explained us that Public/Private school have almost similar programs and have same children rights law due authorities. At private school, all the day until 5 pm due the career of parents or wealthy parents (they have no time to support their children with homework, sports, etc.) which public school doesn’t (depend on 4 different group of public school to 2pm to 3pm) then go home to make their homework, sports. We have few sports including public school but at private school have more. That’s all. The parents and teacher were puzzled about my question over private school when I asked them either the parents are allow to choose any private school for their children whatever they like. The teacher said: “Of course it’s parent’s decision and rights what is the best for their children’s interest” but remember it’s question of MONEY. I asked again about school rules over parent’s private background. My question got them more puzzled & odd. They are VERY shock when I finally told them about a girl and gay parents and private school’s rule etc in your country. They agreed that every countries have different rules where there’re no freedom of parent’s private rights and they would not have their children to put closed minded school when they knows about those rules. All what they said is: the parents should respect school rule when they have different rules and simple go to look other school with better rules. I have to agree with them. We have no idea why the mother of a girl does that since she know there’re different school with better rules. We need mother’s side why she choose that school.

Oh yes, I forget to add bit more what the teacher explained us yesterday.

Depend on how children's education, the private school want to know.

If the parents decide to change from public school to private school, then they have the right to know about children's interest and why they decided to change from public schools to private school and want to know children's behavioral and education background. They need Public School's report to have their review. Bad report are not acceptance then they have to put secure home or boarding school instead of go to Private school if the Public schools are not accept volience/disrespect children.

The private school rule doesn't bother to know about children's background and interest since they goes their FIRST school there.

i went to a public school there about 2000 kids 10-12 grade ... our middle school went from 7-9 grade not the usual 7-8 grade. some of the kids had to share lockers.. I don't even want to how many kids are attenting now.

diehardbiker65 said:
I like the idea of uniform, so I don't have to hear my kid begging me for that expensive fad fashion clothes, whatever. It is NOT necessary! I sent my kid for education, NOT BRAGGING RIGHTS! Or other hand I don't want my kids to get picked for cheap clothes. Smaller classroom is other reason why.

Yeah, I am with you. Kids is Kids *sigh*. I rather to see my children to wear uniform. Unfortunlately, we dont have uniform for private/public schools here in Germany :(

Yeah, it´s cruel to hurt/judge other kids´s clothes... :( I remember when Danny was 8 years old that´s time. He came school with upset and told me that they make fun of him because he dont have any expensive name on his clothes. We drove to Republic Czech. which its 2 hours away from my area to buy clothes with "name" like nike, addias, etc with terrible cheap. Some of kids are not stupid... I taught Danny to smart kids off... Simple tell the kids that he like the way what he wear. He did but it work great... He told them that he like this clothes he wear... They said nothing and leave him alone... They havent tease him for long time now.

Private schools are an independent schools. Parents can choice various curriculums what their kids should be taught. Problem is that there are some pressure on kids, because they are expected to fulfill dreams of their parents.
But private schools are promoted very well and resort lots resources.

I feel goverment should improve public schools (they should spend more budget for education, instead of for military), then all of parents, no matter if they are poor or rich, were able to send their kids to these. Then all kids would have equal access to good education. Is that justice, isn't?

Flint said:
...I feel goverment should improve public schools (they should spend more budget for education, instead of for military), then all of parents, no matter if they are poor or rich, were able to send their kids to these. Then all kids would have equal access to good education. Is that justice, isn't?
In South Carolina, our government keeps increasing the public schools' budgets, and our state still ends up in the educational toilet. We are usually #48 or 49 out of 50 each year. Our taxes go up, and the grades go down.

Our private schools, especially the Christian ones, spend much less money on each student but get better results. Money is not always the answer.

Even if the public government schools could improve their scholastic achievements, I wouldn't send my child to them because of their strong political and cultural bias against Christian beliefs.

Reba said:
Our taxes go up, and the grades go down.
That is true -- I 100% agree with you because of lousy morality for our children in the future. When the children's education is declining, these children are our failure . The reason for my saying is that they will be CONTROLLED by our government in the future. To buy and sell with the mark of Beast is to BLOCK the shoplifting -- You see "Prepay" at a gas station for the beginning. When "prepay" is no longer used, ALL people must have the mark on their forhead or hand.

That is why private schools are to establish anywhere in the USA, then they can stand up for God and fight AGAINST the "control" by our government. More Freedom! Better morality!

To increase our taxes is to control our money, but we are stuck because we are powerless dues to our failure toward our intelligence. Extreme brilliant politicans can control "dumb" people.

To increase intelligences is to make more sense. To decline intelligence is to make more nonsense. When our children's intelligence is declining, they are nonsense to make decision by choosing what they want; whom they want to vote for.

Public schools educate our children to DESTROY the freedom of religion in the future because of the evolution against the creation in public schools right now. They also destroy our freedom for what we want to enjoy. For example, parents have to pay thousand of dollars for their children's car insurance -- They can't save $$$$$$$!!!!

Public schools also educate the children AGAINST their parents. Do you know that ?

Public schools mess up with our morality, law, education, constitution, religion and others. What damage!

Public schools make the children hard on their parents' burden. Our children in public schools are unapproved abnormal behaved, sexual attracted such as "promiscuity", drugged each other, cussing each other, gangs, drunkard and many sinful practices.

Private schools make the children light their parents' burden. More morality -- no fornication, no social drinks & smoking, no cussing, no drugs and others.

Reba said:
...and public government schools don't teach science and history with a biased viewpoint? Ha, ha, that's a good one! :lol:

In my experience with private vs. public schools, yes. I've gone to both private and public schools. While in private school, we were always taught the softer side of History, and it was specifically focussed on the Protestant Anglo-Saxon viewpoint. In science classes, we skipped all over the book. I'd say about of the quarter of the textbooks' sections were omitted from being taught, and many of those sections just happened to be on topics like evolution, big bang, the Earth's age, etc. I transfer to public school, and am left far behind in these subjects because of what I haven't been taught. I will admit, I was fortunate enough to have a good history teacher throughout all of high school that taught events and details that would not have been taught by any normal teacher, public or private school.

I do not appreciate the education I recieved from private school, at all. Each student was required to take a religion class every year, and because the school was a Lutheran-based school, the students were segregated into two different classes, Lutheran, and non-Lutheran. In these classes, I felt like I was being brainwashed. One of the topics the teacher actually took the time to teach was the evils of modern music. We were actually taught KISS stands for Knights In Service to Satan. I think that speaks for itself.

Even if the public government schools could improve their scholastic achievements, I wouldn't send my child to them because of their strong political and cultural bias against Christian beliefs.

Bias or neutrality?

Public schools make the children hard on their parents' burden. Our children in public schools are unapproved abnormal behaved, sexual attracted such as "promiscuity", drugged each other, cussing each other, gangs, drunkard and many sinful practices.

Private schools make the children light their parents' burden. More morality -- no fornication, no social drinks & smoking, no cussing, no drugs and others.

I don't think whether a student goes to a private or public school has anything to do with a child's behavior. It has more to do with domestic, peer, and media influences. Both public and private schools have various anti-drug, anti-violence, and abstinence campaigs, programs, and presentations. Drugs, gangs, violence, etc are all probelsm that are present in both public and private schools, and I know this from experience.

cental34 said:
In my experience with private vs. public schools, yes. I've gone to both private and public schools.
I attended public school from kindergarten thru high school, from the East Coast to the West. I attended public and private colleges, and got two degrees from state colleges, and one from a private college. I have worked in public schools, elementary, middle, high school, and college. My daughter attended public school, home school, and private Christian school. My grands are attending Christian school. So I have some background in various kinds of educational settings, in several states, and throughout various decades. As a "side" interest, I like to read about the current U.S. educational situtation.

There is a huge variation in private schools, religious and secular. There are some top-notch wonderful Christian schools, some mediocre, and some downright awful. Also, the term "Christian school" includes schools with very nominal "Christian" focus, and some with radical curriculums, all lumped together. So your experience and mine are quite different.

While in private school, we were always taught the softer side of History, and it was specifically focussed on the Protestant Anglo-Saxon viewpoint.
I'm not sure what you mean by "softer side" of history.

In science classes, we skipped all over the book. I'd say about of the quarter of the textbooks' sections were omitted from being taught, and many of those sections just happened to be on topics like evolution, big bang, the Earth's age, etc.
Our school doesn't "skip" anything in the science textbooks. If your school didn't want to teach sections of the book, I wonder why they selected that particular book for their text? It sounds like they didn't use a book that fit their criteria. Curious....

Our school teaches what evolution is but not as an accepted theory. They teach creation science, with explanations of why evolution and old universe theories are not correct. People who study creation science actually know more about the various evolution theories than kids in schools that teach evolution exclusively. If only evolution is taught, it is taught in a surface way at public schools because without competition they aren't forced to prove their points.

...the students were segregated into two different classes, Lutheran, and non-Lutheran.
Our school is independent Baptist. They don't divide up the kids that way.

One of the topics the teacher actually took the time to teach was the evils of modern music. ..
Good. That is the beauty of private education. Public schools don't permit that kind of teaching.

I don't think whether a student goes to a private or public school has anything to do with a child's behavior. It has more to do with domestic, peer, and media influences. ..
True, children are exposed to many influences. That is why parents must make sure that their children get as much exposure as possible to good influences and correct teaching, and prevent exposure to bad influences and wrong teaching.

Reba said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "softer side" of history.
Details were left out to protect historic figures reputations and shape our viewpoint. Such us Columbus discovered America (he didn't, and we were not taught about he enslaved the natives of what he referred to as "The West Indies"), the relationship and interaction between colonial Americans and Native Americans, the actual reasons for the American Revolution. Teachers would not even touch the issue of slavery. I didn't even learn what an indentured servant was until 11th grade.

Our school doesn't "skip" anything in the science textbooks. If your school didn't want to teach sections of the book, I wonder why they selected that particular book for their text? It sounds like they didn't use a book that fit their criteria. Curious....

Perhaps there was no text book available that taught solely Christian-accepted ideas.

If only evolution is taught, it is taught in a surface way at public schools because without competition they aren't forced to prove their points.

Seems like the converse when it comes to private schools teaching creationism. I'd like to hear these reaons for why evolution are not accepted. In public school, we weren't taught solely evolution. In fact more time was spent on teaching creationism than evolution.

Good. That is the beauty of private education. Public schools don't permit that kind of teaching.

They don't permit that teaching for good reason: its false. When teaching why Christian music is supperior to mainstream secular music, it is important to know facts, and not just urban legends. KISS does not stand for Knights in Service to Satan, and no, bands like AC/DC, the Rolling Stones, Motley Crue, etc are not satan worshippers. These are the kind of things I was taught. There is just as much wrong with the Christian music industry as there is with mainstream music, but that is a whole different arguement.

True, children are exposed to many influences. That is why parents must make sure that their children get as much exposure as possible to good influences and correct teaching, and prevent exposure to bad influences and wrong teaching.

I've seen kids behave just as bad in private schools as kids in public. You are correct when you say its upto parents to limit and control their children's influences when attempting to control behavior.

cental34 said:
Details were left out to protect historic figures reputations and shape our viewpoint. Such us Columbus discovered America (he didn't, and we were not taught about he enslaved the natives of what he referred to as "The West Indies"), the relationship and interaction between colonial Americans and Native Americans, the actual reasons for the American Revolution. Teachers would not even touch the issue of slavery. I didn't even learn what an indentured servant was until 11th grade.
Thank you for explaining.

I don't know why your school didn't teach about indentured servants and slavery. :dunno: Our Christian school certainly covers it. Our school's curriculum for South Carolina state history uses the same textbook as the public school, which certainly covers slavery. This state played a major role in the sordid business, so it is definately covered in depth.

I do know that public schools don't cover the Christian perspective of history. Many historic figures were faithful men and women of God whose actions were guided by that faith. That part is usually left out or mocked.

...In public school, we weren't taught solely evolution. In fact more time was spent on teaching creationism than evolution.
I was under the impression that your private school taught creationism, and your public school taught evolution:
"I'd say about of the quarter of the textbooks' sections were omitted from being taught, and many of those sections just happened to be on topics like evolution, big bang, the Earth's age, etc. I transfer to public school, and am left far behind in these subjects because of what I haven't been taught."

They don't permit that teaching for good reason: its false. When teaching why Christian music is supperior to mainstream secular music, it is important to know facts, and not just urban legends. KISS does not stand for Knights in Service to Satan, and no, bands like AC/DC, the Rolling Stones, Motley Crue, etc are not satan worshippers. These are the kind of things I was taught. There is just as much wrong with the Christian music industry as there is with mainstream music, but that is a whole different arguement.
I'm not talking about Satan worship or backmasking or subliminal messages. I am talking about the lyrics and music, and the life styles of the artists. The lyrics glorify promiscuous sex, alcohol and drug use, violence, foul language, and disrespect. The rhythms, beats, and performances appeal to sensuality. The rock performers (for the most part) live immoral lives. You certainly can't say any of their music glorifies God.

Contemporary "Christian" music is very worldly. It imitates the sound and presentation of secular rock music. Many of the lyrics are not theologically or doctrinally correct and depend heavily on emotionalism. Many of their songs focus on the performer rather than the Lord. The production of their CDs is usually in secular recording studios, and often use worldly back up musicians. It is not acceptable. Our church never uses CCM.

But you are right, that is another topic. Sorry, :topic:

I've seen kids behave just as bad in private schools as kids in public.
Righto. I have also seen some great kids in public schools. :)

We sent our daughter to Christian school. Now, she sends her sons to the same Christian school. If there was not a good Christian school available, I would have home schooled. There is no way I would send my child to a public government school.

Well Reba, I think that some kids do need a taste and exposure to the real world. Like some kids are from families that take their love of Jesus to extremes....like ONLY Christian schools, and only Christian camps, and only Christian entertainment.
There's nothing wrong with that....but they need to learn that there is a real world out there. Some people say that public school is a good option b/c it creatates witnessing oppertunites etc....
Since when is public education anti-Christian? Most people in our society are Christian

I agree with Askjo and Reba.

Public schools mess up with our morality, law, education, constitution, religion and others. What damage!

I may add to that, there is a fact that some public schools do have contact CPS at school if there is anything incident. Sometimes public school counseling don't inform parents or favor on one side of the parents.

I was in High School, I wanted to go to Christian school or to be homeschooling but my mother couldn't afford to pay for me and didn't want to. I was disppointed. I stayed through until I graduated.

I have seen between public and private schools/homeschooling around them, public school children are more rebellion and private/homeschooling school children are well-manner behaviors and respect. It depends on what they have taught and how well manners they are. Not all of them. IMO.

Safari said:
public school children are more rebellion and private/homeschooling school children are well-manner behaviors and respect.
I 100% agree with you.

That is true in some cities. NOT all of them require this, my area don't require them.

cental34 said:
A lot of public schools systems are now requiring students to wear uniforms. Memphis City Schools just started a couple of years ago.

Mostly correct. Only handful of locality offers incentives like that. My area, been debating and died. So never happened :(

mld4ds said:
I disagree unless you get school voucher from local/state/federal government. It has nothing to do with property taxes for the private schools.

Anyone vouch Deafscuba's theory?

i have this class in school and omg, they tell LIES IN politics all the time and I think that public schools should be teaching both sides, so that students can see the differences . Politics are the biggest conflict in public schools.

Back